Jurassic World [SPOILERS]

sweetness

Started promisingly enough but my god... what a fucking shitheap! I'll start by saying the male lead was pretty good, I liked the guy actually so no complaints there. The dialogue was good with some moments that were lacking. The action scenes were decent, nothing wrong but nothing mindblowing. The premise seemed fair... then it turns into a basic rehash of the first film... and loses any sign of fucking cohesion along the way! The plot is an absolute joke... what a crappy dinosaur to make, it had better be spooky if that is the evil dino... I don't know how to explain it, but I was waiting for the ''false start'' after the hybrid rex escapes, but then it turns into a hunt the dino, save the kids sludge.

Don't even get me started on part raptor. I actually skipped the last ten minutes as I was clenching my fists in prehistoric rage. I enjoyed some of the attraction examples since I am a humongous fan of the novel and a little of that was splashed in there. The two kids weren't too annoying but they were a kind of distraction and convenience, I'd have preferred seeing the park from different ch's POV than those two linked to the female lead. That death scene of whoever the fuck the poor babe was, that cracked me the hell up, how BRUTAL for some insignificant damsel :D Henry Wu's time to shine was a bag of shit, he was made out to be evil with no fucking build up. Also, when did they bother explaining how the park got fit for purpose since Hammond never got CLOSE to opening the thing, I learned more or less jack shit about that leap in time.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Started promisingly enough but my god... what a fucking shitheap! I'll start by saying the male lead was pretty good, I liked the guy actually so no complaints there. The dialogue was good with some moments that were lacking. The action scenes were decent, nothing wrong but nothing mindblowing. The premise seemed fair... then it turns into a basic rehash of the first film... and loses any sign of fucking cohesion along the way! The plot is an absolute joke... what a crappy dinosaur to make, it had better be spooky if that is the evil dino... I don't know how to explain it, but I was waiting for the ''false start'' after the hybrid rex escapes, but then it turns into a hunt the dino, save the kids sludge.

Don't even get me started on part raptor. I actually skipped the last ten minutes as I was clenching my fists in prehistoric rage. I enjoyed some of the attraction examples since I am a humongous fan of the novel and a little of that was splashed in there. The two kids weren't too annoying but they were a kind of distraction and convenience, I'd have preferred seeing the park from different ch's POV than those two linked to the female lead. That death scene of whoever the fuck the poor babe was, that cracked me the hell up, how BRUTAL for some insignificant damsel :D Henry Wu's time to shine was a bag of shit, he was made out to be evil with no fucking build up. Also, when did they bother explaining how the park got fit for purpose since Hammond never got CLOSE to opening the thing, I learned more or less jack shit about that leap in time.

I think they basically made it out to be a venture that the rich Indian guy tokk over from Hammonds ideas/ legacy or whatnot. To me the movie wasn't so much about dinos as it was about corporate greed and how filthy rich people dream of big ideas and want to make them a reality.

I think most of the people that came out of the movie saying "It was sooo good" are probably not even old enough to remember the first jurasic movie or they are just the other percentage of braindead people who can't lift their concentration off their damn cellphones for more than five minuets without having a panic attack.

Bryce Dallas Howard can play a good bitch and Chris Pratt looked buff and dashing running around. But he's about all I really went to see it for anyways. :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

JP Marathon!

1. Still one of the most awesome movies ever made. Makes me feel like 10 year old me seeing it in the cinema every time I watch it. Essential piece of my childhood.

2. Still holds up fairly well. I know I'm probably one of the few who feel this way. But it has it's great moments. Passable.

3. The movie equivalent of DJ Ashba. It's really that bad. There are two things in it that are unforgivable. They had raptors who piecefully take back the eggs you stole from them, nod, and leave. The other one is making T-Rex (completely unnecessarily) look like a bitch trying to establish Spinosaurus as a badass. I'm also still bummed about the cellphone that can survive, maintain a signal AND be heard like it's lying on your coffee table...all from within the stomach fluids of a bigass dinosaur.

And then there's 4. The new kid on the block. Reflecting on it now... I still don't like the trained raptors, but they're 100 times more plausible than the bullshit from 3. I'm not too happy with genetically engineered dinosaurs, but it does make sense. There's not a lot of character depth. But I couldn't care less. Mosasaurus is awesome. I love that. I love the premiss of a fully functioning park. But honestly... This movie is SO worth it for two reasons. The goosebumps I still get hearing the music and re-establishing T-Rex as the fucking hero it deserves to be. That alone makes me love it to bits. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, like everything is as it should be.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

It was alright. I was fairly disappointed with it. Memory's a bit shady but there were so many things that annoyed me and its nothing to do with the rest of the series at all.

Thought the older kid was an asshole to start with, just really didnt like him, and I just couldnt forgive him when he improved throughout the film.

The younger kid was decent but something about his acting or script didnt sit right with me, just felt he was too old and intelligent to be acting the way he was sometimes and then when he grabbed his brothers hand later on, it was supposed to be funny, but it just made me cringe.

Then there's the bit where the lead guy's flying through rough ass jungle like its fuck all on the motorbike with the raptors putting on what looked like a synchronised display was just too much. It just looked like a video game! If that part just looked more natural, it actually couldve been pretty cool.

And then there's just little things like when the kids get into the glass sphere thing and the door just casually almost takes his leg off and no one bats an eyelid! Haha what! Just little things like that keep screaming at you "AAAABSOLUTELY NONE OF THIS IS REAL, ITS AAALL C.G.I!". It was funny cause after the film, me n my gf were on about what we didnt like n we both noticed that glass sphere part.

However, it was alright.

The best bit for defs was when she got old T-rex out. I actually got chills haha that was actually awesome.

I already went on a rant how angry JW made me being a JP nut, more or less centred around the first book and first novel, though 2 is okay, 3 is just hilarious and JW well there's not very much right with it but a few impressive moments, Pratt is actually likeable and deserved much better surroundings. The premise had so much potential but just seems pissed away into a largely forgettable pool, they were going to make dough anyway if it was even halfway acceptable, which it was until the end, but it wasn't anywhere close to halfway impressive for me but many other folk seem impressed so whatever.

I really found the last 20 minutes unacceptable, just downright ABSURD, it was abysmal, I don't know what they were thinking but boy was it disgusting.

Edited by RandallFlagg

• 9 months later...

I just thought that without making a redundant thread, I might add my 0.02$ in...
I really enjoyed JW when it came out, as a huge fan of the franchise. I saw it twice. However, on reflection, I think, while it makes for a nice reboot of the franchise, it doesn't feel like any of the other films, and it feels a little like fanfiction at times. It is MUCH better than III, though.

But, overall, I also wanted to say that I think The Lost World gets waaaay too much hate, and I think it may be the best film in the series, or at least tied with the original for the title. It's got great action sequences, it's the ultimate dinosaur B-movie without being stupid, it's got a cool '90s environmentalist message at its core; outside of Vince Vaughn, I love the entire cast. It doesn't enchant the way the first film does, but it's just, for me, got that nostalgic something that makes me watch it more than the rest.

I really liked JW. I think if they removed the whole military subplot and all of its ham fisted dialogue about war and what not, and gave us some more Dino action, or put more emphasis on the mystery of the I. Rex's DNA, then it could have been even better.

There were a lot of cool moments, its easy to follow, and generally hits the right notes at the right time. Honestly compared to the giant garbage heap that is JP3, JW is pretty refreshing for an assembly line reboot.

Also gotta agree with those who are Lost World fans, I still really enjoy that film, and it is the only one that feels like a natural sequel to the first film. Even the sequence with the T.Rex in San Francisco feels acceptable as time moves on. I think the film is just aging well now, the on site filming, classic special effects, original cast members, and an island where the dinos roam wild were all handled well.(say what you want, but Lost World has the most well constructed and well shot environment of the films IMO). It's aged pretty well, despite its reasonable flaws.

Edited by Dan H.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Dan H. said:

Why would the military want weaponized dinosaurs?

Don't they have like... Drones and shit?

What a stupid concept

They aren't doing it.

Besides, taking down a militarized raptor is probably harder than taking down a drone. That's why.

Either way, doesn't seem like they're going with that idea like it seemed, so I'm fine with that.

22 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

They aren't doing it.

Besides, taking down a militarized raptor is probably harder than taking down a drone. That's why.

Either way, doesn't seem like they're going with that idea like it seemed, so I'm fine with that.

Thank God. You could take down a raptor with a drone, sniper, guns, rocket launcher, take, landmines, etc etc with total ease.

Or nerve gas them, like they do in the books. They can open doors really clumsily, big deal. A rocket launcher can blow a door open.

The humans in the films are just always in situations where they are outnumbered, have no combat training, or don't have effective weapons, obviously to ramp up the tension. But put a raptor against a Navy SEAL?

I never liked the militarized dinosaurs idea. Never made a lick of fucking sense. Glad they made the right decision.

Edited by Dan H.

• 6 months later...