TSI - anyone else's 2nd fav?

I'd put it last but above the sin that is Live Era. When I buy a live album, I want it to BE live and no messed with outside of EQ adjustments. I know GNR are not the only ones who have done it but that doesn't mean it's cool. 

49 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Thanks Sprite.

You touched on something else I fail to understand and have been meaning to comment on. The fact that there are so many members of this site -- a Guns N' Roses themed site no less -- that seemingly do nothing but criticize the band and it's members ad nauseam. I often read comments about how this band or that band is better or this vocalist/guitarist or that vocalist/guitarist is far superior. I wonder WTF these people are doing here? I mean, it seems like these people don't even like GN'R, so why would you come to a fan site dedicated to --- well, GUNS N' ROSES?

The easy answer is that they are merely T-ROLLS with nothing better to do in life. And, for some, that's likely the case. But many of them proclaim to be diehard fans of the band. If so, I don't get it. Hell, even if you are just a casual fan -- why would you bother coming here? I would like to believe the vast majority that took the time to sign up for this site actually have a strong liking and addiction to this band that they want to share with like-minded individuals. Unfortunately, it doesn't often seem this way. I've only been a member of this site for 4 months, but I've seen enough already to come to that conclusion.

I'm not saying that it's unfair to be critical or that everything has to be positive. I just don't get why someone would bother spending time here unless they were a huge fan and as a huge fan I don't get how someone could constantly believe other bands and band members are so superior.

Someone please 'splain this to me :)

In my opinion takes all kinds of fans to make these boards fun and interesting.  Every fan discussion site I have been a part of have the same wide range of fans that goes all the way down the scale from a pessimistic the sky is falling and everything is turning to trash to the optimistic everything is sunshine and roses or if it isn't it will get better. I am not sure if I am just drawn to this type of place because I like expanding my horizons and forcing myself to reevaluate my opinions or if this is truly how all places fans gather tend to go unless they are moderated with an iron fist.

Most likely everyone on this forum is a fan of Guns N' Roses to some extent. Yes, you may have some who are riling others up because they think it is fun, but you also have the ones who are just very passionate about the band/music in general and want to discuss every little detail. The ones you see as only constantly criticizing may simply have such an esteem for the band that they are holding them to a very high standard and are disappointed when the band doesn't reach what they feel the band has the capability of reaching. Or maybe esteem isn't the right way to say it. They have an image or an ideal of what the band should be in their mind and when the band falls short of it they will speak out about it. They are just as big of fans as anyone else, they just display their fan-hood in a different way.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

And therein lies the problem.  How can you have such lack of fuckin' foresight and understanding of the dynamics of songs that you claim to be fans of?  I bet they thought they were gonna make em better than the originals, like thats what punk shit lacked, a budget :lol:  Nobheads.

kina is what the originals lanked...the originals sound like demos...even elvis or jerry lee lewis or chuck berry's earliest rawest stuff sounded better put together

10 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

kina is what the originals lanked...the originals sound like demos...even elvis or jerry lee lewis or chuck berry's earliest rawest stuff sounded better put together

Ohhh!. It is too early in the morning for this. I'm just going to refrain and have a sip of herbal tea and forget I ever read that.

It's not my second fave either but I do love the album. Many amazing covers, and I think it showcases the band as a wholes influences and favorites, though i agree it was in the mist of all the turmoil and could have been more. It is good though in my books.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:45 PM, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Obv AFD is my GNR record but TSI is my 2nd fav album. Its their only album that captures the raw fun and punky spirit of GN'R (being a punk cover album helps this). it's not epic or deep but it's a nice refreshing treat to always listen to, just GN'R having fun which is rare and the songs they picked are obscure but cool to listen to. I love the UYI records but TSI is not only mixed a lot better, Matt also shines on TSI and Axl's voice is much better on TSI as well. My only complaint is Duff sings too many songs.But is it anyone else's 2nd fav GNR album?

I don't hate it like most people do, but it isn't my second favorite.  It's hard to love an album of all covers, no matter how good.   I think if Jumping Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel were on it, it would not have been so vilified.  I agree that I didn't care much for the Duff songs.  I just didn't like the songs, no so much that Duff sang them.  I liked Attitude.

There are certain songs on that album that when I'm in the mood for them, man I love them, Ain't it fun and Human being are 2 that never get old for me.

3 hours ago, thunderram said:

Thanks Sprite.

You touched on something else I fail to understand and have been meaning to comment on. The fact that there are so many members of this site -- a Guns N' Roses themed site no less -- that seemingly do nothing but criticize the band and it's members ad nauseam. I often read comments about how this band or that band is better or this vocalist/guitarist or that vocalist/guitarist is far superior. I wonder WTF these people are doing here? I mean, it seems like these people don't even like GN'R, so why would you come to a fan site dedicated to --- well, GUNS N' ROSES?

The easy answer is that they are merely T-ROLLS with nothing better to do in life. And, for some, that's likely the case. But many of them proclaim to be diehard fans of the band. If so, I don't get it. Hell, even if you are just a casual fan -- why would you bother coming here? I would like to believe the vast majority that took the time to sign up for this site actually have a strong liking and addiction to this band that they want to share with like-minded individuals. Unfortunately, it doesn't often seem this way. I've only been a member of this site for 4 months, but I've seen enough already to come to that conclusion.

I'm not saying that it's unfair to be critical or that everything has to be positive. I just don't get why someone would bother spending time here unless they were a huge fan and as a huge fan I don't get how someone could constantly believe other bands and band members are so superior.

Someone please 'splain this to me :)

You don't know the half of it, I had left this forum for about 2 years because it was so hyper critical of the band, but the mods have done a really good job of keeping freedom of speech and removing the pointless hate speech that never belonged here.  when I got to the point that I had to go elsewhere for GnR related news, it was akin to certain people going to Best Buy every day to explain to everyone in the store that Best Buy sucked.  You wanted to shake them and ask them "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ALWAYS HERE IF YOU HATE IT!?!?!?!?"

There was also dumb shit like passive aggressive rips at the band, one of the best examples was a mega trololol who I haven't seen in a while would always tell stories that seemed positive, but he would throw in some shit at the end to make it fucked up.  One of his long stories was about how he met Axl after a gig and Axl was super cool and having beers with him and it's a somewhat regular story then he casually slips in "Axl mentioned to me how much he hates the fans." then he continued on with a normal story.  All of his posts were like that.  I literally never saw one positive post from him and he wasn't the only one that would routinely preface pure hate speech with "I'm a huge fan of GnR" like that made it "ok."

The mods have cleaned it up quite a bit.  It's a better place. 

Edited by DeadSlash
  • Like 1

Of course a majority opinion doesn't equal fact. But neither does the opinion of the minority or just one. You positioned you opinion as fact, did you not? In reality, it is a left field opinion hence my comment and why I originally replied.

Fuck yes i positioned it as fact, for the simple fact that i can reason it out...and it's not even vaguely left field, The Stooges are a world reknowned rock n roll band that everybody and their mother cites as an influence, probably one of the most influential bands in rock n roll history, there's is nothing even mildly left field about claiming The Stooges are better than GnR.  They're even in that bullshit rock n roll hall of fame for crying out loud, i ain't talking about some fuckin' band of schleppers playing my local church fair.

Furthermore, the majority opinion, while still not fact, carries a lot more weight and credibility than the minority or one. Majority rules. That's how laws and codes of conduct get made, my friend. So I'm not sure what your point is in regard to that.

And other times the majority chat shit.  And sometimes the majority are easily led.  And sometimes the majority follows fads and trends.  And sometimes the majority hype a thing to a status not befitting its worth.  And other times they're right. 

GN'R looks up to The Stooges and other bands of that era because they came before them and were influences, not necessarily because they are better or more accomplished.

You're not qualified to make that statement.

Lastly, how many copies of Raw Power sold compared to Appetite for Destruction? To quote you "there's a reason why" AFD is one of the best selling albums of all-time and Raw Power isn't even close.

How many more rubix cubes were sold than Appetite For Destruction?  Raw Power sold jack shit.  As in jaaaaack fuckin' shit, Raw Power was in bargain bins 12 weeks after release, Raw Power flopped lower than whale shit.  Only to be influential 30 years later and gradually build a reputation over that time as one of the greatest documents of rock n roll ever, it is hallowed, it is storied, there are documentaries made about it, it is cited by musicians as one of the key pieces of work in rock n roll history, it's been co-opted by advertising campaigns and cinema and all sorts.  But yeah, what did it sell?  Fuck all.  And yet here we are almost 50 years after it's release still talking about it. 

So happy on all the points you made. I was reading and wanted to jump in but you covered t perfectly. Len likes to argue anything and he seems to have quite a distaste for a lot of guns material, or at least is constantly on the prowl to let you know someone is better or Axl is a "cock". I still think he's a great poster though. Get ready- he's about to pick apart everything wrong with this too.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but does it really bother you so much if someone calls Axl a cock?  Come to that i think 99.9% of rockstars are probably dickheads.  I'm not alone in my opinion of thinking Axl Rose is a nobhead in a lot of regards.  Fuck, I'm positively complimentary compared to what a lot of people think, which is that he's a racist little ginger woman beater, honestly, you wanna be a fan of fuckin' sleazy rock bands of dubious morals yet you expect their members to be treated like St Francis of Assisi, it just ain't gonna happen, it's like if someone was to call Iggy Pop a nobhead, in certain regards it would be very hard for me to argue against judging by his track record.  The question really should be why are you so bothered about the fact that some ginger bloke that you don't know from Adam who just happens to sing songs that you think are quite nice gets called a cunt sometimes on the internet.  I mean it's a bit odd, isn't, once you're past the age of 13.  I say umpteen complimentary things about him too but i ain't about to blow smoke up no ones arse, if you act like a cock I'm gonna point it out, it's really not ever such a big deal except in the delicate little emotions of people that perhaps don't have their feet planted ever so firmly on the ground, know what i mean?

Back on subject, of course the stooges were a great band and highly influential. Hence the reason they were covered on TSI by a band they had a huge influence over. But to go out and say "there ain't an album gnr made that can stand up to the stooges in quality" is the funniest, most left field thing I've read all day!

I imagine it would be on a GnR forum...back out in the real world however!

You don't know the half of it, I had left this forum for about 2 years because it was so hyper critical of the band, but the mods have done a really good job of keeping freedom of speech and removing the pointless hate speech that never belonged here.  when I got to the point that I had to go elsewhere for GnR related news, it was akin to certain people going to Best Buy every day to explain to everyone in the store that Best Buy sucked.  You wanted to shake them and ask them "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ALWAYS HERE IF YOU HATE IT!?!?!?!?"

'Hate speech?' :lol:  Well thats a bit fuckin' strong isn't it? :lol:  I'm not a vendor for copies of Mein Kampf, i ain't directing the queues at Auschwitz here, 'hate speech', good lord!

I think the production on Spaghetti is great...and Axl sounds fantastic. Slash's guitar is really out front too- more so than any of the earlier records. You can tell its the Axl/Slash show by that point. It also has perhaps the best drumming of any GNR record- Chinese is the only record I could rank next to it in those terms. They succeed in making every song on the record sound better than the original version though I can't definitively state that for the Manson track, because I've never heard the original and since that guy is a legend in his own right I'll withhold judgment on that one. Bottom line: great record. Certainly it ranks as one of the greatest covers albums of all time. I can't think of one off the top of my head that's in Spaghetti's league.

Bottom line is that it's a very random and disjointed pick of songs that combine to make a really underwhelming album.

As pointed out, if it had turned out to truly just be a stop gap offering then it wouldn't be so harshly judged but if you knew this was going to be the last offering for 15 years surely you'd be asking for a better set of covers.

And Lenny is right, they should have left Raw Power the fuck alone.

9 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

You're not qualified to make that statement.

But, somehow, you are qualified? LOL. Pot meet kettle.

You are certainly proving my "left field" comment to be spot on, so thank you for that.

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

But, somehow, you are qualified? LOL. Pot meet kettle.

You are certainly proving my "left field" comment to be spot on, so thank you for that.

When did i make a comment speaking about degrees of other peoples taste?  I didnt, i just took them on their word i.e. Interviews ive seen with Slash saying theyre one of the greatest bands of all time and the fact that they chose to cover them and even went as far as to suggest they and the other artists to be sought out, its you that took it upon yourself to go 'well actually, what they meant specifically was...'.

On 6 May 2016 at 5:09 PM, Len B'stard said:

And therein lies the problem.  How can you have such lack of fuckin' foresight and understanding of the dynamics of songs that you claim to be fans of?  I bet they thought they were gonna make em better than the originals, like thats what punk shit lacked, a budget :lol:  Nobheads.

But Iggy complained that Raw Power was badly recorded. I might remembering wrong but Duff knew Iggy and that's why he says yo Ig check it out or they took too much coke and thought everything they did was awesome. I think the way it worked was to take GNR back to that energy that fueled AFD. It's not a great punk album but it's a great GNR album in that way. My 2nd favorite behind CD to listen at the moment. UYI is a bit stop start to listen to, various vibes so you have be schizo to get into it. Somehow Spag incident is a good hard rock record.