Appetite was released 27 years ago today

Just like I said on TheGNR, THIS is a rock and roll album. From the very start of Welcome to the Jungle to the very end of Rocket Queen, the album is the epitome of what a rock album should sound like. Sex, drugs, RnFnR. These guys lived the life, nobody can come close to creating or recreating what they had.

• Like 1

On a serious note, wasn't the original cover something to do with a spaceship crash or something?

"Appetite for Destruction" represents the rape of mankind by technology and the media according to its author Robert Williams. It seems that Robert Williams is a disciple of anti-industrial thinkers like Lewis Mumford, Gunther Anders or William Morris.

http://hem.passagen.se/snoqalf/tr-198810-1.html

Journalist : Well, talking about being the center of controversy, right now in Santa Cruz... You know about this, right? They're picketing the record stores. Do you know...

Duff - For what?

Journalist : There are women who are picketing record stores, who say that the Guns N' Roses album should be taken out, because the innersleeve is sexist and pro-rape.

Slash - Oh now it's the innersleeve? It wasn't good enough when we took it off the cover and put it on the inside. You know, that's... That blows. They can't...

Duff - I mean...

Slash - They can't do anything about it.

Duff - Exactly. I mean, for people to look at that sexist, or anything, I guess I can see what they're saying, you know. But we don't look at it that way, and that's the most important thing.

If we don't look at it that way, we're not trying to make the sexist statement at all. And I think that's the most important thing. We didn't do that for any reason against women or whatever. And it doesn't matter. It's just artwork.

Slash - I don't see anybody hassling Robert Williams about it.

Duff - Yeah, the guy... The artist.

Journalist : They are, actually. I mean, he's been quoted now for saying what it represented to him. And I was curious what it represented to you. He said that it repres...

Slash - To us it was just a picture that looked sorta cool.

Duff - Exactly. I mean, it's that...

Slash - People have nothing better to do with their time than picking things apart and make a big deal out of stuff.

Duff - Yeah. So go ahead. Let them do that, if that makes them feel... If they think they're doing something, then fine.

Journalist : You don't worry about being picketed.

Slash - No. I mean, it would be a drag if they take the record out of the stores. I don't think that'll happen.

Journalist : I think he said it represents the rape of mankind by technology and the media.

Slash - Whatever.

Duff - Oh sure. That's deep.

Slash - That's pretty complicated.

Edited by axlfan88
  • Like 1