Photography

downzy

I'm kind of starting to get into it. My boyfriend's into photography and when he upgraded a few months ago he gave me his old DSLR to get started with :) It's a Nikon D40, I can't remember what his new one is.

I'm still kind of figuring it all out but I'm getting better! Here's a little selection of some shots I'm quite pleased with.

Fz2sZQ.jpg

j2fJA6.jpg

kLhK2g.jpg

CsdSPr.jpg

IbeGFT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was informed on the weekend that one of my pictures was published in the Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper. It's an engagement shot I took for my friends who were married this past weekend. His father is an editor at the Globe so they included my picture (and gave me credit) in the wedding announcement published in this weekend's edition. I guess I can now claim to have been published in a national publication :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just got my hands on a Nikon D3000 with an 18-55mm VR II lens for 150euro.

Looking forward to getting out and about with it. Thinking of getting a 55-300mm Nikon lens next and at a later stage updating the body to the D3300.

Nice, best advice I can give you is to buy a book on photography or watch some youtube videos to learn Aperture and Manual mode.

When you're ready to move up to a new camera, I'd recommend a 5200 or 5300. You'll find you'll get more use out of the next series up rather than an iteration of your current camera.

Also, you might want to check out used versions of the 18-200mm or 18-300mm. They're very versatile and it saves you from having to swap out lenses.

• Like 1

Yeah I just looked there and I can get a 5300 for 60euro more than a 3300.

It's arguably a better camera with more features. If you keep with it, you'll eventually find that you'll want to up the ante when it comes to camera equipment. The 3300 is significantly better than the 3000, but even still, the 5xxx series allows the photographer to do more.

I started with a Nikon D50 in 2006, then bought a D7000 in 2011. This year I started a photography business and upgraded to a full-frame D610. I'm likely going to buy another camera body this year, the D750. And I just purchased this beauty a few weeks ago:

1-nna.jpg

Normally $2000, but picked it up for $1500 brand new after Christmas.

Sweet. What books/websites etc would you recommend for a beginner?

I'm interested in astrophotography, nature, landscape primarily.

I think once I am more comfortable I'll tackle portrait stuff

For learning exposure, the best book I came across was Bryan Peterson's book called "Understanding Exposure." You absolutely need to learn the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to get the most out of photography. Once you do, you'll never use the scene modes on your camera ever again. You'll have way more control and freedom to decide what you want to showcase within the frame. When i started to take photography more seriously three years ago, I also bought his book on composition, called "Learning to See Creatively." It will teach you about how to approach the various aspects of photography (form, pattern, colour, texture, etc.). Peterson writes in a very accessible manner and is great for beginners and even those who have been shooting for awhile. But it's also great to open yourself up to different authors/photographers otherwise you'll find yourself mimicking a style rather than developing your own.

The bible on landscape photography is Inner Game of Outdoor Photography by Galen Rowell, a National Geographic photographer who died in a helicopter crash a few years ago. It's very heady stuff and perhaps not as accessible to a beginner.

Websites that I visit often are 500px (sort of like flickr), Viewbug, Dpreview, and bythom (a Nikon guy who mostly talks about gear, but every few weeks throws up a teaching lesson).

if you have an iPad, I also recommend getting a subscription to N-Photo. It's a Nikon geared magazine that comes with a lot of great teaching points and reviews of gear that are applicable to Nikon shooters. Every month they have a segment where they pair an amateur with a professional on a certain style or type of photography. It can be kind of pricy (I think a year's subscription is $50), but definitely worth it for a year. I eventually canceled because I found that I wasn't learning as much as I first did when I was getting into photography, but someone like yourself it is definitely worth the expense.

• Like 1

Nice shots Angelica.

Facekicker, here's a page with some great suggestions for books on photos. The author of the page/website, Ken Rockwell, is kind of a polarizing figure in the photography industry, but his site is worth looking at from time to time:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/books.htm

I literally discovered that guy two days ago, he might not appeal to some professionals but his site is a great resource for someone starting off.

Nice shots Angelica.

Facekicker, here's a page with some great suggestions for books on photos. The author of the page/website, Ken Rockwell, is kind of a polarizing figure in the photography industry, but his site is worth looking at from time to time:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/books.htm

I literally discovered that guy two days ago, he might not appeal to some professionals but his site is a great resource for someone starting off.

Yeah, I use to visit his site when i was starting out. And unlike a lot of the camera snobs out there, he's got at putting things in perspective with respect to what's worth spending your money on. Most of the time a basic DSLR will do anyone just fine. It's when the capabilities of your camera start limiting your results should you start thinking of moving up.

I moved up to full-frame DSLR this year because I was shooting a lot of events where the lights were often dim. Having an extra stop or two that comes with a full-frame camera then became a need, not much before. The same applies to the 24-70 lens I just purchased. I was getting by with my 50mm 1.8, but I'll definitely be able to take better pictures with my 24-70mm (this isn't a guess, I rent the sense several times last year to make sure it was worth the purchase).

Oh, btw, before you buy anything else, get the 35mm 1.8 lens (the DX version). I think it's less than $200 and it is absolutely worth it. My brother borrows mine all the time because it takes a much better picture in low-light situations versus what your kit lens can take. It is the best thing you can buy right now if you want to instantly take better pictures.

• Like 1

Sweet. What books/websites etc would you recommend for a beginner?

I'm interested in astrophotography, nature, landscape primarily.

I think once I am more comfortable I'll tackle portrait stuff

Hey, I'm watching this live tutorial right now at CreativeLive: https://www.creativelive.com/live1

This is a great site to watch experts explaining the craft.

• Like 1

Hey,

So I thought I'd start a thread for all photo hobbyists or professionals who frequent the forum. Everything from showing off your latest pictures to talking about photo gear.

I started my interest in photography seven years ago but recently became more and more interested in the hobby over the last two years. I upgraded my equipment in 2011 from an old Nikon D50 I bought it in 2006 to a Nikon D7000 while investing in a bunch of different lenses. Right now my "arsenal" includes the Nikkor 18-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, and Tokina 11-16mm. I also have a Nikon SB700 Speedlight. I started to take on some paid gigs for family and friends who are looking for family/group shots of themselves and/or their kids. I also do a lot of traveling and get a lot of satisfaction from travel photography.

I'm hoping to upgrade some time next year and go full frame. Would also love to get some fast zoom lenses, like the Nikor 24-70 2.8 and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR. Would also love a proper macro lense. Eventually I'd like to shoot weddings and events when my schedule allows it, but I'm not there yet. It's something I enjoy doing regardless of the money (though the extra cash wouldn't hurt).

Here's a few of the shots I've taken over the years. Curious to see and hear from other photobugs on here.

10404626226_f6c29e7ccc.jpg10404900316_e937c8127c.jpg

10406199073_20878e7e39.jpg10406236506_52e2aa2ddc.jpg

10406428775_9c2791c0d6.jpg10407211243_41f6805b7e.jpg

10407117423_cf45cfcd45.jpg10404864543_cf56a34dd4.jpg10405246014_a06fe3ed38.jpg

Get the fuck out of here did you take those yourself, seriously?!? Thats fantastic man, how'd you get the one of the little birdie like that? Looks straight out of a magazine!