Richard a bit overbearing?

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Come on, we have a reunion. Why are people still bitching, especially about a rock guitar player moving too much on stage?

Nobodys moving too much, especially axl :D its just if someone looks like having 2 H orgasm on stage, its kind of annoying. 

3 hours ago, Kenan said:

I just can't believe the nitpicking level of some GNR fans..Now that we have Slash and Duff back in the band, now that the band is actually in a VERY good place, people start complaining about Ferrer...then it's Melissa, and now, Fortus? Are you serious? He's a good guitar player and he does exactly what he's supposed to the on the stage - rocking it out!

Some people can never be happy..

Yup, I'm not surprised sadly

1 minute ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

I never thought the forums would be full of old guns only sympathizers, and I didn't imagine they would be so fucking lame if that ever did happen.

I'm starting to think we should have closed the forums like ac/dc when this happened.

You think this is bad? Things are straight up positive here compared to the past.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

You think this is bad? Things are straight up positive here compared to the past.

Compared to when past? I don't remember anybody commented how Richard rocked out to much before the reunion. I only remember a little bit of Ashba bashing even. If he was the second guitar instead of Richard for this reunion there would probably be a boycott.

Shit was dire on here from 2011 to 2014 for the most part. The 2009 to 2010 tour was probably when morale was highest here. People who wanted a reunion accepted it wasn't going to happen (heh), the shows were 3 hours long, setlist variety, and Axl sounded great. DJ didn't even suck so bad back then

• Like 2

Fortus is an amazing players

His volume is usually higher than Slash's but seems to be getting better

Whenever a show starts he, in his mind, is counting down to when he can take off his shirt and bare chested (everyone else in the band has their shirt on)

He gets his moves from Kip Winger... Probably into ballet as well

His moves are cringe worthy and the punching thing on a ballad like November Rain looks funny

It does come off as trying too hard to look cool in a way.  I like him and he is a great player, but crazy poses are distracting...

I too prefer him to know his role and be more like a Malcolm/Izzy and shine at his moments, etc. 

I feel like a goober commenting on this, but deep inside I felt the same way as the OP and others in this thread.

18 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

Fortus is an amazing players

His volume is usually higher than Slash's but seems to be getting better

Whenever a show starts he, in his mind, is counting down to when he can take off his shirt and bare chested (everyone else in the band has their shirt on)

He gets his moves from Kip Winger... Probably into ballet as well

His moves are cringe worthy and the punching thing on a ballad like November Rain looks funny

It does come off as trying too hard to look cool in a way.  I like him and he is a great player, but crazy poses are distracting...

I too prefer him to know his role and be more like a Malcolm/Izzy and shine at his moments, etc. 

I feel like a goober commenting on this, but deep inside I felt the same way as the OP and others in this thread.

There's no reason not to take off his shirt. Slash should have his off to, hell Axl should have his off as well. The only reason they don't is because there embarrassed. Which isn't very rock N' roll. Duff to as well they all used to go shirtless. Your complaining that GNR don't rock as hard as they used to and are getting mad that Richard still does.

Edited by StoneTempleRoses

15 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

There's no reason not to take off his shirt. Slash should have his off to, hell Axl should have his off as well. The only reason they don't is because there embarrassed. Which isn't very rock N' roll. Duff to as well they all used to go shirtless. Your complaining that GNR don't rock as hard as they used to and are getting mad that Richard still does.

I am not complaining and am loving the shows but the OP asked a question and I was honest. Yes, he looks silly at times but he is a monster player so it doesn't kill it for me. 

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Such a stupid topic. Richard is incredible. The guy is soo underrated, he should be lead guitar for guns. He can play circles around Slash and Buckethead. Everybody here knows this.

And who cares about Izzy? Only mulletheads. Richard has so much more stage presence. I love how he punches his guitar and makes those guitargasm faces during every song. I wish he would do it more. Slash should hang back and stop showboating so Richard can shine more. 

No he isn't as good as Bucket or Bumble (Who are both in the top 10 technical guitarist alive today).

2 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

i just don't get it when people say that they'd prefer this guy at 2:05 on the video, over fortus

rly?

What's the point? There's no sound coming from Gilby's guitar, that's doesn't make him a bad player at all. Gilby is great and wrote some cool songs after his time in GNR.

About Richard, I love his playing. Would obviously take Izzy over him but if Izzy's not involved, then I'm glad Richard is. Some of his moves look kinda silly to me (when soloing in Wish You Were Here for example) but it's no big deal. Don't think he's trying too hard and showing off.

This is an example of showing off ridiculously and as much as I like Jacob, I think Duff should have punched him! 

10 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Dude had to refuse gigs with David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails before...I think he's pretty comfortable regarding his career.

Richard moves too much for your taste ? At this point, all the complaining really starts to sound like confirmation bias : you are ruining your own experience and it's frankly hilarious.

Yeah, Richard is an A-list rock guitar badass. I've known him about 15 years. (I hooked him up with the Fernandes Sustainer guitar that he used on Madagascar on their MTV return appearance back in the early 2000's. He told me that Axl liked the sound of that sustainer feature so much that he had Richard add some overdubs with it to Madagascar on CD.)  In addition to his musical talents, he's one of the coolest humans you will ever meet, famous or not. Being in the same room listening to him check out guitars is a mind-bending experience. Yeah, he's THAT good.

Now, do I feel that Slash and Fortus are an official "Guitar team of doom"? HELL YES. I hope these 2 have a long lasting and very productive partnership. Those 2 can accomplish much. I hope to choose to. Izzy's not here. That was his choice. Even with Izzy IN the band, Slash is the guitar god. We all know that. Fortus is a bad mofo, and I'm glad that Slash has another guitar partner worthy of his talents.

Edited by JohnnyGtar

Bananaland! Fortus has been the lifeblood of GNR since 2002. The guy brings it onstage naturally without even trying, and he's an amazing guitarist to say the least. Plus he's the perfect compliment to slash and duffs stage energy.

10 hours ago, Jeramy213 said:

Richard is without a doubt the next best thing to Izzy and maybe an even better choice at this point in time.  He's an undeniably amazing musician.  He plays with a ton of emotional energy and I myself think he has a really cool stage presence.  He's put in the time and effort to earn his place in GN'R and totally deserves to be a part of all this.

:headbang:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, superloconoriega said:

i was at the show yesterday, and just like i said on my review ,  I AGREE 100%. I love Richard and i think he was a great fit for some past versions of the band, but when he's doing those spins right next to slash and duff who are just feeling the song it comes across very motley crew-esque and really distracting. This was so noticeable during Nightrain, couldnt stand it!

at the first night Vegas show I notice Duff came over and kinda maneuvered between him and Axl pushing Fortus away from Axl and I LOVED it!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

What's the point? There's no sound coming from Gilby's guitar, that's doesn't make him a bad player at all. Gilby is great and wrote some cool songs after his time in GNR.

About Richard, I love his playing. Would obviously take Izzy over him but if Izzy's not involved, then I'm glad Richard is. Some of his moves look kinda silly to me (when soloing in Wish You Were Here for example) but it's no big deal. Don't think he's trying too hard and showing off.

This is an example of showing off ridiculously and as much as I like Jacob, I think Duff should have punched him! 

well, i really don't think gilby is that great, tbh i think he is pretty average with nothing special to offer, and i would never take him over richard, but that's just my opinion and i respect yours as well

2 minutes ago, rendestroi95 said:

well, i really don't think gilby is that great, tbh i think he is pretty average with nothing special to offer, and i would never take him over richard, but that's just my opinion and i respect yours as well

I think Gilby did a pretty good job in the band, he barely had time to learn the songs (and if my memory serves, they played Locomotive in some of his first gigs in late '91) and he did well, but my opinion is not too diferent from yours. I wouldn't bring back Gilby to replace Richard. If Izzy's not coming back, then I'm fine this way. As I said, I love Richard's playing.

• Like 1

I like Richard.

I agree the spins and massive chord strikes are a little intense haha... but he can do as he pleases... we can't be this nitpicky. Remember how Slash used to try and outsprint Axl? And out-jump? While smoking and playing a solo? That's a little much too haha. Gives people on the other side of the stage something to enjoy. Dave Kushner had the same kinda vibe.

That said, maybe someone should slip him a joint. Make him lean back a bit.... sink in to it....

Edited by Ant