Can someone in the know please explain to me why this band is still doing FUCK ALL in terms of promotion?

Bobbo

Axl is lazy, insecure, and with total control. He reached epic proportions of success already and he's old.

I've said it before: it's probably like restoring an old car for him. And he seems to have a serious problem with letting it go, saying it's done and just stop tinkering with it.

There was no one around to get him to release anything. Now with Duff and Slash, he'll hopefully feel confident enough to release more music, but I've learned to not ever expect anything from him except delays and nothing.

Edited by Rovim

10 hours ago, Carlycosmos said:

On one hand it gets very exciting because if they don't show up until the first gig, that's going to be huge (for the lucky ones that are attending) but I understand the frustation. Axl didn't even tweet thank you all for the birthday wishes or happy valentines day like he used to do every year LOL. It might be strategy. Anyway let see what happens in the next weeks.

Yup. Its the one very selfish reason I'm thinking/hoping its what they're doing. For those that paid a premium to see them in Vegas, THAT will be the first time you get to see them. I'm being completely transparent: if I wasn't going, I'd probably be saying they should do something. But since I am, the whole thought of "they won't do a thing till they get on that Vegas stage" is a really cool thought. Its probably giving them too much credit, but its cool to thing that might be a thing for the fans. Those shows are already going to be insane crowdwise. Even moreso if they literally do NOTHING until stepping out and they just decided to fuck all the press and say "we'll announce shows, and those that really have faith will come out." Again, thats not a defense of what their doing, but I can't help it to be wishful thinking since I'll be in Vegas.

As for Slash and Duff following along spinelessly and for the money, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have put my faith in Slash for about a decade at this point. He has truly never let me down in terms of releases and live performances. Even questionable decisions like doing a song for a fucking cartoon for Phineas and Ferb turned out to have amazing results (its a great fucking song lol). I trust Slash until he gives me a reason not to trust Slash. If this "reunion" is the first example of that, then it is. But until Vegas, the past has proven to me that Slash has a good track record of doing the right thing. I have no choice but to have faith he's doing that again here. Duff is pretty much the same, I just don't follow him as closely, but he also seems to have a ton of integrity.

• Like 1

Y'know the whole "the band members aren't 100%" thing, I don't think it's as big a deal as we're making out. If Axl had went on Kimmel in January, and the question was asked, all he needed to say was "we're working on that right now, we're open to doing something with the AFD guys, we'll see". Doesn't promise anything, all it would have said is negotiations are taking place and it may or not come to pass. 

I guess once they do an interview the buzz is over with, right now everybody is talking about them "will they do an interview???", same thing every week. These guys have only a couple shows announced, all of which are sold out and they've done the bare minimum in promotion... trying to view it from their position, I don't see many reasons to change anything. Maybe if there was a chance of slow sales in a market one or more of the guys might do some press, but outside of extensive US touring, I think they'll be fine wherever they go, with or without press.

On February 15, 2016 at 9:21 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Jesus christ, you people are insane

Some in here are. Like I said I don't disagree with the diesels or bonos in this thread at all, but I don't think they're exactly at the point where they are completely justified. They are to an extent.

Someone made the sabbath point and as far as I'm concerned right now, for the time being, it makes more sense than anything else anyone is saying here. Sabbath announced their reunion with Bill Ward, then ward pulled out. What if this band announced a reunion with the original 5 and then shit hits the fan with Steven so he's out then Izzy changes his mind about doing all the shows?

Could you imagine announcing a full stadium tour via press conference with the original lineup then someone backing out? Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Something this crucial and fragile, better stay superstitious. Better safe than sorry. That's why I'm waiting another month before trying to whine and complain because the band that never did things my way isn't doing things my way. 

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

Nobody wants to promote the reunion just yet because the truce is so fragile. In promoting the reunion, Slash and especially Axl would be confronted with a bombardment of questions about both the break-up and the reunion of their personal relationship.

Consider how awkward that would be before a single note has rung out at a single show. But those questions are going to come. They would have come on Jimmy Kimmel and they'll happen the next time Slash sits down with Howard Stern and anywhere a microphone is stuck in their face.

An awkward interview or something that could be perceived as dredging up the past has the potential to kill the reunion before it even starts.

They might be enjoying the silence if it gives them a chance to play first.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is something depressing about the forum since the reunion was announced.

Axl chose to cancel on Kimmel, no official line up announced, no band pic. I think that when the first show will be right around the corner and people will actually get something to get excited about and not just in theory, forum mood will improve but personally, I'm joyously anticipating what will come next.

Edited by Rovim

To be honest I don't think there needs to much promotion just now especially with how ticket sales are going but it would be nice to have some sort of interview to read/listen to. I think it'll be around mid march before any promotion starts and interviews being done for April edition of rock magazines. Hopefully tour dates start coming out too. 

The only thing that's frustrating is the secrecy of the line up. It looks like it's going to be the hybrid line up with izzy and steven guest appearing so why not just announce it. They don't need to advertise it as axl slash and duff because that's the only people that's going to get the publicity from a hybrid line up anyway. 

Edited by Gold top 78

5 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

To be honest I don't think there needs to much promotion just now especially with how ticket sales are going but it would be nice to have some sort of interview to read/listen to. I think it'll be around mid march before any promotion starts and interviews being done for April edition of rock magazines. Hopefully tour dates start coming out too. 

The only thing that's frustrating is the secrecy of the line up. It looks like it's going to be the hybrid line up with izzy and steven guest appearing so why not just announce it. They don't need to advertise it as axl slash and duff because that's the only people that's going to get the publicity from a hybrid line up anyway. 

It all depends on how you look at it. AfD 5 with Frank and Fortus covering Izzy and Steven who have their various issues. Verses hyrbid line-up with Izzy and Steven guesting?

Glass half full imo, go for the former.

Though this is yet another reason why they need cut Pittman. Dizzy is a non-entity and at least was there during the UYI era.

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is something depressing about the forum since the reunion was announced.

Really? Cause its not meant to badmouth anyway, but the forum (which isn't really the forum's fault, it was the band was run) was pretty depressing the last few years. We had NOTHING to talk about and we had relatively subpar performances. I won't say the reunion has given this board new life, but its at least given us a different chapter. People couldn't even say the words "reunion" two years ago and now we're talking about shows Axl and Slash will be playing. Regardless of anything anyone feels about that, it should be seen as an improvement. If the reunion is a cash grab, you at least have to concede Axl going out with the Nu band, year after year, playing the same songs, giving the same kinds of performances, was as much a cash grab. At least this grab is something different and rooted in the foundation of this band.

Again, this isn't meant to be an attack on you or anyone that isn't happy with the reunion. I don't think anyone is 100% happy about what's happening. But to say the place is depressing now? People weren't contributing to this forum for a year in between the Vegas shows and this reunion announcement because of how depressing this band was.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2016 at 7:16 PM, gunsfanoldie said:
On 18/02/2016 at 7:16 PM, gunsfanoldie said:

Really? Cause its not meant to badmouth anyway, but the forum (which isn't really the forum's fault, it was the band was run) was pretty depressing the last few years. We had NOTHING to talk about and we had relatively subpar performances. I won't say the reunion has given this board new life, but its at least given us a different chapter. People couldn't even say the words "reunion" two years ago and now we're talking about shows Axl and Slash will be playing. Regardless of anything anyone feels about that, it should be seen as an improvement. If the reunion is a cash grab, you at least have to concede Axl going out with the Nu band, year after year, playing the same songs, giving the same kinds of performances, was as much a cash grab. At least this grab is something different and rooted in the foundation of this band.

Again, this isn't meant to be an attack on you or anyone that isn't happy with the reunion. I don't think anyone is 100% happy about what's happening. But to say the place is depressing now? People weren't contributing to this forum for a year in between the Vegas shows and this reunion announcement because of how depressing this band was.

Is this how Guns N' Roses finally ended up? After the break up, then the fifteen (+) years of new band bullshit with one paltry album to show for it, and then the three of them all throw their lot in for a pot load of cash? It is depressing to see that is how the band ended up - granted it has been equally as depressing watching Axl 2011-14.

My thing is this: 

If we get to Vegas and there's still dead silence from the Guns camp... that's when my bitching will commence. I don't care how good the Vegas and/or Coachella performances are. I don't care how much (hopefully) positive buzz there is, there needs to be something by then. 

I do get why people are pissed but I'm somewhere in the middle on it right now. Vegas & Mexico are sold out, so they don't really have much to promote anyway BUT I would assume more shows are going to be announced and I think they'll start having a hard time moving tickets if they remain silent. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

My thing is this: 

If we get to Vegas and there's still dead silence from the Guns camp... that's when my bitching will commence. I don't care how good the Vegas and/or Coachella performances are. I don't care how much (hopefully) positive buzz there is, there needs to be something by then. 

I do get why people are pissed but I'm somewhere in the middle on it right now. Vegas & Mexico are sold out, so they don't really have much to promote anyway BUT I would assume more shows are going to be announced and I think they'll start having a hard time moving tickets if they remain silent. 

My guess is all the talking will be done on the stage, nothing more than that. I'm thinking they're gonna announce the US tour (if there is going to be one) after Coachella, but that's it.

5 minutes ago, emybdc said:

My guess is all the talking will be done on the stage, nothing more than that. I'm thinking they're gonna announce the US tour (if there is going to be one) after Coachella, but that's it.

Then they're going to have a VERY hard time filling stadiums.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does not have to be a big press conference. Why doesn't Slash do an interview with a magazine like Classic Rock or Guitar World? He is always doing interviews with these magazines and now suddenly he stops!

I agree. Or maybe they could do a video of some sort, just the three of them together. But I believe none of that will happen. Axl of course is gonna say stuff on stage, maybe Duff and Slash too. But if the first concerts are good, they're not gonna have problems filling stadiums.

I'm glad Axl pulled out of Kimmel, I don't think that's the right platform to launch this reunion. Same for any talk show of that style.

I'd like them to have a sit down with Jericho. I've listened to the below interview with Slash, and it's really good. He's also interviewed both Duff and Axl, so he's met them all.

He's a good conversationalist, who knows when to shut up and let the guest speak. So many interviewers interject or become unnecessarily combative to try and get something newsworthy. He also doesn't have some co-host laughing in the background and acting a fool. I can't stand that format. As someone who's been in entertainment, he gets it and can ask interesting questions while still be respectful.

It would be good if he just hung out with them for a bit and recorded a few interviews or something more conversational. With individual members and maybe groups/pairs. Whatever happens, happens. Then edit it into a podcast. Something informal, not the press conference that Trunk is desperate for.

EP92 & EP93

http://podcastone.com/Talk-Is-Jericho

The Axl/nugnr/TB method of dealing with the fans is to basically roger them up the arsehole on a systematic basis. Pitman's recent outburst is actually a good example of the general disdain held by Axl/nugnr/TB towards the fans. Never has a fanbase been as ridiculed, used, abused and left productless as Axl's GN'R's. GN'R's fanbase are like a beaten housewife who come back, expecting things to change, only to receive a second thumping. 

You would look in vain for a more discontent fanbase - go on, try if you dare!

So all that has happened is Slash and McKagan have adopted the Axl/TB/Nugnr methodology of shafting the fans regularly, hence, the leaving them in the dark, ignoring them, and treating them like something moderately irritating. It will probably take a few months of Team Brazil interrogation and mind probes to turn them into employees who are willing to call the fans dildoes, but I expect that will happen eventually. Slash and Duff are probably already enduring something similar to this,

9770690750cf15f880ccb550d0aab235.jpg

Very disappointing seeing as Slash and Duff used to keep their fanbases informed all the time, and generally had a chatty open channel with their fans - and they released stuff for the fans to buy.