Are YOU Happy?

Ace Nova

Generally? Yes. Absolutely.

Look we all have dips in our lives - some of us may have really dark moments - but truely when you look back and reflect there's only a very tiny percentage of us lead "unhappy" lives. You get out what you put in.

And that's from someone who's been on a two week holiday laid in bed about to get up in a few hours to go to work for day 1, ha!

Nah. A lot of people lead shitty lives. It's not a very tiny percentage at all.

Edited by Rovim

Look we all have dips in our lives - some of us may have really dark moments - but truely when you look back and reflect there's only a very tiny percentage of us lead "unhappy" lives.

There's mental illness. Without a doubt.These people don't lead happy lives.

What if I told you I was diagnosed (and I mean DIAGNOSED) with "severe depression" in 2010 and have lived with depression for most of my adult life -- couple with I was diognosed with throat cancer in October last year....(operated successfully in November). THEN.... Consider what I wrote a few posts back when I describe myself as 'generally happy'

I totally understand that people have serious illnesses but you can still be happy bud :)

Look we all have dips in our lives - some of us may have really dark moments - but truely when you look back and reflect there's only a very tiny percentage of us lead "unhappy" lives. You get out what you put in.

And that's from someone who's been on a two week holiday laid in bed about to get up in a few hours to go to work for day 1, ha!

I completely and respectfully disagree!

I think it's most definitely a tiny percentage of people that lead "shitty lives" rather go through 'shitty' periods in their lives.

• Like 3

Look we all have dips in our lives - some of us may have really dark moments - but truely when you look back and reflect there's only a very tiny percentage of us lead "unhappy" lives.

What if I told you I was diagnosed (and I mean DIAGNOSED) with "severe depression" in 2010 and have lived with depression for most of my adult life -- couple with I was diognosed with throat cancer in October last year....(operated successfully in November). THEN.... Consider what I wrote a few posts back when I describe myself as 'generally happy'

I totally understand that people have serious illnesses but you can still be happy bud :)

Don't mean to butt in, but isn't it about perception as well? like people with serious mental illness. Their brain is wired in such a way that they go in circles, and can't go through a simple process without caving in to whatever defect they answer to. Get what I mean? It's not just about what you go through in life. It's how your brain can naturally cope with reality and life.

I think it's most definitely a tiny percentage of people that lead "shitty lives" rather go through 'shitty' periods in their lives.

Did you check some numbers, or are you just guessing? what's a tiny percentage to you? when I say "shitty lives" I don't mean just that there are times when they are unhappy, I mean most of the time they are not capable of not being depressed, or suffer in other ways.

Don't mean to butt in, but isn't it about perception as well? like people with serious mental illness. Their brain is wired in such a way that they go in circles, and can't go through a simple process without caving in to whatever defect they answer to. Get what I mean? It's not just about what you go through in life. It's how your brain can naturally cope with reality and life.

You're not butting in at all :)

Yes I understand what you mean -- it's all relative though. Are there people that have suffered depression far far worse than me? Yes absolutely! Are there people with depression taking anti depressants pigeon-homing themselves into a dark corner of society? Yes, no question. Look I take mental illness extremely seriously (hence my post) but I'm equally angered by self indulgent people almost looking for a 'woe is me' approach to life.

But, that's just my opinion of course.

Did you check some numbers, or are you just guessing? what's a tiny percentage to you? when I say "shitty lives" I don't mean just that there are times when they are unhappy, I mean most of the time they are not capable of not being depressed, or suffer in other ways.

Please don't be rude. No I can't check numbers but perhaps in your counter claim you In fact can? No.

It's an opinion, of course -- one in which I stand firmly behind.

Yes I understand what you mean -- it's all relative though. Is there people that jade praising far far worse than me? Yes absolutely! Are there people with depression taking anti depressants pigeon-homing themselves into a dark corner of society? Yes, no question. Look I take mental illness extremely seriously (hence my post) but I'm equally angered by self indulgent people almost looking for a 'woe is me' approach to life.

I get that, truly I do, but I don't concern myself with being careful about making statements about real cases I've witnessed in my personal life cause there are also people who exaggerate or are being overly dramatic about their issues or problems. I know there are people who whine, and feel sorry for themselves, but what about, for example, people who are all fucked up with serious mental problems, that are not even aware, or others with control over them just label it as something else, like no big deal, when in fact there's a big problme that should be solved?

All I'm saying is that only you can truly know how it feels to be you. You can't really know how it feels to be someone else. Not really know. That is why I think people should never make general statements about these things without taking that into consideration at least.

Please don't be rude. No I can't check numbers but perhaps in your counter claim you In fact can? No.

Didn't think I was, didn't mean to offend. Sorry. Just questioned the way you've quantified it, no sarcasm was involved.

Yes I understand what you mean -- it's all relative though. Is there people that jade praising far far worse than me? Yes absolutely! Are there people with depression taking anti depressants pigeon-homing themselves into a dark corner of society? Yes, no question. Look I take mental illness extremely seriously (hence my post) but I'm equally angered by self indulgent people almost looking for a 'woe is me' approach to life.

All I'm saying is that only you can truly know how it feels to be you. You can't really know how it feels to be someone else. Not really know. That is why I think people should never make general statements about these things without taking that into consideration at least.

But you're assuming I'm making a broad statement without acknowledging that! Isn't that kind of you doing exactly the same thing to me?? Ie - assuming.

But are you then saying that the percentage of those people who are so far depressed that they don't know who they are anymore, are not - as I claim - a tiny percentage of society? Come on now...

Not at all. Those people are probably a much smaller part of society. But the number of people who have a real mental problem and are unhappy and aware they have a real problem, that get treated for it (or just aware) cannot be described as a tiny percentage of society imo.

Didn't think I was, didn't mean to offend. Sorry. Just questioned the way you've quantified it, no sarcasm was involved.

No problem man :)

But you're assuming I'm making a broad statement without acknowledging that! Isn't that kind of you doing exactly the same thing to me?? Ie - assuming.

Ok, I acknowledge that. But, isn't that what you did? even if I did assume, (technically I said people, not you) if we specifically look at what you've said, you've made a general statement about unhappy people, and the number of unhappy people, and gave a general reason, and explanation that I disagree with.

I realize I'm probably being difficult here, but I just wanted to explain my stance regarding this issue, so thanks for your patience. :)

Edited by Rovim

Ok, I acknowledge that. But, isn't that what you did? even if I did assume, (technically I said people, not you) if we specifically look at what you've said, you've made a general statement about unhappy people, and the number of unhappy people, and gave a general reason, and explanation that I disagree with.

I realize I'm probably being difficult here, but I just want to explain my stance regarding this issue, so thanks for your patience. :)

Look

NONE of us have all the facts so of course we're both shooting opinions.

Haha, I remember having a holiday romance in my teens, then it ending, and me walking around at 4am in the morning thinking my world had come to an end.

Happiness is a fragile entity

Did a very similar thing.... In fact *thinks to self*

Nunthorpe train station, dumped by phone box! Yes kids no cells in them days! Se was calllllllllled argh c'mon Subsy -- omg I can't remember lol -- she had long dark hair, she was gorgeous! God knows what she saw in my skinny arse......and was 5 years older than me and I was a spotty 15 year old -- let's be fair she did the right thing!

Haha, I remember having a holiday romance in my teens, then it ending, and me walking around at 4am in the morning thinking my world had come to an end.

Happiness is a fragile entity

Everything a human being can feel is fragile imo. Every emotion. I'd say most living things are fragile. To be honest, I think it's harder for certain well adjusted human beings to see unhappiness as a "big deal", or at least not be fully aware of the magnitude of the problem, or how fast it can transform or "activate" itself if you will in one's mind.

People that by all acounts were happy, kill themselves everyday. It's an extreme example, but it's true imo. And deep depression is not just a fake problem or overreaction of society, at least not completely. It's a disease. Not a mood you can shake, or a period of time you can power through.

Edited by Rovim

There's mental illness. Without a doubt.

These people don't lead happy lives.

Actually a lot of them do.

I work in the disability field and most of our customers are happier in life than those that work with them.

Subs said he was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and is managing to live a very happy life. You have a great chance of doing that as well.....if you want to try. You said you were going to a doctor last week, so that's a start. Get off of the drugs and alcohol, start exercising and eating correctly, keep seeing your doctor - those things could really help you become a happier person.

• Like 1

I tend to worry about obvious things like money and my future in general. But every Sunday night when I'm driving home from my friends and I think: Hell, I just had a great weekend with my girlfriend, had a beer with my social friends, talked to my scared-of-the-outside-world friends about video games, movies, nostalgic stuff, etc... I just feel like the luckiest person in the world. Seriously, the people in my life completely rock. We just get along and NEVER fight. Ever. It's really great.

There's mental illness. Without a doubt.

These people don't lead happy lives.

Actually a lot of them do.

I work in the disability field and most of our customers are happier in life than those that work with them.

Subs said he was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and is managing to live a very happy life. You have a great chance of doing that as well.....if you want to try. You said you were going to a doctor last week, so that's a start. Get off of the drugs and alcohol, start exercising and eating correctly, keep seeing your doctor - those things could really help you become a happier person.

Since you asked.

I'm high on Prozac, quitting alcohol during weekdays, walk three miles a day, and have some interviews lined up.

• Like 2

Hmmm, never just happy. Always a mix of happy, worried, stressed, sad, angry, scared but in different combinations at any given time. Right now? Heavy on angry, quite a bit of sad. Happy is in there somewhere but a little on the light side.

I am optimistic that the emotional distribution will change though, and I will weigh heavily on happy again in the near future. I may be bringing my nieces baby home soon. All I have to do is look at her and I'm just silly happy all over the place.

• Like 2

Don't believe in happiness. I love life, though

You don't believe in the feeling of happiness? But you love life? Bullshit. Get a dictionary.

If you reduce the meaning of the word happiness to a dictionnary, then I'm really sorry for you, with all due respect.

I don't believe in Happiness, but if I did it surely wouldn't be a "feeling". I respect the opinion of the thousands of Hedonists that have been in this world for +2000 years, but I've always been (at least in ethics) a big follower of Aristotle so if I believed in Happiness, I guess it would be closer to his conception of Eudaimonia than to the feeling of "absence of pain".

I don't believe in absolutes, and that's the simple reason why I don't believe in Happiness as a possible state. Maybe as a goal, but then we wouldn't be happy, we would just chase it until we die (we can get close to it but never reach it).

For this reason I prefer to just enjoy life and the pleasures it gives to us everyday, rather than checking if I'm happy or not.

Sorry for my english, I wished I could explain myself better but I guess this briefly explains what I said above.

In all honesty, currently? No. The last 3 months have, for the most part, been miserable. Before, I would say I was largely a very happy person, a bit insecure, particularly around girls, but otherwise optimistic and content with the direction of my life.

Returning to Scotland from Mexico after my internship felt completely wrong: I was doing the job I've wanted since I was 3 years old, having new adventures every week, living on my own. being financially independent and I know I meant something to an amazing girl who meant the world to me. Then I was unemployed, living in my parents' house in a cold, rainy country with a vicious incursion of 5000 snuffing out the spark I shared with that girl. I got a job in a shop 3 weeks after getting back (which is admittedly infinitely better than unemployment) and my life has stagnated ever since.

I know in my head I have a lot to be grateful for, an amazing family and friends who look out for me, I live in a beautiful place and fair play, my work is menial and I commute for over 3 hours every day for the privilege, but at least I have a job. At the same time, I know what happiness is and you can't use logic to make yourself be happy, happiness just is when there is reason for it to be, and I've gone from someone who felt that way 80% of the time, to someone who feels that way 20% of the time. I've never felt so consistently down for such a long period...:(.