How do people perceive you?

john lennon

I am John Lennon after all, so I think it's pretty much my right to make this completely unnecessary and weird thread, right?

How do people perceive you? Like, when you meet people, what do they usually think of you? Why do you think that's the impression they get? I'm very interested. 

As a paedophile or sex offender at best, I think.

Nah, I look sort of imposing/stern/weird I guess but I'm well spoken and all that so I'd like to think that once I start talking with someone that sort of fades away.

When somebody shows up at work and they are looking for me (and haven't met me before) they say he's the "interesting looking guy" which is probably nice talk for the fucking creepy weird fucker :lol:

On this forum it's a funny one, because I've got a knack for writing, when folks from here meet me in real life I am sure they think "she's not as witty as she is on the forum". I'm quite quiet, reserved and good at smiling and listening. Occasionally like taking the mick, but don't tend to do it when I've just met someone. I'm one big let down. Can anyone who's met me attest to this? 

• Like 1

Honestly?  I dont care.  For the simple reason that its something i can never know for sure and also because peoples reactions are different from person to person and its more to do with whats going on in their heads than what i really am.  I know what I am and who I am.  Honestly, I dont think people care enough to build substantial impressions about me, they got lives to live.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Honestly?  I dont care.  For the simple reason that its something i can never know for sure and also because peoples reactions are different from person to person and its more to do with whats going on in their heads than what i really am.  I know what I am and who I am.  Honestly, I dont think people care enough to build substantial impressions about me, they got lives to live.

i used to be so afraid of what people thought of me. high school was a nightmare. college was MUCH better and now i just really don't care. except for my friends and loved ones and of course they all think i am a delight :lol:

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i used to be so afraid of what people thought of me. high school was a nightmare. college was MUCH better and now i just really don't care. except for my friends and loved ones and of course they all think i am a delight :lol:

Being a long time fan of punk i adopted a Sid Vicious-esque attitude problem during secondary school that dealt with all that.  See cuz that way you can rest easy in the knowledge that everyone thinks you're a cunt.

• Like 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Being a long time fan of punk i adopted a Sid Vicious-esque attitude problem during secondary school that dealt with all that.  See cuz that way you can rest easy in the knowledge that everyone thinks you're a cunt.

i moved from Texas where i was fairly popular to a town in Cali where everyone had lived there forever and didn't like newbies. wish i had pulled a Sid Vicious on them!

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i moved from Texas where i was fairly popular to a town in Cali where everyone had lived there forever and didn't like newbies. wish i had pulled a Sid Vicious on them!

I moved school tons so i can relate, started off born in England going to school here, then moved to Kashmir for a year and went to school there (where corporal punishment on school kids is still allowed...ever been beaten up by a 40 yr old woman with a table leg as a 9 yr old? :lol: ).  Came back here after a year, got expelled, went to another one, its weird innit?  Constant readjusting.  

My first school was full of skinheads...and theres me looking like black ink on a white shirt :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Yeah, relating to what Len said you (hopefully) realise that most people are just busy living their own lives and aren't caught up in say, that pimple you had.

You spend 10 years of your life feeling embarrassed or sorry about something you did one time and that person doesn't even remember it.

It's funny when you leave school and join the workplace, I went from all my high school buddies to drinking with a bunch of 30-50 year olds down at the pub after and during work.

When you're in school, 2 years is like an eternity as far as age gap goes but outside it's just people really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

Yeah, relating to what Len said you (hopefully) realise that most people are just busy living their own lives and aren't caught up in say, that pimple you had.

You spend 10 years of your life feeling embarrassed or sorry about something you did one time and that person doesn't even remember it.

It's funny when you leave school and join the workplace, I went from all my high school buddies to drinking with a bunch of 30-50 year olds down at the pub after and during work.

When you're in school, 2 years is like an eternity as far as age gap goes but outside it's just people really.

Reminds me of something my sister once told me in a similar context, she was like 'you certainly think a lot of yourself dont you?  What makes you think that the whole world has got nothing better to do that think about you?'.  Quite liberating really.  And she was right.

• Like 1

I've been told by people that I don't give off a good first impression, but then I seem pretty kind and smart once they get to know me better.

I'm not sure why I don't come across well at first. But as others have pointed out here, it doesn't matter. Everyone is just busy worrying about themselves anyway.

Edited by rocknroll41

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I moved school tons so i can relate, started off born in England going to school here, then moved to Kashmir for a year and went to school there (where corporal punishment on school kids is still allowed...ever been beaten up by a 40 yr old woman with a table leg as a 9 yr old? :lol: ).  Came back here after a year, got expelled, went to another one, its weird innit?  Constant readjusting.  

My first school was full of skinheads...and theres me looking like black ink on a white shirt :lol:

yikes! makes mine seem like a walk in the park! :lol:

whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger though right? that's what i hear anyway :P 

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah right?

sometimes at difficult times in my life i have had that said to me and it took all i had not to slap them. well not slap, but maybe tell them to shut the hell up!

We could get all hippie about i suppose and be like 'well you're stronger insiiiiiiiide man' though I'm sure given the chance they'd rather the use of their legs.

• Like 1

oh yeah definitely. 

sadly a guy from my high school became a quadriplegic in a diving accident. he had been a track star, just graduated and was going to college on a track scholarship. post accident everyone thought he was dealing with it so well and then he got a hand controlled truck ( even though he had very limited use of his hands ) and shortly after he wrecked the truck and died. they investigated and ruled it a suicide so i guess he was not doing all that well...

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh yeah definitely. 

sadly a guy from my high school became a quadriplegic in a diving accident. he had been a track star, just graduated and was going to college on a track scholarship. post accident everyone thought he was dealing with it so well and then he got a hand controlled truck ( even though he had very limited use of his hands ) and shortly after he wrecked the truck and died. they investigated and ruled it a suicide so i guess he was not doing all that well...

Makes you think eh, here's me, won't get off my arse to change the channel and there's fuckin' track stars out there who end up quadraplegic.  God must've been on a fag break that day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

LOL. I was kinda in the same boat. Born and grew-up in India then moved to north-England when I was 9. I've been to four different highschools (one of which I only attended for 3 weeks <_<).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

LOL. I was kinda in the same boat. Born and grew-up in India then moved to north-England when I was 9. I've been to four different highschools (one of which I only attended for 3 weeks <_<).

Ooh! Another northerner! Where about are you from? Got a couple of northern folk here. (I'm from York).