Guns n' Roses Influence on former Britpop darlings, Oasis.

Mmm. Listening to Dust n' Bones puts me in mind of music in recent years by Britpop botherers Oasis. TOasis seem yo owe a lot to G n' R but have never credited them.

There's a run of notes (do they call it a lick? Or phrasing? I'm not a musicologist, clearly!) that's echoed in The Importance of Being Idle from the band's 2005 album, Don't Believe the Truth. It's almost note for note. Not sure if Oasis made a big impact in the US and other countries a they did in the UK but if you are familiar with this band who were super-huge in the mid-1990s here, give them a listen, esp to aforementioned track. Just my opinion.
Noel has always been upfront about how deeply other people's work has influenced his own writing but I've never seen an allusion to Guns n' Roses. Hopefully, in years to come, people will be much more upfront about how influential G n' R have been. Think it's getting there but would love to see more credit where it is due. rock4
Which other bands do you think G n' R have influenced?
Edited by BetterDay7

I don't hear the resemblance myself, but I suppose everyone hears things a little bit different to everyone else. Maybe the beat is a bit similar, and the tone of the guitar is,too. But as far as having the same "vibe" as Dust n' Bones, not getting that at all.

two words: Rolling Stones

They were the main influence for Izzy and Oasis

I am not a huge follower of Oasis, and I'm only really familiar with their first album and maybe one or two other songs, but I always thought they had a Beatles kinda sound. Their later stuff might be different, but I never thought of the Stones when I listened to them.

two words: Rolling Stones

They were the main influence for Izzy and Oasis

I am not a huge follower of Oasis, and I'm only really familiar with their first album and maybe one or two other songs, but I always thought they had a Beatles kinda sound. Their later stuff might be different, but I never thought of the Stones when I listened to them.

Stones and Beatles feel

This song in particular is Stones

Oasis were musically great, there was just one problem, Liam Gallagher was the biggest prat of the decade

Was that a problem? I thought it was kinda cool. He's a fuckin' idiot, sure, but at least he's not boring (his stage "presence" though is a different story) and is pretty talented. All ego, says whatever. I like Oasis.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Oasis were musically great, there was just one problem, Liam Gallagher was the biggest prat of the decade

Nope, I think Axl has that place well and truly secure.

Oasis are, Beatles, Kinks, Weller, Stone Roses. There is nothing in their sound which remotely resembles Guns N' Roses. Oasis sort of, repudiated the American thing in favour of a British sound. Guns had the American sound.

Most completely blind Slash worshipers feel that way.

Really? I never knew that, not, being, a 'completely blind Slash worshiper'!

Most completely blind Slash worshipers feel that way.

Really? I never knew that, not, being, a 'completely blind Slash worshiper'!

Just mostly blind then.

I miss Oasis even though Liam sounds like shit nowadays. See? Axl is not my only 'victim'.

I saw em in 2005 and he sounded amazing but yeah I think he's nowhere like he was nowadays. I've read it's because of the way he angles his neck up while singing.

The Importance of Being Idle is like a Kinks track, how in the fuck is that anything resembling GnR?!? 'The whole vibe of Dust n Bones' uh, not really, The Importance of Being Idle is quite a merry song :lol:

I didn't mean the same vibe of the whole song - I said that there is a run of notes that is just the same. WIll give both tracks a listen when I get home. Can't play them now even on PC as I am away and it's 2.07am and don't want to wake the house up.

Edited by BetterDay7

The Importance of Being Idle is like a Kinks track, how in the fuck is that anything resembling GnR?!? 'The whole vibe of Dust n Bones' uh, not really, The Importance of Being Idle is quite a merry song :lol:

I didn't mean the same vibe of the whole song - I said that there is a run of notes that is just the same. WIll give both tracks a listen when I get home. Can't play them now even on PC as I am away and it's 2.07am and don't want to wake the house up.

Have you ever heard of headphones? :lol:

Mmm. Listening to Dust n' Bones puts me in mind of music in recent years by Britpop botherers Oasis. TOasis seem yo owe a lot to G n' R but have never credited them.

There's a run of notes (do they call it a lick? Or phrasing? I'm not a musicologist, clearly!) that's echoed in The Importance of Being Idle from the band's 2005 album, Don't Believe the Truth. It's almost note for note. Not sure if Oasis made a big impact in the US and other countries a they did in the UK but if you are familiar with this band who were super-huge in the mid-1990s here, give them a listen, esp to aforementioned track. Just my opinion.
Noel has always been upfront about how deeply other people's work has influenced his own writing but I've never seen an allusion to Guns n' Roses. Hopefully, in years to come, people will be much more upfront about how influential G n' R have been. Think it's getting there but would love to see more credit where it is due. rock4
Which other bands do you think G n' R have influenced?

I know the section you're talking about, yes it's similar but the progression, or tail (whatever you want to call it) is used in a lot of music, especially blues music - with blues being the backbone for just about every contemporary style out there, there's no surprise there's a lot of crossover.

• Like 1