The Seeker - what's it about?

Sometimes I've wondered if it was only coincidence that Axl decided to cover The Seeker and Don't Let Them Bring You Down almost at the same time. Both songs are included in the movie American Beauty. A movie that has a lot of Rose symbolism in it... Dunno... Far-fetched thoughts I guess. But sometimes reality is far-fecthed. :shrugs:

Pete Townshend was heavy into Meher Baba at the time, all that Eastern myticism stuff, seeking meaning etc. And the song is just pretty much about how that shit can't be found in false idols such a bands or artists or in drugs or whatever. Pretty simple really, lyrically, establish the Seeker motif and then it's just like, pick places/ideas like 'i couldn't find it here, i couldn't find it there'.

Always thought Join Together was a lot better and seems oddly like an answer to The Seeker, on some level.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Sometimes I've wondered if it was only coincidence that Axl decided to cover The Seeker and Don't Let Them Bring You Down almost at the same time. Both songs are included in the movie American Beauty. A movie that has a lot of Rose symbolism in it... Dunno... Far-fetched thoughts I guess. But sometimes reality is far-fecthed. :shrugs:

Axl does like soundtrack albums maybe he was reminded by them. Maybe he's a huge plastic bag fan.

Pete Townshend was heavy into Meher Baba at the time, all that Eastern myticism stuff, seeking meaning etc. And the song is just pretty much about how that shit can't be found in false idols such a bands or artists or in drugs or whatever. Pretty simple really, lyrically, establish the Seeker motif and then it's just like, pick places/ideas like 'i couldn't find it here, i couldn't find it there'.

Always thought Join Together was a lot better and seems oddly like an answer to The Seeker, on some level.

Axl supposedly believes in a god of some kind?

So I guess with all the fuss made about GNR or rock music that could be why. His spiritual beliefs are more important etc.

Edited by wasted

In a way, it's the "bonus track" to "Tommy". Early version of a lyric video

"Quite loosely, "The Seeker" was just a thing about what I call Divine Desperation, or just Desperation. And what it does to people. It just kind of covers a whole area where the guy's being fantastically tough and ruthlessly nasty and he's being incredibly selfish and he's hurting people, wrecking people's homes, abusing his heroes, he's accusing everyone of doing nothing for him and yet at the same time he's making a fairly valid statement, he's getting nowhere, he's doing nothing and the only thing he really can't be sure of is his death, and that at least dead, he's going to get what he wants. He thinks!" - Pete Townshend

It's lacking in some places but it's a worthy cover.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

It's literally not about any of that. Pete was drunk as shit when he wrote it and it is meaningless.

As I've said before - it seems pretty obvious to me that the GnR song "you're crazy" is based on The Seeker. Listen to The Who version ok Seeker and then listen to Crazy on GnR Lies. The Crazy riff is a variation on Seeker. Even the lyrics are similar, both talk about lookin' /searchin for something.. my guess is they used to jam Seeker, and Crazy was born out of it. Same as how Used To Love Her is just a rework of Rolling Stones' Dead Flowers.

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 2

"Quite loosely, "The Seeker" was just a thing about what I call Divine Desperation, or just Desperation. And what it does to people. It just kind of covers a whole area where the guy's being fantastically tough and ruthlessly nasty and he's being incredibly selfish and he's hurting people, wrecking people's homes, abusing his heroes, he's accusing everyone of doing nothing for him and yet at the same time he's making a fairly valid statement, he's getting nowhere, he's doing nothing and the only thing he really can't be sure of is his death, and that at least dead, he's going to get what he wants. He thinks!" - Pete Townshend

That kind of sounds like someone we've heard of.

As I've said before - it seems pretty obvious to me that the GnR song "you're crazy" is based on The Seeker. Listen to The Who version ok Seeker and then listen to Crazy on GnR Lies. The Crazy riff is a variation on Seeker. Even the lyrics are similar, both talk about lookin' /searchin for something.. my guess is they used to jam Seeker, and Crazy was born out of it. Same as how Used To Love Her is just a rework of Rolling Stones' Dead Flowers.

Lies version sounds like Under my Thumb by Stones if it was rocked out on acoustics. Lyrically also. When it gets going towards the end it's very Stonesy. But Seeker too.

Axl always seems like he's searching for something.

It's literally not about any of that. Pete was drunk as shit when he wrote it and it is meaningless.

I'd say that too if I'd written a naff, heavy handed, obvious song whilst pissed :lol: It's clearly something Pete felt was a bit naff but its obviously about something. In fact I've heard Pete Townshend say its about various different things over the years.

Edited by Len B'stard

He wrote this song right in the middle of touring Tommy, and a lot of songwriters say they can't write while they're on tour. Maybe he was being encouraged to put a single out by Lambert & Stamp. As far as Axl goes, wasn't the regression hypnosis, trips to Sedona and whatever else he's done, all about seeking? Songwriters in general are seekers.
I don't know if Axl met Timothy Leary, but he did meet three Beatles and Bobby Dylan.
Here's more:
I wrote it when I was drunk in Florida. We were in the middle of an American tour and me and the production manager went out to Tom Wright's father's pad in the middle of the jungle to get some sun, and because we were only there for like five days, this guy was a very good friend of mine, he got in lots of steaks and lots of booze, and he like to overdid everything and it ended up with us, him and the production manager getting completely stoned every night and me being the only person that could stand up, playing, and we were just standing amid the sand spurs one day, I was just covered in sand spurs, I kept on falling and they stick in your skin and you can't get them out, screaming with pain and singing this song and it just came out, "I'm looking for me, you're looking for you, we're looking at each other and we don't know what to do."
"I wrote a couple of songs in a period where people were writing extensive analysis of my character and stuff like this. And I thought, 'Well, fuck it. You don't know me. I don't know myself, how can you know me?'"