Are YOU Happy?

Ace Nova

Nope.

I'm never satisfied. Always trying to be a better person, always trying to push towards a better life. I'm enjoying myself and I'm having fun, but I'm not happy. Still a long way to go before I get anywhere near that.

I hear you. Happiness does not necessarily equate to satisfaction. But are you currently 'happy'?

Huh? nothing. Why? did my post offend your view on life? not everyone is capable of feeling happy most of the time, or even capable of not feeling sad most of the time.

What prevents you from happiness?

Not all the time. Just being content, that is. What prevents you from being content?

My unrealistic expectations from life and people, my long memory which gives me the chance to relive things I wish I could forget, the way my brain is wired genetically, fear as a whole, and the knowledge things will only get diluted as I grow older (already starting to feel it) and finally die. There is much more, but those are some of the main reasons.

I see no meaning in life. Never did. I think we create fake meaning to what we care about, but nothing means anything imo. Btw, I'm not looking for feedback really. Just replying to your question. Any reply that attempts to offer solution will probably annoy me. Just sayin'. That's my view on life and it's been my view on life for almost 20 years now.

Edited by Rovim

My unrealistic expectations from life and people, my long memory which gives me the chance to relive things I wish I could forget, the way my brain is wired genetically, fear as a whole, and the knowledge things will only get diluted as I grow old, and finally die. There is much more, but those are some of the main reasons.

I see no meaning in life. Never did. I think we create fake meaning to what we care about, but nothing means anything imo. Btw, I'm not looking for feedback really. Just replying to your question. Any reply that attempts to offer solution will probably annoy me. Just sayin'. That's my view on life and it's been my view on life for almost 20 years now.

That is a rough way to go through life.

So you're basically saying, you would be happy if you never lived (or remembered) any of your negative life experiences but only remembered (or lived) your positive ones?

My unrealistic expectations from life and people, my long memory which gives me the chance to relive things I wish I could forget, the way my brain is wired genetically, fear as a whole, and the knowledge things will only get diluted as I grow old, and finally die. There is much more, but those are some of the main reasons.

That is a rough way to go through life.

So you're basically saying, you would be happy if you never lived (or remembered) any of your negative life experiences but only remembered (or lived) your positive ones?

I'm saying It's good to be alive, something is better then nothing, and I have my small moments of joy. I'm glad I was born, and I want to live as long as possible, but I believe that because I am me, there was never a chance for me to be happy, and there will never be a chance for me to be content. I'm not being overly dramatic either. In my opinion, I know myself. I know who I am, so I'm aware to what I'm capable and not capable of.

Edited by Rovim

I'm saying It's good to be alive, and I have my small moments of joy. I'm glad I was born, and I want to live as long as possible, but I believe that because I am me, there was never a chance for me to be happy, and there will never be a chance for me to be content. I'm not being overly dramatic either. In my opinion, I know myself. I know who I am, so I'm aware to what I'm capable and not capable of.

So you believe you, yourself, are not capable of being 'happy'?

I'm saying It's good to be alive, and I have my small moments of joy. I'm glad I was born, and I want to live as long as possible, but I believe that because I am me, there was never a chance for me to be happy, and there will never be a chance for me to be content. I'm not being overly dramatic either. In my opinion, I know myself. I know who I am, so I'm aware to what I'm capable and not capable of.

So you believe you, yourself, are not capable of being 'happy'?

Judging by how you've worded your question, you seem to already doubt my potential negative answer.

Let's just say I remember myself as a kid, I remember my life since I was 4 to now (31) and as soon as I've put together the pieces and created my view of reality like every person does when their brain is ripe enough to do that, I never felt happiness. Not really.

Edited by Rovim

Judging by how you've worded your question, you seem to already doubt my potential negative answer.

Let's just say I remember myself as a kid, I remember my life since I was 4 to now (31) and as soon as I've put together the pieces and created my view of reality like every person does when their brain is ripe enough to do that, I never felt happiness. Not really.

So what are the few things in life that make you happy from time to time?

I get the whole no meaning in life a little bit. I wish there was more than get a job, work all day, come home for a little while, go to sleep, and do it all again. That's the routine I'm faced with at this current moment.

So if you had endless cash-flow and you never had to work another day in your life....you would be happy?

I get the whole no meaning in life a little bit. I wish there was more than get a job, work all day, come home for a little while, go to sleep, and do it all again. That's the routine I'm faced with at this current moment.

So if you had endless cash-flow and you never had to work another day in your life....you would be happy?

No, there aren't a ton of things I want to buy. I think that if I had a big family or were with people I cared about and we could to things together that would make me happy.

I don't want to waste my life at a job that is meaningless just to survive.

Edited by darknightfan
  • Like 1

No, there aren't a ton of things I want to buy. I think that if I had a big family or were with people I cared about and we could to things together that would make me happy.

I don't want to waste my life at a job that is meaningless just to survive.

So would a job helping people in need lead to happiness for you? Or at least make closer?

I like how Kasanova King seems to be trying to cheer up people that arent as lucky in life as him , right now . Love to see someone being nice for someone with nothing to gain from it , than maybe good karma if you believe in that.

Anyway , no i cant say im happy , actually i havent been happy in the last couple of years to be honest ...tried to live day by day .More recently with my grandmother death , i had to allow myself to be open to other people again , and finally let many things i had saved deep inside , so much anger for example.Im still not in a good place , but at least i faced some of the things that didnt allow me to feel good .Like for example ..i didnt talk with my mother in years , but i finally had the courage to do it ....

Im on a phase in my life , where im trying to process all new that is happening ,and letting go the past ...have many decisions in front of me . So theres fear , that brings negativity with him sometimes. I feel the next months in my life will be very important , there will be many things changing inside of me , and in my life in general . Good thing i will start talking with a psychologist soon .

A long while I ago I would have answered "I'm angry, which is my happiness." Anger and hatred drove me, and it still does sometimes. However, there was a time when that's all I was, because I didn't enjoy being sad. It started as a substitute for sadness and spread to the other emotions, eventually getting to a point where I was just mad all the time. Something would happen that should have made me happy, and I'd have this sudden surge of anger, although I never acted on that. I don't do this anymore though. I started to miss happiness.

Unfortunately, it still bleeds through sometimes, and there are just some things I can't resist the urge to be angry about. For example, I was raised to believe that when you wrong somebody, intentionally or not, and that realization comes, you're supposed to own up to it. Too many people these days think they can just forget and let bygones be bygones. Yes, they say "Forgive and forget," but you should be given a reason to forgive, it shouldn't be a one sided thing. If you forgive people at the drop of a hat, then you have a little bastard going around smacking people and getting no punishment for it, because they know they won't get any comeuppance. They also say when you've been wronged it's ideal to "turn the other cheek," but after both have been struck, it's time to hit that little bitch back.

But even before that, I would have answered "No," and listed off all of my admittedly trivial reasons for being sad all the time. These days I remain pretty happy and pretty content with life, usually by simply ignoring the bad things if I can't fix them. I'm lucky enough to have been afforded that ability and lack of overly serious issues. Writing helps, too. Keeping myself distracted when things are weighing on my mind is ideal, if possible. The only times I get legitimately sad now are when a really bad thing like an argument happens, but like I said earlier, even today that tends to give way to anger eventually. The other time is when I have nothing to do and things worm their way into my mind, but that usually only happens right before bed, and I don't let it bother me because I'll be asleep soon and everything's okay after that, cause I tend to either have happy dreams or no dreams at all, and then I wake up and get to living another day the way I want to.

So in short, I guess I'd say I feel pretty damn good a majority of the time. Sorry if the post got a little off topic there for a second ._.

Yes I am and I am grateful for it each moment.

There are a lot of things in the world one can be sad about: all the wars and everything

related to it, e.g. how some desperate parents now in Syria are selling their teenaged girls

to old men (worse than death). Or just about everything one can read in the news.

One can always have more money, more muscle, a bigger office, a more expensive car,

more friends etc., when is there enough to be finally happy?

I am sad when e.g. people I care about die or there is some unexpected dishonesty.

Even during the darkest of times, like the funeral of my best friend, I know and knew that

I am going to feel better soon again.

Where does all the happiness come from? At the moment I think that we are all born happy.

Then for some it is easier to stay in the positive frame of mind than it is for others.

There are people who are happy despite being physically disabled with pain, living in poverty,

growing up without loving parents, having no partner or pets etc.

I can feel unusually happy just by looking at the drops of water on leaves after the rain or

a ray of light on a beautiful flower. I choose to stay in happiness each moment and not to dwell

in all that is less than perfect in the world, in my life or in me. At times when that does not come

easy, I know from experience that happiness is always somewhere near - it is up to me to feel it.

• Like 1

I'm happier than I was a couple of years ago. My mother died in January and the shock sort of knocked me into gear a bit. It sounds harsh because obviously it's been a really sad period in a lot of ways but facing up to mortality has made me appreciate the little stuff a bit more and be a bit tolerant of things I can't change.

I don't think I will ever be a happy go lucky, breeze through life person (if such a thing even exists). I'm an introverted, observer type by nature. I often crave the idea of being the opposite but if I find myself with the opportunity I often hate it and countdown to when I can slink off to be alone. It's the juxtaposition between who I'd like to be and who I am capable of being which causes the most angst.

• Like 2

I am very happy.

Used to be kinda miserable, or at least I'd get very emotional and depressed rather fast and it was a very exhausting life to live.

Then I realised that I had more or less full control over my experience because life is a sort of mirror that reflects ( through events or by making you meet specific people ) your inner state of mind, not the other way around.

Now I feel empowered and happy and the things I desire and which I believe I can achieve or get come very easily in the most interesting ways, as opposed to before when I would struggle a lot for very mediocre results.

The key is to make yourself happy, to detach from other people's opinion, and to allow things to happen by assuming they will happen.

At first it is hard work, then you get addicted to feeling good and it becomes fun to turn your spirit around under all circumstances.

• Like 1

I think content is a better word.

Some days I'm happy, some days I'm sad, but I'm always content

This, basically.

It's an unrealistic expectation to be happy all the time, you're going to have ups and downs.

Experience and sensation are what it's all about, in a "strange" way I can appreciate bad experiences or emotions- kind of like how nice dreams are great but a terrible nightmare can be much more memorable and intense.

As far as I'm concerned, you've got to "make a game of it" and learn to enjoy both the good and the bad.

• Like 1

So what are the few things in life that make you happy from time to time?

My family, music, and sleep are the main ones I think. Could be worse. I have nothing to complain about.

I agree with those who said it's unrealistic to expect to be happy all the time. I take what I can get.