Top Gear

Snake-Pit

Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show

Glenister-574553.jpg

BBC bosses are reportedly in advanced talks to sign Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin as the new Top Gear presenters.

The three names have been among the frontrunners tipped to present the show for some time.

Kidd currently presents Channel 5's The Classic Car Show, while motorcycle racer Guy Martin has previously presented documentaries and Life on Mars actor Philip Glenister is thought to add an off-beat element to the line-up.

The show’s co-creator Andy Wilman, who has quit the series, was allegedly overheard describing the new-line up while having lunch with Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay, the Sunday Express reported.

The BBC has declined to comment on the speculation.

The alleged “dream team” line-up follows the departure of Jeremy Clarkson from the flagship BBC2 show after he was suspended by the BBC for punching a producer on set.

His co-stars Richard Hammond and James May also confirmed they would not be returning to the show without Clarkson.

Last week, Clarkson, Hammond and May were seen filming at Goodwood Motor Circuit, prompting rumours of a possible Top Gear comeback.

It later emerged the trio were filming for their forthcoming UK tour, formerly known as Top Gear Live, which has now been renamed Clarkson, Hammond and May Live following Clarkson’s dismissal from the BBC.

Top Gear will return in a new form next year, with BBC2 controller Kim Shillinglaw refusing to rule out the possibility of a female presenter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-jodie-kidd-philip-glenister-and-guy-martin-in-advanced-talks-to-join-show-10223806.html

Incoming Facekicker rant on feminism being shoved down our throats.

Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show

Glenister-574553.jpg

BBC bosses are reportedly in advanced talks to sign Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin as the new Top Gear presenters.

The three names have been among the frontrunners tipped to present the show for some time.

Kidd currently presents Channel 5's The Classic Car Show, while motorcycle racer Guy Martin has previously presented documentaries and Life on Mars actor Philip Glenister is thought to add an off-beat element to the line-up.

The shows co-creator Andy Wilman, who has quit the series, was allegedly overheard describing the new-line up while having lunch with Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay, the Sunday Express reported.

The BBC has declined to comment on the speculation.

The alleged dream team line-up follows the departure of Jeremy Clarkson from the flagship BBC2 show after he was suspended by the BBC for punching a producer on set.

His co-stars Richard Hammond and James May also confirmed they would not be returning to the show without Clarkson.

Last week, Clarkson, Hammond and May were seen filming at Goodwood Motor Circuit, prompting rumours of a possible Top Gear comeback.

It later emerged the trio were filming for their forthcoming UK tour, formerly known as Top Gear Live, which has now been renamed Clarkson, Hammond and May Live following Clarksons dismissal from the BBC.

Top Gear will return in a new form next year, with BBC2 controller Kim Shillinglaw refusing to rule out the possibility of a female presenter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-jodie-kidd-philip-glenister-and-guy-martin-in-advanced-talks-to-join-show-10223806.html

Incoming Facekicker rant on feminism being shoved down our throats.

If you recall Facekicker actually wanted a female presenter.

Jodie Kidd would be good because she already hosts another car show, has been a regular guest on Top Gear and if I'm not mistaken has set one of the fastest lap times on their track. She's good friends with Clarkson May & Hammond.

Make no mistake though. Top Gear has been a target for the PC Brigade for years now and they are just the kind of arrogant deluded twats that think they could relaunch the show fronted by the likes of Sue Perkins which of course would bomb leaving them wringing their hands and accusing the audience of misogny and the likes.

The manner in which Clarkson left has guaranteed the new hosts a rough start but if the BBC had any cop on they'd hire someone closely linked to the show in the past and Jodie Kidd would certainly fit the bill. And she's just the kind of person to demand that the first star in a resonably priced car be none other than Jeremy Clarkson

I personally think that the new hosts will fail no matter what. People watched the show for the chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and May and just throwing 3 new hosts in won't work. That's why, imo, the "international", locally produced versions of the show have mostly tanked. I know in Australia, there have been at least 2, maybe more attempts to launch "Top Gear Australia" and appart from the first episodes (which had Clarkson, Hammond and May in them) people's interest soon dissipated once the local hosts took over.

I know people who have no interest in cars, but watch Top Gear for the entertainment value the hosts bring. Now they're gone, they have no desire to watch the show anymore.

He was being sarcastic in that interview? Had a few drinks since it's my birthday so it's totally possible how I missed it haha

No, he appears to be sincerely expressing a belief that Clarkson is a cunt, i don't think a pre-requisite to that is political correctness. It's probably worth looking up who Frankie Boyle is before assigning him that moniker is alls I'm saying. Happy Birthday ;) In fact, youtube the worlds frankie boyle offensive and you'll probably find that 99% of the videos related to him on youtube warn you about his likelihood to cause offence...and in some brutally politically incorrect ways. I dunno if you've misunderstood the standard objection to political correctness but it's not really 'oh I'm not allowed to be a racist anymore, isn't that out of order' :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Len I think an awful lot of people who object to political correctness do so because they have no time for the professionally offended classes who go out of their way to take issue with the most ridiculous things like objecting to the term fairy lights because it is offensive to homosexuals.

Despite no homosexuals taking offence.

I don't think it is because people want to go around calling people wogs like the Major in Fawlty Towers. :lol:

Len I think an awful lot of people who object to political correctness do so because they have no time for the professionally offended classes who go out of their way to take issue with the most ridiculous things like objecting to the term fairy lights because it is offensive to homosexuals.

I don't think it is because people want to go around calling people wogs like the Major in Fawlty Towers. :lol:

I agree, an awful lot of people do object to it for that reason but at the same time, don't give the human race too much credit, you reckon all these BNP and EDL lot that go on about it are all like, all au fait with the vagaries of what objections to political correctness are? At the risk of sounding awfully stuck up the majority of your people on the street are thick cunts that latch onto ideas they've half understood cuz they think it reflects something other than what it's really about. I often do it myself, or have done before now.

For instance, go to any youtube vid (not that those are necessarily 100% airtight reflections of public opinion) for any one of them old TV shows from the 70s goin' 'ahahahahahaha, look at Alf say n!gger there, imagine that today, the PC brigade would go mad!' :lol: And that is actually what a lot of people think it's about, believe it or not. It'd be interesting as an experiment i think to walk up and down a high street somewhere in England and go about asking people what they think it means, i think the results'd suprise you.

I agree, an awful lot of people do object to it for that reason but at the same time, don't give the human race too much credit, you reckon all these BNP and EDL lot that go on about it are all like, all au fait with the vagaries of what objections to political correctness are? At the risk of sounding awfully stuck up the majority of your people on the street are thick cunts that latch onto ideas they've half understood cuz they think it reflects something other than what it's really about. I often do it myself, or have done before now.

For instance, go to any youtube vid (not that those are necessarily 100% airtight reflections of public opinion) for any one of them old TV shows from the 70s goin' 'ahahahahahaha, look at Alf say n!gger there, imagine that today, the PC brigade would go mad!' :lol: And that is actually what a lot of people think it's about, believe it or not. It'd be interesting as an experiment i think

to walk up and down a high street somewhere in England and go about asking people what they think it means, i think the results'd suprise you.

Nah having worked in retail for over a decade I know all too well what the average man on the street thinks . What was that quote of Churchill's again about a 5 minute conversation with the average voter :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope the BBC realizes that nobody will watch an incarnation of Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May for more than one episode.

They probably do, because I heard they've offered Hammond and May ridiculous amounts of money to come back.

Latest news is looking like they're talking with Netflix and ITV, favoring Netflix. Hope they go that way.

If they do, I deserve a medal, I was the first one to suggest Netflix, before any news publication, op-ed, or peer did!!! ZoSo, you can plan my commemoration ceremony. I want Pappy in attendance.

I'm the worst at planning things. I'd forget and then just buy a dinosaur birthday cake or some shit

Chris Evans to lead new Top Gear line up!
Some very exciting news for Top Gear fans as we announce our brand new host

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fasset

Everybody, we have some very big news! Yes, Chris Evans has signed a three-year deal to lead an all new line up for Top Gear.

And it's straight over to the man himself: "I'm thrilled, Top Gear is my favourite programme of all time. Created by a host of brilliant minds who love cars and understand how to make the massively complicated come across as fun, devil-may-care and effortless. When in fact, of course, it's anything but and that's the genius of Top Gear's global success.

"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward."

Kim Shillinglaw, Controller of BBC Two and BBC Four, said:

"I'm so delighted that Chris will be presenting the next series of Top Gear. His knowledge of and passion for cars is well-known, and combined with his sheer inventiveness and cheeky unpredictability he is the perfect choice to take our much-loved show into the future.

"Chris is a huge fan of Top Gear and has great respect for the craft and work ethic of one of the best production teams in the world. He knows the phenomenal attention to detail it takes to make a single sequence of Top Gear, let alone a whole series. He is already full of brilliant ideas and I can't wait for him to get started."

Tim Davie, CEO of BBC Worldwide, said: "It‘s fantastic news for Top Gear fans around the world that such a brilliant broadcaster as Chris will be the figurehead for the brand across the globe."

We can also confirm that production on the new series of Top Gear will start in the next few weeks, and Series 23 will return both in the UK and overseas in early 2016.

More news as we have it...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/Chris-Evans-to-lead-new-Top-Gear-line-up-2016-06-16

Chris Evans, speaking on his BBC Radio 2 breakfast show, Wednesday June 17:

Last Thursday, I got a text from Mark Linsey, who is head of entertainment for BBC TV. Basically it said, "Would you be interested at all in having a Top Gear conversation?"

I had never been offered the Top Gear job before that. [...] So I called Mark Linsey back, and Mark explained to me that the situation had changed in the last 24 hours because Richard and James had finally ruled themselves out of a return to Top Gear.

Before that, they were very much considering returning. The BBC had made an offer to them, I was aware of that. And I wanted them to return, wanted Top Gear to carry on, as a fan. And I thought, honestly, as a betting man, that was going to happen.

So whenever I said I categorically rule myself out of ‘running for office' [...] it was because I didn't want to be a pawn in a chess game involving two - and in fact three, including Jeremy - of my friends.

A few weeks ago, James and I went on holiday together - me and my family, and him and his partner - for three days in France. We talked about what he might do, what Jeremy might do and what Richard might do... for most of the three days, if I'm honest with you.

I did not want to be involved in bookies' odds and all that kind of stuff, because that's not what the situation needed. I had to get out of that madness, and let other people get involved in that if they wanted to.

But it all changed, as I say, on Wednesday. Mark phoned me up and said, "That's [James and Richard returning] not going to happen, are you up for it?" At which point I said, "Can I think about it? I'll call you back..."

I talked to Will [MacDonald] about it. Will and my wife were the only two people I told. We decided that what I do for a living is radio and television and a bit of writing, and it [Top Gear] is the biggest television show in the world. It's my favourite television show of all time, you know how much of a fan I am of the show.

I love producing [...] so I said yes. We had our first meeting about it on Friday, and that was basically that. The weekend was strange and calm and exciting.

[...] Yesterday was a very interesting day. We decided we were going to announce it at 7.15[pm] on the BBC2 Twitter feed. We pressed the button [...] and waited for our phones to melt, and that's exactly what happened.

Before it was announced, I texted Jeremy and James and Richard and Andy [Wilman], and I've heard back from all of them.

James called me back straight away, within a minute of me texting him to have a chat, and we're going to meet up today and tomorrow and talk about things. Who knows what might happen there?

And then Jeremy texted me. He said, "I knew they would. [...] I knew you would, best of luck," and gave me a piece of advice, which I'm not going to repeat on the radio, to be honest.

Then Richard texted me back [...]. He said, "You were designed and built for that job and it'll be great. It was also always the BBC's very best option."

[...] So there you go, that's it. Now all I need to do is remember to breathe...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/chris-evans-presenter-top-gear-radio-two-clarkson-best-of-luck-2015-06-17

Edited by Daedalus

Fine with me, don't really care about "Top Gear" any more; just waiting to see what May, Hammond, and Clarkson do.

Nothing mentioned about co-hosts in the article... I'll be interested to see who it is, though I doubt I'll watch more than an episode or two.

Was it the show or more the fact it was Clarkson that you liked?

Fine with me, don't really care about "Top Gear" any more; just waiting to see what May, Hammond, and Clarkson do.

Nothing mentioned about co-hosts in the article... I'll be interested to see who it is, though I doubt I'll watch more than an episode or two.

Clarkson, May, and Hammond. They are like the Avengers, yeah they're cool when they do their own stuff, but they're a lot better together.

And I guess partially the show too..... but who came up with the format for the show? Clarkson mostly, and May, and Hammond. And Andy Wilman.

Edited by OmarBradley

Clarkson, May, and Hammond. They are like the Avengers, yeah they're cool when they do their own stuff, but they're a lot better together.

And I guess partially the show too..... but who came up with the format for the show? Clarkson mostly, and May, and Hammond. And Andy Wilman.

It seems that his antics since having got a modicum of fame from Top Gear kinda shifted the focus from it being about what it's about to like, The Jeremy Clarkson Show. My Dads always watched it and, not being a man whoose especially interested in popular culture the cult of Clarkson kinda passed him by and he's just into it cuz of the motors, cuz thats always been his big interested in life, motors.

It seems that his antics since having got a modicum of fame from Top Gear kinda shifted the focus from it being about what it's about to like, The Jeremy Clarkson Show. My Dads always watched it and, not being a man whoose especially interested in popular culture the cult of Clarkson kinda passed him by and he's just into it cuz of the motors, cuz thats always been his big interested in life, motors.

Yes, around series 12/13/14 the show changed and became a lot more "glamy" and "TV showish." They sort of started playing the characters of Clarkson, May, and Hammond - whereas the earlier series's were a lot more genuine, and calm. I like it all.\

Jeremy Clarkson says some very stupid things, and I'm not referring to the blunders that have gotten public attention - those go without saying. He overgeneralizes, is sometimes factually wrong, is petty for no reason, has a superiority complex, etc., but it's still great television, and wholly entertaining. May and Hammond sort of balance out his misgivings while emphasizing the good qualities of him/TG, which is why they work very well as a trio.

Yes, around series 12/13/14 the show changed and became a lot more "glamy" and "TV showish." They sort of started playing the characters of Clarkson, May, and Hammond - whereas the earlier series's were a lot more genuine, and calm. I like it all.\

Jeremy Clarkson says some very stupid things, and I'm not referring to the blunders that have gotten public attention - those go without saying. He overgeneralizes, is sometimes factually wrong, is petty for no reason, has a superiority complex, etc., but it's still great television, and wholly entertaining. May and Hammond sort of balance out his misgivings while emphasizing the good qualities of him/TG, which is why they work very well as a trio.

The problem arises however when you bear in mind that the show isnt exactly a sitcom, no matter how much of a performance their schtick is...and i think kinda more...whats the word im looking for, fact related tv shows? Kinda suffer from that, i think, in terms of quality.

Or maybe im wrong, maybe its just a transition from one thing to the other, certainly pulled the viewers in.