Top Gear

Snake-Pit

Guest Len B'stard

I deeply despise Top Gear and, more accurately, that fuckin' poof Clarkson. Him and Gordon Ramsey are the two most intolerable people in British popular culture at the moment, nothing i'd love more than to see them get the slap they so richly deserve just for being the people that they are, cannot stand the sight of them.

it's such a 'lads' show :rolleyes: Patronising...Clarkson and his boyfriend and their fuckin' middle class humour, ugh, makes me wanna hang myself...and other people too.

Edited by sugaraylen

it's such a 'lads' show :rolleyes: Patronising...Clarkson and his boyfriend and their fuckin' middle class humour, ugh, makes me wanna hang myself...and other people too.

Since I am middle Class, I like Top Gear :lol:

Allthough I hardly watch it anymore. I love the old shows the most, feel the same as Dazey

Wow, didn't expect the hate. I love the show. Don't care about the staged stuff, the humor is often pretty good. The specials are great, they go to a lot of places that most people of the Western world would never see/know much about (parts of India, Vietnam, Bolivia, rural Africa, etc.). The show might have some issues, but it's a lot better than 80% of the garbage that is called modern television.

And I like cars, they have very interesting ways of testing them. Other shows do it more by the books, but if I wanted a run in the mill review, I'd read an online/print journalism review. Let the TV show be a TV show.

I only watch it if Porsches are on it.

Keeping my fingers crossed they drive the 918 next series... we'll see.

Edited by OmarBradley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought it appropriate to resurrect this thread given the airing of the new series. Anyone else see the first two episodes yet? I thoroughly enjoyed them..... and that P1..... can't wait for the P1 vs. 918 race they're gonna do, though I'm sure the P1 will demolish the 918. Reports are saying that the P1 has done the Nurburgring in around 6:30..... :o

Edited by OmarBradley

The P1 is an interesting car and very fast, though I suspect that the LaFerrari will be faster still. How fast is too fast, though? I know people with cars that would demolish the P1 in a straight-line and they still don't think that they are fast enough. :lol:

That's possible, it's a bit lighter, but it has less bhp and torque than the McLaren, so it will be interesting to see. And yeah you can throw $3000 of nitrous into a car and make it go like spaceship in a straight line, but put it around a track and it'll crash the second the wheel turns for the first corner. The McLaren is an engineering masterpiece, like the Veyron. Looking forward to the The Ferrari, don't know that the 918 is going to be anything terribly significant compared to those two though given that it weighs more than both the McLaren and Ferrari AND has less power.

The P1 is an interesting car and very fast, though I suspect that the LaFerrari will be faster still. How fast is too fast, though? I know people with cars that would demolish the P1 in a straight-line and they still don't think that they are fast enough. :lol:

That's possible, it's a bit lighter, but it has less bhp and torque than the McLaren, so it will be interesting to see. And yeah you can throw $3000 of nitrous into a car and make it go like spaceship in a straight line, but put it around a track and it'll crash the second the wheel turns for the first corner. The McLaren is an engineering masterpiece, like the Veyron. Looking forward to the The Ferrari, don't know that the 918 is going to be anything terribly significant compared to those two though given that it weighs more than both the McLaren and Ferrari AND has less power.

That is true, but I know people with Gallardos with 1500WHP, Ford GTs with well over a thousand HP, Supras and Skylines that will do the 1/4 mile in the 8 second range, etc; none of those cars are just put together from bits from Pep Boys!

Used to be my favourite show, however the past couple of series have been absolute rubbish. The guys are phoning it in and everything is so scripted and staged ugh <_< back when it was actually a good show it was just about 3 guys messing around in a bunch of cars and really enjoying themselves with little to no scripting. They're just catering to the masses these days...

^See the above example for idiotic scripted humour :max:

Edited by grouse

Used to be my favourite show, however the past couple of series have been absolute rubbish. The guys are phoning it in and everything is so scripted and staged ugh <_< back when it was actually a good show it was just about 3 guys messing around in a bunch of cars and really enjoying themselves with little to no scripting. They're just catering to the masses these days...

^See the above example for idiotic scripted humour :max:

I sort of agree with this. It's pretty easy to figure out what is scripted though, if you have any sense. The past few series have contained some of my favorite segments, even with the scripted accidents and events, there's still plenty of genuine discourse and car enjoyment on the show. I think some of the choices they've made the last 4 or so series to do obviously over the top things were stupid. But there are few shows on right now that capture my attention to the same degree as TG (Homeland and House of Cards, and that's about it). I liked the third episode. Looking forward to the P1 vs. 918 showdown.

• 1 year later...

Anyone been watching this series? I liked the special (fuck knows the truth behind that license plate), and I've thought most of these episodes so far are just as good or better than regular TG. The guests have been sort of eh this series IMO.

Some jokes are very obviously scripted, but I don't care because they still deliver. Never been a huge fan of the star in a reasonably priced car. I think Americans don't gel as well with the British (and especially Jeremy) humour-wise. So I prefer British guests overall. I like the laps, just not too fussed about the interviews. Next week it's another cheap car challenge I think, I love those! ^_^

Still my favourite show on tv.

Edited by username

Anyone been watching this series? I liked the special (fuck knows the truth behind that license plate), and I've thought most of these episodes so far are just as good or better than regular TG. The guests have been sort of eh this series IMO.

Some jokes are very obviously scripted, but I don't care because they still deliver. Never been a huge fan of the star in a reasonably priced car. I think Americans don't gel as well with the British (and especially Jeremy) humour-wise. So I prefer British guests overall. I like the laps, just not too fussed about the interviews. Next week it's another cheap car challenge I think, I love those! ^_^

Still my favourite show on tv.

Yeah the scripted stuff has definitely been increasingly present the last 5 years or so, but it doesn't bother me too much. I don't mind which nationality the guests are, I've thought the British ones were boring and uninteresting this season as well. Thought Margot Robbie and Will Smith was actually pretty good, though I'm not particularly fans of either of them.

And yeah, cheap car challenges (and the specials) are generally my favorite things they do.