Is school all that important?

arnold layne

School isn't a free pass. I think teachers give the impression it is to get the kids to get good grades so they can keep their good. Also it's a form of babysitting control. There are a lot of people with engineering degrees who aren't successful in the company. I know lawyers who became barmen.

It's a weird system that tells you what success is, then moves the goals, then taxes you so you can't make much money out of success. It's almost a futile enterprise. Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. Or just as you retire you get a tumor on your kidney and die.

There's many ways to skin a cat!

I do credit school for exposing me to some of the finer parts of our culture, such as literary classics like Wuthering Heights and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I also found History particularly interesting, even if the knowledge I gained is not exactly ever going to be put to a practical use in my adult life.

But very little of what I learned in school has been retained, particularly Maths, Science and Geography, which pretty much went in one ear and straight out the other.

I also credit school for crippling my self-esteem for the best part of five years through getting bullied and watching the teachers do fuck all about it. So all in all, school was a pretty mixed bag for me, with the bad certainly outweighing the good.

Edited by Towelie

Well if money is what motivates you I suppose a degree is excellent. Personally, I am more fulfilled by the interest and knowledge it gave me. I like my certificates because they represent that I, got through the English Civil War or Rome. I do not look at them thinking of the figures I will make.

This. For once I agree wholeheartedly with Diesel! I've always studied what interested me and am lucky enough that thanks to that degree, I can now do a job I love. That is the main thing.

It's far more important than it should be. Most of the time you've no use of your grades, unless you have a specific degree for a specific type of job and even then you normally learn your profession by actually working there.

Many things are different here, because we don't have those ridiculously low salaries for jobs that doesn't require education. For example, I have a friend who works as a cleaner and he makes about 3000 dollar a month which is a fairly good salary to me. I used to make lots when I worked in a grocery store too. I've never used my grades, I actually never even saw them before a year ago when I had to retrieve them because I was going back to school since I need some job where I don't use my body due to an injury.

So hopefully in five years I'm a teacher or something similarly boring. I've considered getting some degree so I can work with either young people with social problems or work at a kindergarten. Problem with the young people is that it would almost only be immigrants and I'd only want to help the Swedes. Oh well. My ex could probably help me getting in touch with some rehab for young people too since she works at one, but it's far away and I'd have to move, so that won't happen.

I'm still upgrading my highschool degree now, so I have some time to think about it. Teacher or kindergarten seems best to me right now.

It's far more important than it should be. Most of the time you've no use of your grades, unless you have a specific degree for a specific type of job and even then you normally learn your profession by actually working there.

Many things are different here, because we don't have those ridiculously low salaries for jobs that doesn't require education. For example, I have a friend who works as a cleaner and he makes about 3000 dollar a month which is a fairly good salary to me. I used to make lots when I worked in a grocery store too. I've never used my grades, I actually never even saw them before a year ago when I had to retrieve them because I was going back to school since I need some job where I don't use my body due to an injury.

So hopefully in five years I'm a teacher or something similarly boring. I've considered getting some degree so I can work with either young people with social problems or work at a kindergarten. Problem with the young people is that it would almost only be immigrants and I'd only want to help the Swedes. Oh well. My ex could probably help me getting in touch with some rehab for young people too since she works at one, but it's far away and I'd have to move, so that won't happen.

I'm still upgrading my highschool degree now, so I have some time to think about it. Teacher or kindergarten seems best to me right now.

He makes 3000 a month, but due to taxes don't most Swedes only keep about half of what they earn?

I do have a requirement for education in my IT jobs. And to that extent it is important to have had technology based education because understanding the fundamentals is important. Does it need to be four years of university? no

I find I use a lot of my MBA education at my level, but I could have read the books and would have been fine I think. My big payback came from my education at community college more than my uni degree.

Today, the price of university, and the interest on loans to pay it back make university less valuable.

All my life I have been told to get good grades, and to study hard, and to be a good student. But for what?

I did that and I am going to end up working retail anyway because doing well in school has no fucking correlation to motivation and success.

None whatsoever. School is a waste of fucking time.

Yes, it is. Especially for us. If you quit you'll get a shit job and whine even more about just how shit your shit life is. School is the easiest part of your life. Get the fuck over it.

There's a stat like if you own a computer you are 90% less likely to become a millionaire. There's more millionaires who start out cleaning toilets, then they manage toilet cleaning then they own their own business. Education and being computer smart means you will have a stable income but never become rich. Less likely on average. There's definitely no road map. A barman can become a manager, own his own bar, open a chain. hard work, but he's more likely to become a millionaire than someone with a english lit degree. Hustle up people!

Edited by wasted

There's a stat like if you own a computer you are 90% less likely to become a millionaire. There's more millionaires who start out cleaning toilets, then they manage toilet cleaning then they own their own business. Education and being computer smart means you will have a stable income but never become rich. Less likely on average. There's definitely no road map. A barman can become a manager, own his own bar, open a chain. hard work, but he's more likely to become a millionaire than someone with a english lit degree. Hustle up people!

This carefully leaves out the stats on what percentage of people who start cleaning toilets actually become millionaires to begin with. I'm guessing it's not particularly many. ;)

I really don't know why a lot of women go to school? Most just become single moms anyway.

Nowhere near as admirable as joining the miltary, what with how selective they are with their recruiting.

Nah, it's about 30%.And with a low salary income he gets some tax reduce, so he'll have about 2400 dollar a month after tax. The rest of the tax you're talking about are VAT (is that the word? That's what Google Translate gave me. Tax on everything you buy pretty much).

A sales tax? How much is that? Or does it change depending on what you buy?

Edited by AxlisOld
  • Like 1

Nowhere near as admirable as joining the miltary, what with how selective they are with their recruiting.

Nah, it's about 30%.And with a low salary income he gets some tax reduce, so he'll have about 2400 dollar a month after tax. The rest of the tax you're talking about are VAT (is that the word? That's what Google Translate gave me. Tax on everything you buy pretty much).

I don't know how much it is in Sweden, but in Belgium it's 21%. There is a lower VAT on food, 6%, and there are some exceptions, but we pay 21% extra on most things we buy.

Well if money is what motivates you I suppose a degree is excellent. Personally, I am more fulfilled by the interest and knowledge it gave me. I like my certificates because they represent that I, got through the English Civil War or Rome. I do not look at them thinking of the figures I will make.

This. For once I agree wholeheartedly with Diesel! I've always studied what interested me and am lucky enough that thanks to that degree, I can now do a job I love. That is the main thing.

I agree too. I did the degrees to avoid manual labor and to do something I enjoyed for a brief time before I had go back to the real life and tribulations of the street (office water cooler convos with divorcees). Breaking out of the ghetto is a day to day fight.

This carefully leaves out the stats on what percentage of people who start cleaning toilets actually become millionaires to begin with. I'm guessing it's not particularly many. ;)

But it's more than the people that do degrees. 99% of people end up with less than 1000 bucks in their accounts after paying for their funeral.

More millionaires come from small businesses doing menial stuff than people with degrees in middle class jobs. It's hard to make bank from a job. Tax takes a lot. Time is taken from you, they won't pay you enough to retire. Salaries fluctuate etc. People get sick and have to live the end of their life with huge medical bills. Life will kill you.

The way I understood it was that a small business can bloom pretty quick. That cake shop does well, they make a ton for a few years. It's just something I read and I may have got it wrong. Most people are treading water.

do you want to appear to be rich or do you want to be rich? it's an honest question. I'll tell you one thing you're no fuckin' cop!

Yeah, it's different on different products. The normal VAT is 25%, but on some products like food it's 6% and some products like chewing gums are 12%.

Then there are things like gasoline, tobacco and alcohol with much higher taxes.