GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

Thanks @sanity_lost for bringing the question of why-Axl-gets-so-trashed back to the table. I think it's a very interesting topic! I hadn't really thought about your theory before but it makes perfect sense imo. I find @Frey and @killuridols ideas very interesting and complimenting as well.

Also, I'd like to add that whatever you want to call it (masculine, feminine, etc), Axl has always been a very transgressive guy, so that has always got him in the spotlight, whether he likes it or not (and personally I think he does). Moreover, he's got himself a reputation for his rasp, the way he acted on stage (the running, the dancing, etc), the way he dressed, and also the way he looked. All of those things were important components of Axl's "trademark", so the fact that he doesn't get to pull many of them off anymore - because they were, as he said "part of being young and wild" - I think is what might be disappointing and a source of criticism. It's like now we have a different Axl, a different trademark so to speak, and not all people are willing to "buy" that. Just my two cents.

The other guys (Sluff), on the other hand, have always been more low-key and still manage to pull most of things they did back in the day as far as I see it.

Edited by solstar
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Nahh He didnt excited at all cause He only use 2 emoji :bitchfight::awesomeface:

40 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

:max: Not cool to piss on my bonfire mate 

I improved it a litte....better now? :smiley-confused2:

tweet_zpsmrx2zljz.jpg

(and tomorrow there will be a new Alternative Nation article about how Axl loves using his emojis :rofl-lol: :facepalm:)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

But I dont agree about Him smiling only when with beautiful female Fans, cause You know @killuridols He is smiling with a Male too N' Someone tht look like Slash because of Her/His curly hair :rolleyes::awesomeface:

Agree..I have seen that pic you are talking about, plus other pics with guys that made him smile... like that one guy who happened to mention AC/DC. That really brought a smile! 

3 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

OMG.  Here we go again.  :facepalm:

IMG_0753.gif

Ok. Should I hit the Report button or call @alfierose here so she can sort this matter  out? :shrugs:

I really don't know what's your beef but please refrain from derailing the conversation with this silly little drama no one cares about.

We are trying to have a nice debate over a topic that is of interest of a handful of people and if you don't like it or don't wanna be part of it, then stay out but quit spamming and desperately trying to call poster's attention with these passive-agressive comments because this is the first and last time I'll respond to you.

After this, you are going on Ignore, just like the rest of the spammers who seem to be looking only for trouble and not adding anything useful to this conversation or the thread itself. I suggest you do the same with my posts if they bother you so much. 

Thank you and goodbye.

-----

Now onto the real deal... 

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Also, ultimately, shouldn't the goal be for everyone to be free of this shit (whether this is realistic is a different matter)? No one (be it all the average women on the planet or the occasional girly guy like Axl) should have to deal with that.

-------

Well you know what they say about karma, yeah? Seems like Axl's karma has come back to bite him in his ample ass.

Sheila Kennedy? Was she the chick that Axl basically raped (though she doesn't seem to fully realize it)? The one he also told that he didn't want her friend to come along because she was fat? Yeah, he deserves all the bad karma in the world for that entire episode from start to finish.

Of course. I'm not saying that this is ok, for any gender, and I guess that's what feminism is trying to do. To get rid of this scrutiny out of women's body. I don't know if they'll ever succeed though. There's a whole industry of fashion, looks, gyms and "trying to be young forever" behind, moving millions and millions of bucks, that I doubt we'll be able to remove from society just like that.

----

Yes, that Sheila Kennedy, lol... That sort of "bunny" from Penthouse magazine.

2 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

:rofl-lol:

N' @killuridols I think it should be Slash the 'Daddy' one, not Axl :awesomeface:

oops, my bad... :facepalm:

why can't it be Axl? He wants to be daddy for a change :P

1 hour ago, Frey said:

Don't worry, Slash is the Daddy in @killuridols gif set, as far as I understood. :lol:

Google her name or search in the old thread for it and it will probably come up. I don't really wanna get into it again, I remember I got into a huge fight with @killuridols about this topic back then lol.

No, it wasn't, lol :rofl-lol: and I thought it was clear.... I'm sorry about that.... New vice-chairwoman mistakes of the first week at office :awesomeface:

Umm... If the weather was different, if we breath a different air... I guess we could rehash that old little feud :popcorn:

55 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Also @killuridols, it might be different in South America, but over here I do get the impression that people perceive Axl as kinda gay or effeminate (if they know who he is at all). I mentioned this during the early days of the old thread once already, but I had people (ACDC fans) asking me if Axl was gay. And another guy asking me if he's still wearing skirts (in a way that sounded very much like "is he still dressing like a fag or has he learned to dress normally by now?").

I also remember reading an article in an Austrian newspaper about Axl fronting ACDC and about 80% of the comments below were in some way making fun of him for being girly. Lots of comments along the lines of "Why did they put a picture of a grandma/some strange lady with this article" or "So [famous female Austrian politician] is fronting ACDC now? Well that's certainly a big career change!"

As @Frey said, Axl himself was aware of being perceived as effeminate, as the tattoo quote shows. Or those stories about him getting hit on by police officers and other men because they thought he was a girl. It probably bothered him a great deal, since he was a confused kid and very insecure in his masculinity, which led to all the over the top macho bravado.

I'll go a step further even and say it's not just the public (and Axl himself), but also the other guys in GNR (at least in the past).

"Izzy, have you ever worked with female singers? - Yeah, Axl (laughs)".

Stuff like that. Or Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven complaining about Axl's "bitching" or Axl being a "bitch". Even Slash commenting that Axl was the only one who looked good glammed up shows he was aware of Axl being somewhat androgynous.

Ok. I think there's a couple things to clarify...

When I talked about people's perception of Axl as a wild guy, very eccentric but never gay I was referring to the 90's.

And this is not a Southamerican thing because I was lucky to witness all GNR success live n' direct, while it was happening, no one told me or read on the Internet. My only sources of information were music magazines like Metal Hammer, Rip, Kerrang!, Circus and even pop mags like Smash Hits. They all were imported magazines I got from my kiosk and even though they were the Spanish version, it was all translated from the originals, so what I'm trying to say is that I got my latest Europe/USA news from them and not so much from the Argentinian mags. 

In the 90's Axl was not considered effiminate at all... Sexy? Yes. Whorish? Probably. A wild angry white man? Yes, those were the headlines. And he was in mags for girls as well, along with Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Jon Bon Jovi, Bret Michaels, Sebastian Bach and even Leonardo DiCaprio, who was just beginning. That was the panorama back then, as I was a full time teenager during those years.

Now let's fast forward to 2017 and I must tell you that yeah, you are correct about the current perception of Axl as an odd "old lady". There's even a Facebook page, created in Argentina (so for you to see this is not regional) which name is something like "Gentlemen who look like my aunt", or something similar, and it's meant to make fun of guys who look like women (according to these people). So they upload pictures of them and make fun of their looks, clothes, expressions, etc.

Axl in his current version is, of course, lumped there along with Steven Tyler, Elton John, Mick Jagger and a long list of Argentinian celebrities and public figures who share this androgynous looks.

So, in my opinion, he's not the only guy who gets mocked about his looks or for looking feminine at an old age. As I told you before, I never saw this happening when he was young, or at least not to an extent where most people would consider him female or effiminate or gay, probably because none of that matters when you're young and beautiful and it really doesn't look that bad... As youth is capable of making anything bearable.

And this is the reason why I think him and other guys and most people in general have to start taking more care of their looks when they age and understand that there comes a moment in life when you can't pull out uncombed hair because it doesn't look "grunge", it looks creepy; you can't go out wearing ripped jeans or wrinkled clothes because it doesn't look cool and teenage anymore, it looks as you are lazy and ridiculous and you can't dress androgynous and get away with it because people either start calling you "aunt" or "grandma" if you are a man or "old man" or "butch" if you are a woman.

It is all horrible and fucking wrong but it is the way it is.

:shrugs:Thank you Steven Adler for the tagline :P 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Now onto the real deal... 

Of course. I'm not saying that this is ok, for any gender, and I guess that's what feminism is trying to do. To get rid of this scrutiny out of women's body. I don't know if they'll ever succeed though. There's a whole industry of fashion, looks, gyms and "trying to be young forever" behind, moving millions and millions of bucks, that I doubt we'll be able to remove from society just like that.

Agreed. Although I don't think that the severe scrutiny applies only to women, at least not in showbiz, where looks many times have the edge over talent unfortunately.<_<

And this is not a Southamerican thing because I was lucky to witness all GNR success live n' direct, while it was happening, no one told me or read on the Internet. My only sources of information were music magazines like Metal Hammer, Rip, Kerrang!, Circus and even pop mags like Smash Hits. They all were imported magazines I got from my kiosk and even though they were the Spanish version, it was all translated from the originals, so what I'm trying to say is that I got my latest Europe/USA news from them and not so much from the Argentinian mags. SA

Also, SA is a very pro-macho, homophobic place still unfortunately :facepalm: so if Axl was too effeminate, it would def not have passed unnoticed here I reckon. Maybe androgynous and transgressive sound more fitting words to describe him?

And this is the reason why I think him and other guys and most people in general have to start taking more care of their looks when they age and understand that there comes a moment in life when you can't pull out uncombed hair because it doesn't look "grunge", it looks creepy; you can't go out wearing ripped jeans or wrinkled clothes because it doesn't look cool and teenage anymore, it looks as you are lazy and ridiculous and you can't dress androgynous and get away with it because people either start calling you "aunt" or "grandma" if you are a man or "old man" or "butch" if you are a woman.

It is all horrible and fucking wrong but it is the way it is.

:shrugs:Thank you Steven Adler for the tagline :P 

Axl has always been a very eccentric guy as far as his wardrobe choices go at least - remember when Cerati mentioned that he bumped into Axl in a shopping centre for old ladies where he was trying to buy a present for his mom back in the nineties?:lol: - so I don't think that's gonna change.  I like the ripped jeans but the excessive jewelry, the cloth around his waist, and even the hats look like some sort of costume, as if he was trying to hide something. Back in the day he would wear more "normal" clothes at least when he was off stage, but now, it's like he was attending a GNR theme party all the time. It looks really weird. :question:

Edited by solstar
  • Like 1

Not sure what the argument is I've been tagged over because there seems to have been a lot of mega long posts made today!

Perhaps having posters whose contributions they don't enjoy on ignore is a good idea for everyone and once again be mindful of the tone you use when replying to others.

• Like 1

After reading other comments I am starting to wonder if the idea was planted in my brain by this forum. It just kind of stuck there until more comments about Axl's looks came up along with having read comments on an article about a female political figure.

There has been a lot of lovey discussion for me to mull over. Later, though. I have too big of a headache to think much today.

3 hours ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Isn't it though? Or am I missing something? 

I am not sure?

My comment was an exploratory thought trying to figure out and think through why Axl is constantly criticize for his looks. Not supporting nor defending it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@solstar What's the story of Axl shopping in an old woman's shop? Or is it basically just what you wrote? :lol: 

I'm afraid it's in Spanish and couldn't find one with English subtitles but basically it's a radio interview where Cerati (a famous Argentine musician) says he met Axl by chance in a shopping centre in LA while he was trying to get a present for his mom. The anecdote is really funny :awesomeface:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, solstar said:

Also, SA is a very pro-macho, homophobic place still unfortunately :facepalm: so if Axl was too effeminate, it would def not have passed unnoticed here I reckon. Maybe androgynous and transgressive sound more fitting words to describe him?

Axl has always been a very eccentric guy as far as his wardrobe choices go at least - remember when Cerati mentioned that he bumped into Axl in a shopping centre for old ladies where he was trying to buy a present for his mom back in the nineties?:lol: - so I don't think that's gonna change.  I like the ripped jeans but the excessive jewelry, the cloth around his waist, and even the hats look like some sort of costume, as if he was trying to hide something. Back in the day he would wear more "normal" clothes at least when he was off stage, but now, it's like he was attending a GNR theme party all the time. It looks really weird. :question:

lol but I think you got it wrong? The story Cerati told? :lol:

He said he was at a store in L.A. looking for a dress for his mom and felt some little hands grabbing him by the back and making a gesture like "shhhh quiet" and then he saw a crazy girl screaming and running and that's when he realized that was Axl Rose who was hiding from a crazy fan, then when the girl was distracted by bodyguard, he could leave. Axl tried to hide behind Cerati, who was a really tall guy.

But I don't think Axl was in the store buying clothes for himself :rofl-lol:... He was there because he had been scaping from the crazy fans and thats the only place he had found to go unnoticed or to hide.

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He said he was at a store in L.A. looking for a dress for his mom and felt some little hands grabbing him by the back and making a gesture like "shhhh quiet" and then he saw a crazy girl screaming and running and that's when he realized that was Axl Rose who was hiding from a crazy fan, then when the girl was distracted by bodyguard, he could leave. Axl tried to hide behind Cerati, who was a really tall guy.

But I don't think Axl was in the store buying clothes for himself :rofl-lol:... He was there because he had been scaping from the crazy fans and thats the only place he had found to go unnoticed or to hide.

Right, when I said "his mom" I meant Cerati's! Sorry if the reference was not clear.

What's funny about the interview is that neither Cerati nor the other men who were interviewing him could undertand what Axl was doing in a ladies' shopping centre (one of them says that he was probably shopping for a new skirt :lol:) or how he acted around Cerati. This shows that his behavour has always been pretty difficult to read and that we are not the only ones trying to figure it out :awesomeface:

That being said, I don't think it's that crazy to think that Axl could possibly have been shopping there.:wacko:

Edited by solstar

36 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

@alfierose if I can be honest and frank for a moment, the beef is that quite a few of us are fed up with the abrasive way in which we are treated. To be even more honest, it's pretty much the same poster but no one wants to call them out.  Not trying to cause trouble or anything, just offering a bit of clarity about the issue.

I'm going to have an attempt to resolve this by PM. I have already contacted one person involved and will get to the rest of you in the next day or so. It's getting late here now and my son is poorly so I don't have a lot of spare time.

I would appreciate it if this issue is kept off the thread to avoid the inevitable derailment.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alfierose said:

I'm going to have an attempt to resolve this by PM. I have already contacted one person involved and will get to the rest of you in the next day or so. It's getting late here now and my son is poorly so I don't have a lot of spare time.

I would appreciate it if this issue is kept off the thread to avoid the inevitable derailment.

Thanks

Not a problem and thank you. I hope your son feels better soon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

Classic story of being famous,  love tht.  Never heard of Axl being chased by crazy Fans before, kinda interested N' want to read more like this

*I knew You gonna do this too if You meet Him, Chasing  His ass, trying to eat it ;)

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

oops, my bad... :facepalm:

why can't it be Axl? He wants to be daddy for a change :P

Well,  of course He cant since He is cough cough the bottom cough cough,

Its Slaxl not Axlash ;)

He wants to be the real daddy, not tht 'daddy'<_<

Edited by SerenityScorp

4 hours ago, solstar said:

Right, when I said "his mom" I meant Cerati's! Sorry if the reference was not clear.

What's funny about the interview is that neither Cerati nor the other men who were interviewing him could undertand what Axl was doing in a ladies' shopping centre (one of them says that he was probably shopping for a new skirt :lol:) or how he acted around Cerati. This shows that his behavour has always been pretty difficult to read and that we are not the only ones trying to figure it out :awesomeface:

That being said, I don't think it's that crazy to think that Axl could possibly have been shopping there.:wacko:

I dont know how you're able to "read" such thing from that radio interview..... I think he was pretty clear about what Axl was doing there, he was hiding from a fan who have chased him and I think that's the only place he thought they wouldn't go in, lol.

Ceratti's confusion was due to never expecting to meet Axl Rose under such circumstances but I dont think he ever thought Axl was there to buy clothes for himself, as the guy was using Cerati as a shelther to avoid the crazy fan. Not that he bumped into Axl checking out the clothes and trying on them :lol:

4 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Sweetheart, I was simply using the exact same words you used to reply to my posts. Sorry if you find your very own words offensive. 

I will send you a PM so not to derail the thread.

1 hour ago, SerenityScorp said:

Well,  of course He cant since He is cough cough the bottom cough cough,

"he is the bottom", loooool :rofl-lol:

34 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't know anything. I told you I do my job on automatic pilot :shrugs:

Now You know ;) You have to learn, Gurl~ From Chairman,  Dgnr N' Me :awesomeface: Be natural B-)

Somehow this is like He tells Us tht He got crush N' its the Rose *You know which Rose:awesomeface:

Edited by SerenityScorp

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I dont know how you're able to "read" such thing from that radio interview..... I think he was pretty clear about what Axl was doing there, he was hiding from a fan who have chased him and I think that's the only place he thought they wouldn't go in, lol.

Ceratti's confusion was due to never expecting to meet Axl Rose under such circumstances but I dont think he ever thought Axl was there to buy clothes for himself, as the guy was using Cerati as a shelther to avoid the crazy fan. Not that he bumped into Axl checking out the clothes and trying on them :lol:

lol, no! Yours could be a suitable explanation as well, but Cerati never said that Axl was there because he was hiding from a fan, he only said that he was escaping from a fan when he saw him, but not that that was the reason why he had entered the mall in the first place. I guess I can read that Axl was shopping there because that's what people usually do in these places. Also, the guys in the interview and even Cerati himself were confused as well and joked that he was probably buying clothes for his own mom or for himself. So I reckon they made the same inference too. :shrugs:

I guess I find it harder to read that he had entered that place with the sole purpose of hiding from this one fan, because I cannot think of a reasonable context for that to have taken place. I mean, where else could have he been when he saw the fan to begin with? :question: 

Edited by solstar