Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

I haven't watched WWE since Backlash when Jinder won the WWE Championship. That show was terrible.

I am very excited for what WrestleMania is shaping up to be this year, though.

Asuka winning the first Women's Rumble and retaining her streak is awesome news.

I also love that it's going to be AJ vs. Nakamura in the main event.

The debut of Ronda is cool. I hope she IS NOT facing Steph at Mania, but the seed was planted for this rivalry a few years ago with The Rock.

3 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

The debut of Ronda is cool. I hope she IS NOT facing Steph at Mania, but the seed was planted for this rivalry a few years ago with The Rock.

I read somewhere that Meltzer had said they're considering Ronda & a partner vs. Steph and Tripls H. Which, imo, is a horrible idea.

Just go with Ronda-Charlotte and Asuka-Bliss. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, moreblack said:

I dig it, it's kind of poetry in motion, that running ellbow to the corner looks pretty good too when she does it. 

Fun side note;

They initially told her that she couldn't do it anymore after they signed her for the May Young Classic, because Bayley already does an elbow drop. Fortunately they changed her mind.

This is from years ago, not sure how though when Stephanie invented Women's Wrestling in 2015.

Another fun fact, those girls wrestling in front of 10's of people in Japan were getting paid more in Japan than some WWE Divas/Wrestlers on TV today.

Oh and on Rousey if you don't listen to WOR;

The current plan for Ronda Rousey's WWE debut at WrestleMania looks to be a tag team match against Stephanie McMahon & Triple H.

There had been rumors all week regarding the match the company had tried to put together for WrestleMania 31 with Rousey & Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson against Stephanie & Triple H. It is unknown whether that match can be put together. Johnson hasn't' been able to wrestle a significant match due to insurance reasons regarding movies he has agreed to do that have kept him from wrestling at last few WrestleMania shows, aside from the few second match with Erick Rowan in 2016.

The announcement of Rousey's signing, which had been known for some time since she had been training since last summer for pro wrestling, is a huge move given the company's television contract is coming due and Rousey is a gigantic mainstream name. Whether or not she has long-term drawing potential past the curiosity of some early matches, her being part of the roster with her name value as a woman's star should increase the value of the company's programming since they have announced she will be there as a full-timer for several years.

Sourcehttps://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/update-ronda-rouseys-wwe-wrestlemania-34-plans-250741

Also on NJPW, the tickets for Long Beach went on sale today. They sold out in 20 minutes, they really should be running bigger than 5K + arenas. 

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The current plan for Ronda Rousey's WWE debut at WrestleMania looks to be a tag team match against Stephanie McMahon & Triple H.

That's a horrible plan. Mixed tag matches in WWE are alwways horrible. Sounds like a waste of Rousey's debut. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, username said:

That's a horrible plan. Mixed tag matches in WWE are alwways horrible. Sounds like a waste of Rousey's debut. 

Horrible?

Rousey would be in the Wrestle Mainia event against WWE's biggest female star, Stephanie McMahon 7 hours into the show and probably 5 hours after A.J./Nakamura had a 14 minute opener...

Spoiler

Just joking, but there is a danger it would happen.

• Like 1

WWE programming is balls. When they re-introduced the Women's Division and started using guys like Owens, I was hyped. Poor writing and decision making was back in a hot minute and I had to give up on the only show(s) I've watched steady since 1998.

It hurts even more that I have been training to get into the business, but cannot watch the biggest company in it.

I hope that one day we get to see some REAL competition again, like the last time WWE didn't rule the wrestling world.

3 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

WWE programming is balls. When they re-introduced the Women's Division and started using guys like Owens, I was hyped. Poor writing and decision making was back in a hot minute and I had to give up on the only show(s) I've watched steady since 1998.

It hurts even more that I have been training to get into the business, but cannot watch the biggest company in it.

I hope that one day we get to see some REAL competition again, like the last time WWE didn't rule the wrestling world.

I completely agree with you.They can bring in every star from Japan,UFC or wherever and it won't make a difference due to poor writing and shit booking.

At this point the only thing that they have left that appeals to their former audience ( which is the majority of us now) is nostalgia, and after the RAW 25 show it's evident that they can't even do that properly anymore...

So... I guess Mania is shaping up... Based on the rumors it'd be something like 

Spoiler

Styles vs Nakamura (WWE title)

Brock vs Roman (Uni title)

Miz vs Braun (IC title)

Bliss (or maybe Sasha) vs Asuka (women's title)  

HHH & Steph vs either The Rock or Angle & Ronda Rousey

Taker vs Cena

Roode vs ??? (US title)

Charlotte vs ??? (women's title) 

Bar vs Club or Revival (tag titles)

Uso's vs New Day or Rusev Day (tag titles)

Probably something like a cruiserweight ladder match or battle royal to crown a new champ

And maybe something like Seth vs Jason Jordan? 

Then probably another women's match on the pre-show... Maybe they'll get a woman's variation of the Andre battle royal?

And they'll squeeze Balor, KO and Sami in there somewhere too. 

And I've read a Shane vs Bryan rumor. Which seems like a waste of a Bryan return. 

Everybody else for the Andre battle royal... 

Edited by username

4 hours ago, username said:

So... I guess Mania is shaping up... Based on the rumors it'd be something like 

Hide contents

Styles vs Nakamura (WWE title)

Brock vs Roman (Uni title)

Miz vs Braun (IC title)

Alexa Bliss vs Nia Jax (women's title)  

HHH & Steph vs The Rock & Ronda Rousey

Taker vs Cena

Charlotte vs Asuka (women's title) 

Changed things around slightly. That's what rumored on the Observer board, although obviously The Rock bit is fairly doubtful.

I really think Bryan's gone after the summer and as much as I love Taker... it is time to pack it in.

Important to keep in mind that WWE don't do booking a year in advance, most of the undercard will be thrown together a few weeks beforehand or at the last minute.

Edited by AtariLegend

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

It was time after the 2 HHH Mania matches. 

The Punk match wasn't that bad. I think he should have retired after the Lesnar match, concussion or not.

The streak should have been the end of the story imo. Also don't like the idea of the Triple H match being the last since it only happened, because Triple H felt he needed a big match.

Maybe Taker should have wrestled Cena for 20-0 instead, at that mania 5 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Who's going to beat Okada?

No idea. 

The assumption is Naito will still do it eventually, but I think they should have done it last month if they that was going to happen.

He needs 2 defenses at least to break the Title defense record. He's facing Ospreay at the Anniversary Show in a non title match. He's entering the New Japan Cup as champion, which I wouldn't be shocked if he won it. Sakura Genesis is the week after Long Beach (which Rey Mysterio will be at). Then I'd imagine he'd break the record at Wrestling Dontaku in May or Dominion. If he makes it past Dominion, then since the G-1 starts the month after I doubt Okada's losing it till Wrestle Kingdom next year. Best guess is the winner of G-1 this year takes it at Wrestle Kingdom 13.

Wasn't too fond of today's show btw. Would only go out of the way to watch Takahashi/Ospreay and Sanada/Okada if you haven't watched it live.

Edited by AtariLegend
Spelling correction

12 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

No idea. 

The assumption is Naito will still do it eventually, but I think they should have done it last month if they that was going to happen.

Wasn't too found of today's show btw. Would only go out of the way to watch Takahashi/Ospreay and Sanada/Okada if you haven't watched it live.

I'd like to see White versus Okada.

I don't know what disappointed me more; Naito's loss at WrestleKingdom or that the match itself wasn't seven stars.

Takahashi versus Ospreay was match of the night for me.

Sanada versus Okada got going towards the end.

23 hours ago, axlslash said:

My bold prediction: Tanahashi returns vs Okada at Dominion, Okada goes over to break Tana's record. White wins the G1, and full-on turns on Chaos building to WK13. 

Dominion's in June isn't it?

Tanahashi wins the New Japan Cup? Faces Okada at Sakura Genesis in April?

Okada "legitimately injures" Tanahashi to break the record and turn heel?

I'm looking forward to Honor Rising.

Something's going to happen at Strong Style Evolved.

• 4 weeks later...

Watching RAW for the first time in some time. The commentary is just SO bloody awful. OMG SOMEBODY DROPPED SOMEBODY THIS MUST BE IT!!!!! Fucks sake... I like near falls, but not every time someone falls down. I kinda hoped it'd gotten better with JBL gone and coach back. But nah... 

Edited by username

I played one of the WWE2k games for the first time on PSNow. So bad, gameplay worse than N64 games in 1999 and graphics from a decade ago. 

The commentary was also shockingly bad, but the most realistic thing was they kept burying Bryan Danielson for being a losser and his appearance. With the obnoxious mentions of the Yes Movement, when they tried to brand Bryan. I'm conviced they were trying to turn him heel.

Only 6 people in the ring at once too, was mind boggling for a game this decade. At least the shity half-baked game suits the company.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:35 AM, luciusfunk said:

2K18 allows eight people now. 

Honestly, never going to play... but for 2018? Still seems silly.

Just read that this years WWE hall of fame class includes Ivory (completely fucking random if you lived through the Attitude era), Jeff Jarret (who outside of TNA is infamous for being mid-card for life and a disaster as WCW champion in the Russo era), Hillbilly Jim who was famous for being awful and Kid Rock (because why not?).

Does this mean they'll induct Fred Durst too?

Personally I'm hoping Headbanger Mosh gets in next year, just to read their article on his legendary career. Why not Missy Kitty too?

Edited by AtariLegend

15 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Honestly, never going to play... but for 2018? Still seems silly.

Just read that this years WWE hall of fame class includes Ivory (completely fucking random if you lived through the Attitude era), Jeff Jarret (who outside of TNA is infamous for being mid-card for life and a disaster as WCW champion in the Russo era), Hillbilly Jim who was famous for being awful and Kid Rock (because why not?).

Does this mean they'll induct Fred Durst too?

Personally I'm hoping Headbanger Mosh gets in next year, just to read their article on his legendary career. Why not Missy Kitty too?

At this rate they might as well start inducting fans. I vote for this guy:

shocked_undertaker_guy-0.jpg?w=1000&h=60