Hollywood Rose-The Roots of Guns N' Roses

Is it worth picking up a physical copy ? I'm also assuming Gilby was on great terms with axl & izzy in 04 to work his magic on some tracks

Axl, Slash and Duff apparently tried to block the record from being released, without success.

Is it worth picking up a physical copy ? I'm also assuming Gilby was on great terms with axl & izzy in 04 to work his magic on some tracks

Axl, Slash and Duff apparently tried to block the record from being released, without success.

Yeah they claimed it would detract from the sales and promotion of the Greatest Hits that they were also trying to block from release.

It depends on how much of a collection you want to have. If you like having all the Guns N' Roses releases, then this is the most official unofficial one out there and it wouldn't stand out in your collection, but you won't spend too much time listening to it. It's nothing you haven't heard before, but hey, if you get your kicks out of listening to three versions of mediorce Hollywood Rose songs then you're in luck.

Edited by Conor

I reluctantly bought it. I wanted to own it because it's essentially GnR. But I felt it was a bit of a ripoff for having the same 5 tracks on it 3 times in a row. At full price.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

I'm glad I bought mine 10 years ago. The first five tracks are good! The next five are cool too. 2 have Tracii Guns over dubbs on them, I liked hearing

his take on those songs. The last five are just remixes by Fred Coury, which were really unnecessary. If it has Axl and Izzy on it, you should buy it.

• Like 1

Repeating the same songs twice was just to fill the space up really. The record company, Cleopatra, obviously drafted in Gilby, Tracii and to a lesser degree Fred, to add a further 'GN'R' connection.

It is good. Hollwood Rose were more, Judas Priest, than the Stonesy/Aerosmith sound that GN'R possessed. Chris Weber is an obvious shredder. I treat this as more like a historical and interesting thing rather than music I put on a lot. It is a bit like The Beatles Anthology I in that it is interesting hearing the band's history. It is extremely worth obtaining but do not expect some, 'lost GN'R masterpieces'. You can buy copies for under £2 on Amazon marketplace so it is not as if it will cost you much. You may as well get it and stick it in your collection.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

Well Reckless Song is a good song on Live Like A Suicide and it is a good song here. Axl and Izzy could write a song even then. They sound like a decent sleazoid metal act but you needed Slash and Duff there to write the great material which appeared on Appetite. There is an obvious leap in quality there, from Reckless Life to Nightrain.

Hollywood Rose played the same clubs that Guns played, Madame Wongs, The Troub, places like that. I wish we knew more about that era. Canter's book only begins when Slash entered the picture (with New Hollywood Rose).

It is cool hearing them for historical purposes but it isn't something I ever feel the need to play.

You can tell that Axl and Izzy needed Slash and the other guys to really turn tunes like Reckless Life into something greater. And how the Appetite lineup really was something special

I was just really getting into GN'R full-throttle when this album came out and I immediately bought it and listened to it way more than I'd ever care to admit.

It's truly only for the die-hard fans, but I remember getting a real kick out of it. Getting to hear Axl evolving from an early stage...it's fascinating in that regard. I remember the liner notes from GN'R's ex manager (I want to say her name was Vicki Hamilton) were also interesting to me as a new fan. But from a more objective standpoint, the music is kinda shit. :lol:

• Like 1

If they had avoided the remixes of the same songs, this album woulb be more "cult" for a gnr fan.

I'd actually dig it more as a 5-track EP, yeah. Seems like less of a ripoff/cashgrab.

Edited by username

Don't pay for this shit, get it from 4shared

Shut up Miser.

:jerkoff:

Miser pls.

I dig it, the Gilby versions in particular.

Reckless Life and Anything Goes go off, Rocker is just as bad as Back Off Bitch but I bet a lot of people prefer this sort of thing to Chinese Democracy.