Are YOU Happy?

Ace Nova

Generally? Yes. Absolutely.

Look we all have dips in our lives - some of us may have really dark moments - but truely when you look back and reflect there's only a very tiny percentage of us lead "unhappy" lives.

There's mental illness. Without a doubt.

These people don't lead happy lives.

Actually a lot of them do.

I work in the disability field and most of our customers are happier in life than those that work with them.

Subs said he was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and is managing to live a very happy life. You have a great chance of doing that as well.....if you want to try. You said you were going to a doctor last week, so that's a start. Get off of the drugs and alcohol, start exercising and eating correctly, keep seeing your doctor - those things could really help you become a happier person.

Since you asked.

I'm high on Prozac, quitting alcohol during weekdays, walk three miles a day, and have some interviews lined up.

Awesome.

I'm rooting for you.

It's all relative. Remain deluded.

I don't rate happiness as a state of mind. If I do stuff I enjoy I'm happy. But if you make me work in a bank is be unhappy. Maybe you get an after glow of happiness. I guess state of happiness is for people who take pleasure in being something. I just like to keep busy. For me action is the juice. I'll probably gunned down like Tom Sizemore in Heat.

People calling me out on being selfish makes me unhappy. I'll do what I can for you but there's not much I can do.

Don't believe in happiness. I love life, though

You don't believe in the feeling of happiness? But you love life? Bullshit. Get a dictionary.

If you reduce the meaning of the word happiness to a dictionnary, then I'm really sorry for you, with all due respect.

I don't believe in Happiness, but if I did it surely wouldn't be a "feeling". I respect the opinion of the thousands of Hedonists that have been in this world for +2000 years, but I've always been (at least in ethics) a big follower of Aristotle so if I believed in Happiness, I guess it would be closer to his conception of Eudaimonia than to the feeling of "absence of pain".

I don't believe in absolutes, and that's the simple reason why I don't believe in Happiness as a possible state. Maybe as a goal, but then we wouldn't be happy, we would just chase it until we die (we can get close to it but never reach it).

For this reason I prefer to just enjoy life and the pleasures it gives to us everyday, rather than checking if I'm happy or not.

Sorry for my english, I wished I could explain myself better but I guess this briefly explains what I said above.

If you complicate something as simple as whether you are happy or not this much, then I'm sorry for you.
  • Like 1

I am slowly killing myself to be happy.

As soon as your born you're dyyyyyin'

I just want a RIP on twitter as my head stone. scatter my pixels across the inter zone.

How is being high on man-made drugs socially acceptable and using marijuana not?

profit margins and weed is part of subversive subculture. man made drugs won't start a revolution. You could just move to Amsterdam? Not that I would advise that to anyone really. Fire, oh smoke on the horizon!

In all honesty, currently? No. The last 3 months have, for the most part, been miserable. Before, I would say I was largely a very happy person, a bit insecure, particularly around girls, but otherwise optimistic and content with the direction of my life.

Returning to Scotland from Mexico after my internship felt completely wrong: I was doing the job I've wanted since I was 3 years old, having new adventures every week, living on my own. being financially independent and I know I meant something to an amazing girl who meant the world to me. Then I was unemployed, living in my parents' house in a cold, rainy country with a vicious incursion of 5000 snuffing out the spark I shared with that girl. I got a job in a shop 3 weeks after getting back (which is admittedly infinitely better than unemployment) and my life has stagnated ever since.

I know in my head I have a lot to be grateful for, an amazing family and friends who look out for me, I live in a beautiful place and fair play, my work is menial and I commute for over 3 hours every day for the privilege, but at least I have a job. At the same time, I know what happiness is and you can't use logic to make yourself be happy, happiness just is when there is reason for it to be, and I've gone from someone who felt that way 80% of the time, to someone who feels that way 20% of the time. I've never felt so consistently down for such a long period... :(.

I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling better :( I was thinking of you when I visited the Science Museum in London last month :) I imagine there's not that many career opportunities in volcanoes. Is it plausible that you will find a job in your field in the not too distant future, or not at all ? Have you still not heard about the girl anymore ? I'm sure you'll meet another amazing girl, I know it's an awful cliché and it doesn't get you anywhere right now, but yeah... I just hope you'll soon feel better and new opportunities (in work and/or love) will come your way. :hug:

• Like 1

In all honesty, currently? No. The last 3 months have, for the most part, been miserable. Before, I would say I was largely a very happy person, a bit insecure, particularly around girls, but otherwise optimistic and content with the direction of my life.

Returning to Scotland from Mexico after my internship felt completely wrong: I was doing the job I've wanted since I was 3 years old, having new adventures every week, living on my own. being financially independent and I know I meant something to an amazing girl who meant the world to me. Then I was unemployed, living in my parents' house in a cold, rainy country with a vicious incursion of 5000 snuffing out the spark I shared with that girl. I got a job in a shop 3 weeks after getting back (which is admittedly infinitely better than unemployment) and my life has stagnated ever since.

I know in my head I have a lot to be grateful for, an amazing family and friends who look out for me, I live in a beautiful place and fair play, my work is menial and I commute for over 3 hours every day for the privilege, but at least I have a job. At the same time, I know what happiness is and you can't use logic to make yourself be happy, happiness just is when there is reason for it to be, and I've gone from someone who felt that way 80% of the time, to someone who feels that way 20% of the time. I've never felt so consistently down for such a long period... :(.

Sorry to hear that mate - you just need to grab life and get that dream job (and girl).

Where in Scotland are you?

Stick to your guns, Arnie

You can make a difference to society.

Hmmm, never just happy. Always a mix of happy, worried, stressed, sad, angry, scared but in different combinations at any given time. Right now? Heavy on angry, quite a bit of sad. Happy is in there somewhere but a little on the light side.

I am optimistic that the emotional distribution will change though, and I will weigh heavily on happy again in the near future. I may be bringing my nieces baby home soon. All I have to do is look at her and I'm just silly happy all over the place.

You are a strong woman Orsys. You have been and are dealing with so much the last year. I hope you can bing the baby of your niece home soon, it would bring so much joy to your family. Baby laughter would be very welcome to you all, I assume.

I hope it will be soon.

Yep. Love what I have in my life right now.

Good job, good friends, good health, good sex, good family. :)

Just curious about the 'good sex' part. Haven't you and your partner been together for 15 years or something?

What the fuck is Kasanova going on about here?

:shades:

Just a little confused about the amazing girl part. You met this bird in Mexico? And left her there? Or did you meet her when you got back to Scotland?

As opposed to being severely depressed and quickly killing yourself?

Better to be happy and live for a while than the latter, imo. ;)

What happened to you is quite normal. People who return home from working or studying

overseas find it harder to come back than what is was to leave home. You also had maybe

about the best time of your life, so it is just natural to feel down now.

The way you write makes me think that you might be quite good in writing e.g. a blog or some

other form of articles about things related to volcanoes. There are a lot of people fascinated

by anything related to volcanic activity. In countries like Japan there could be work opportunities

for native English speakers to write about their volcanoes and related matters.

They also have a lot of bars where you could play the music you love.

You have a lot of cousins? Follow how they are communicating with girls at the bars.

Hmmm, never just happy. Always a mix of happy, worried, stressed, sad, angry, scared but in different combinations at any given time. Right now? Heavy on angry, quite a bit of sad. Happy is in there somewhere but a little on the light side.

I am optimistic that the emotional distribution will change though, and I will weigh heavily on happy again in the near future. I may be bringing my nieces baby home soon. All I have to do is look at her and I'm just silly happy all over the place.

You are a strong woman Orsys. You have been and are dealing with so much the last year. I hope you can bing the baby of your niece home soon, it would bring so much joy to your family. Baby laughter would be very welcome to you all, I assume.

I hope it will be soon.

Thanks MB. There is something magical about babies. And I think this is how healing happens. My niece needs support. I can do that. I can help her, help the baby. And in turn, it helps me. My niece videod the baby giggling. My heart exploded out of my chest. :wow:

• Like 3

you had your chance. i was willing to meet you when i was in toronto in 2011 but noooo. i would have made you so happy. for at least 90 seconds.

#9,499

Edited by Jackie Moon

you had your chance. i was willing to meet you when i was in toronto in 2011 but noooo. i would have made you so happy. for at least 90 seconds.

#9,499

Orsys has class. As in...she's only into real men. No offense.

:P

I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling better :( I was thinking of you when I visited the Science Museum in London last month :) I imagine there's not that many career opportunities in volcanoes. Is it plausible that you will find a job in your field in the not too distant future, or not at all ? Have you still not heard about the girl anymore ? I'm sure you'll meet another amazing girl, I know it's an awful cliché and it doesn't get you anywhere right now, but yeah... I just hope you'll soon feel better and new opportunities (in work and/or love) will come your way. :hug:

You're unlikely to get a job in volcanology without a doctorate, at the moment I have a Masters' degree and 4 1/2 months work experience to my name. I'm currently trying to obtain a PhD position somewhere, which would at least get me back into volcanology. I miss it, I spend a lot of my travel time into and out of work reading volcanology literature.

We haven't talked at all since I got back. She's now seeing someone else. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same if I'd had the opportunity to get over it so quickly, but it still doesn't make it any nicer for me.

Sorry to hear that mate - you just need to grab life and get that dream job (and girl).

Cheers Sandy, "grabbing" all sounds very immediate and I unfortunately think the solution to this particular rut requires a wee bit of the "long haul". I have been working towards getting back into volcanology at the next level since I got home, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through and I can only do it a bit at a time. Until then I just kinda have to swallow this.

Rural Ayrshire, but 25 minutes train ride from Glasgow City Centre.

Just a little confused about the amazing girl part. You met this bird in Mexico? And left her there? Or did you meet her when you got back to Scotland?

I met a Mexican girl while I was out there. I had to leave her when I came home. I'm finding it... tricky... to forget about her. Mostly because it didn't end for any reason other than the distance, I don't really think I deserved to lose her. And I have nothing worthwhile to move on to.

What happened to you is quite normal. People who return home from working or studying

overseas find it harder to come back than what is was to leave home. You also had maybe

about the best time of your life, so it is just natural to feel down now.

The way you write makes me think that you might be quite good in writing e.g. a blog or some

other form of articles about things related to volcanoes. There are a lot of people fascinated

by anything related to volcanic activity. In countries like Japan there could be work opportunities

for native English speakers to write about their volcanoes and related matters.

They also have a lot of bars where you could play the music you love.

You have a lot of cousins? Follow how they are communicating with girls at the bars.

My cousins are mostly women, or married :P. I don't think I need advice on how to talk to girls, I just need to meet ones that interest me, which doesn't happen every day. I'm not looking for any girl for the sake of having one. I would like to write about volcanoes professionally, that's why I'm currently pursuing the options I mentioned above.

You're unlikely to get a job in volcanology without a doctorate, at the moment I have a Masters' degree and 4 1/2 months work experience to my name. I'm currently trying to obtain a PhD position somewhere, which would at least get me back into volcanology. I miss it, I spend a lot of my travel time into and out of work reading volcanology literature.

We haven't talked at all since I got back. She's now seeing someone else. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same if I'd had the opportunity to get over it so quickly, but it still doesn't make it any nicer for me.

Cheers Sandy, "grabbing" all sounds very immediate and I unfortunately think the solution to this particular rut requires a wee bit of the "long haul". I have been working towards getting back into volcanology at the next level since I got home, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through and I can only do it a bit at a time. Until then I just kinda have to swallow this.

Rural Ayrshire, but 25 minutes train ride from Glasgow City Centre.

I met a Mexican girl while I was out there. I had to leave her when I came home. I'm finding it... tricky... to forget about her. Mostly because it didn't end for any reason other than the distance, I don't really think I deserved to lose her. And I have nothing worthwhile to move on to.

Graeme...really?

The same Graeme that has been posting here for years wondering where his true love is at?

You finally find her....and let her go?

Like....seriously, my friend....you know I respect you (differing opinions and all)....and the fact of the matter is.....love is love, bro..... :shrugs:

You better go get your lady.

Seriously.

You're smart enough of a man to make it happen....so I strongly advise you to make it happen....true love may come once in a lifetime.....if you're lucky.

Go get your girl, son. Run.

:thumbsup: