New interview with Brian Mantia!

ManetsBR

Brain-DW-orig.jpg

I made an interview with the Guns N' Roses drummer Brian Mantia for my Guns N' Roses website GNR-Online BR. Check it out:

-You told me in 2009 that you would tour with Guns N' Roses on the upcoming tour, you would play the new songs, and Frank Ferrer would play the old songs. How was that decided and why didn't it happen?

Brian: I guess they couldn't pull it!

-Are you out of the band? If so, did you get any official confirmation? Give us details about that.

Brian: i'm out of the currant touring band. i hope i can still be a part of the recordings!!!

-In February 28, 2009, when asked if you were still in the band, Axl said "Last I checked. Brain works on several things with Guns either from his home or in the studio." How does that work?

Brian: i'm doing some top secret shit right now!!!!!!!!

-You brought a new style of drumming to Guns N' Roses. Before Josh Freese and you, the beats were very simple. You have kinda a alternative rock and funcky style. Did Axl ever asked play "like that" or "like this" or just played what you think would fit in the band?

Brian: he want's you to do you... and i love that!!!

-Did you rehearsaled with the band on 2009?

Brian: no i didn't rehearse

-You wrote The General. Despite very few people having heard it, it has become a legend in the Guns N' Roses world. What do you think about that?

Brian: it's an awesome jam... i hope it's released soon!!!!!!

-How would you feel if you found out that it would never be launched?

Brian: it will come out... the shits to good!!!!!

-There's a sample of 16 seconds that has been floating around for sometime, it's called Checkmate and some people claim it's The General. You confirmed that it's you playing, but is this bit really from The General?

Brian: i don't wanna give it up :).

-Apart from The General, what other songs that didn't go on Chinese Democracy you helped to write?

Brian: a couple others, but i don't know what the working titles are.

-Many songs are left from the Chinese Democracy sessions. Do you recorded in all of them?

Brian: yes... most of them.

-Are there any plans on releasing this material? Would you know if there were plans?

Brian: no i wouldn't... i leave that shit for the suits. i'm just into makin' the MUSIC!!!!!

-Do you know if Frank Ferrer and Bumblefoot will re-record all of yours and Buckethead's parts?

Brian: you never know.

-How was the recording process? Each of you recorded your part alone? Was it common, in recording or in rehearsals, to the whole band play together, all each of you recorded and rehearsaled alone?

Brian: it was a combination of all those things... pretty much just like every recording i'm involved in.

-Let's talk about Buckethead. You recently workd with him on The Dragons of Eden and Iconography. Do you currently have any other projects with him?

Brian: we just recorded a five disk set called "Best Regards"

-Since Buckethead brought you to Guns N' Roses, how did you feel when he left?-

Brian: Pretty bad... He's my friend so it was very hard... I felt like I was losing a friend more then a band mate.

-You said that Axl asked to re-record note for note of Josh Freese's work, on the early 00s. When did you first record the "genuine" Brain?

Brian: Right after.... I did the josh thing then jumped right into brain!!!

-When did you last wrote or recorded something to Guns N' Roses?

Brian: Been doing some cool re-mixes for guns!!! That shit is sick!!! It's gonna rip peoples faces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-What were your highlights with Guns N' Roses and which was the biggest frustration?

Brian: the live shows were always a highlight for me!!! i'm just bummed i'm not a part of that anymore.

-Thank you very much for the interview. Any message you would like to give to the fans?

Brian: Love Ya Guys!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ManetsBR

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-You wrote The General. Despite very few people having heard it, it has become a legend in the Guns N' Roses world. What do you think about that?

Brian: it's an awesome jam... i hope it's released soon!!!!!!

maybe it's an instrumental? maybe something that was jammed on in between songs during the 2006 tour?

-In February 28, 2009, when asked if you were still in the band, Axl said "Last I checked. Brain works on several things with Guns either from his home or in the studio." How does that work?

Brian: i'm doing some top secret shit right now!!!!!!!!

New songs maybe???

Can't wait for some new shit to be released. Brian is prob GNR's second best drummer (behind Adler cause he provided a signature sound w/gnr).

You know the drumming on CD was good when Duff said one of the highlights from this album was the great drumming.

Can't wait for some new shit to be released. Brian is prob GNR's second best drummer (behind Adler cause he provided a signature sound w/gnr).

You know the drumming on CD was good when Duff said one of the highlights from this album was the great drumming.

when did duff say that?

when did duff say that?

I don't really remember actually. It was in an interview recently after the release of CD, the interviewer of course asked him for his thoughts on CD.

Edited by billows

What a guy. Best drummer GNR have ever had.

StevenAdlerGunsnRoses3.jpg

Does not have jack shit on Brain, I don't care what the name of the album he played on was. Brian is just inhuman behind the kit, he has the thunder, the groove, the character... you name any positive quality about a drummer and Brain's got it.

It doesn't matter if Steven isn't the more technical drummer

Steven had the classic GNR sound with the groove that was AFD

Brain still is my favorite of the new drummers

No one's saying that's all that matters. And the only reason why Steven has that classic GNR sound is because he was part of the classic GNR. It's kind of a "nah, really?!?!" kind of statement when people say this, because it can apply to any drummer ever in any band ever. It's basically a worthless statement. It's like saying the drummer who drummed on Black Sabbath's "classic albums" has the "classic Black Sabbath sound" (Bill Ward, who I actually really like). So? What the heck does that even mean? My opinion is that the drumming on Appetite for Destruction could've stood to be a bit more interesting and the drumming could've played a much bigger part than it did. Adler was mediocre.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounded offensive at all, ThinkAboutYou, I really didn't mean it that way.

Edited by LightningBolt

It doesn't matter if Steven isn't the more technical drummer

Steven had the classic GNR sound with the groove that was AFD

Brain still is my favorite of the new drummers and Frank even has a decent sound

You missed my point entirely... I said i didn't care that Steven played on Appetite, Brain's still the best.

I think that Brain similarly to Paul Huge doesn't want to tour with GNR, but only record in studios

and Frank... IMHO Axl doesn't like "comebacks" of "former" bandmates, the only case was Izzy, but that's a different story...

I would say that he got used to Frank, and doesn't want to throw him away... It would be unfair. I guess that if Brain really

wanted to come back, he would do it in 2007 or 2009. Having a small baby was just an excuse, RIchard had a baby too,

and he didn't go away

but that's just my speculation

I'm curious what about the remixes Brain mentioned... Allegedly, there was an idea to release a record with remixes or sth,

as far as I remember... but I don't approve it, unless they're given to fans for free download

Guest gunns5

"Best drummer gnr ever had" couldn't have said it better myself.

That guy is incredible both live and in the studio, and hopefully one day very soon he will be back in GnR's touring lineup on a more frequent basis.

"Best drummer gnr ever had" couldn't have said it better myself.

That guy is incredible both live and in the studio, and hopefully one day very soon he will be back in GnR's touring lineup on a more frequent basis.

x a million!!! Brian is indeed the best drummer GNR has ever had. :thumbsup: