E3 - 2017

downzy

This Xbox conference has been dreadful so far. We've seen the same Battlefield trailer three times now, Gears has horrendous voice acting and looks like absolutely nothing new. The Slim is good though, $299 is a good price tag and it looks nice. 4K video, but not 4k gaming. Correct me though, they've announced Xbox Play Anywhere, so all Xbox exclusives are now available on PC? So, why the fuck would I want an Xbox then? Seems somewhat of a "YEAH BUY THIS NEW XBOX! ALSO YOU NO LONGER NEED AN XBOX FOR XBOX GAMES". Hoping they're bringing something cool in the second half, because this has been very dull.

Inside, from the guys behind Limbo, I'm in. Likewise for We Happy Few. Neither exclusive. That's not much for an hour, but they look great. Along with the Xbox One S, even though I won't be buying.

Edited by Conor

2 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

I liked the fact that nearly every game shown actually showed gameplay. Best conference so far

also Project Scorpio was announced and will supposedly be the most powerful gaming console ever, by a lot. We'll have to see what Sony does to compete with that

Sony have already announced a high-end version of the PS4. I agree on the gameplay front, I just found it a shame that very few of those games excited me. EA was garbage, Bethesda was fine, Xbox was well-paced but also delivered somewhat of a deterring message about buying an Xbox, especially with Scorpio. Why fork out for Scorpio if you can achieve all of those things, for the same price, and play the exact same games, on PC? Kind'a weird to me. This extends to Sony, but I think it's a fuckin' joke that four years into this generation's lifecycle that we're opening and closing conferences with new hardware. One S is good though for anyone who has yet to join this generation.

1 minute ago, Conor said:

Sony have already announced a high-end version of the PS4. I agree on the gameplay front, I just found it a shame that very few of those games excited me. EA was garbage, Bethesda was fine, Xbox was well-paced but also delivered somewhat of a deterring message about buying an Xbox, especially with Scorpio. Why fork out for Scorpio if you can achieve all of those things, for the same price, and play the exact same games, on PC? Kind'a weird to me. This extends to Sony, but I think it's a fuckin' joke that four years into this generation's lifecycle that we're opening and closing conferences with new hardware. One S is good though for anyone who has yet to join this generation.

A lot of people, myself included, do not have gaming PCs.  

I was initially tempted by the Xbox One S, as I haven't yet dived into the current console generation, but at this point, I might as well wait and see what this Scorpio model has under the hood and how it will be priced.  I think there's a market for people who want better guts in their console and willing to pay more often to get it.  it's not as though those who bought an Xbox One two years ago won't be able to play games that are compatible with Scorpio.  It would seem Microsoft and Sony are attempting to replicate the smartphone business model.  I still rock an iPhone 4S and it works fine for me, but there are others who need a new phone every year.  

33 minutes ago, downzy said:

A lot of people, myself included, do not have gaming PCs.  

I was initially tempted by the Xbox One S, as I haven't yet dived into the current console generation, but at this point, I might as well wait and see what this Scorpio model has under the hood and how it will be priced.  I think there's a market for people who want better guts in their console and willing to pay more often to get it.  it's not as though those who bought an Xbox One two years ago won't be able to play games that are compatible with Scorpio.  It would seem Microsoft and Sony are attempting to replicate the smartphone business model.  I still rock an iPhone 4S and it works fine for me, but there are others who need a new phone every year.  

For sure, and neither do I. That's kind of my point with them banging on about Xbox One & Windows 10 Exclusive, why would I buy an Xbox over a PC now? Maybe for the slim/base model, but surely there's no point in buying into Project Scorpio, or Sony's Project Neo? Similarly, I'm not sure that many people even have a 4K television yet. 

I think if you've not yet dived into the generation, the Xbox One S is your best shout, bar a PS4 Slim or price drop for XBO/PS4. Another year and a half down the line to buy the highest spec possible at a fairly high price? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of waiting for prices to drop and everything else? I'm glad they've certainly made clear that your old machines aren't now useless, and that this is just for those who want the absolute most power, that's fine. I'm not so sure it's replicating the smartphone business, as much as preparing everything for VR, since they're really throwing themselves at that. As you said earlier, the slim versions are nothing too unusual, and we'll still see a new generation in the next five years. It might well set a precedent for baseline version, slim version, and upgradable high-spec version going forward though.

The overall impression I got from that though was Xbox almost pulling out of the 'console war', merging themselves with PC gamers and just going with that, making the Xbox a cheaper alternative to a gaming PC. And I like that, I think that works for a lot of people. I think the whole merging online communities is also good thing, but I certainly don't care about being to play with those on PC, because nobody I know plays games I want to play online on a PC. XBO and PS4 though, I'd be a lot more excited, and hope to be. 

Conference as a whole was very well done and paced for the most part, but in terms of the quality of content, the only real positives I take from that personal are Xbox One S even though I'll never buy it, Sea of Thieves as the only game this generation so far I'm disappointed I won't get to play, and We Happy Few which looks super cool. There were some other fine things, but they didn't show enough to get me excited yet, and some real duds. 

On a side note, that fucking Battlefield trailer has been shown three times already, that's inexcusable :lol: 

Edited by Conor

3 minutes ago, Conor said:

For sure, and neither do I. That's kind of my point with them banging on about Xbox One & Windows 10 Exclusive, why would I buy an Xbox over a PC now? Maybe for the slim/base model, but surely there's no point in buying into Project Scorpio, or Sony's Project Neo? Similarly, I'm not sure that many people even have a 4K television yet. 

I think if you've not yet dived into the generation, the Xbox One S is your best shout, bar a PS4 Slim or price drop for XBO/PS4. Another year and a half down the line to buy the highest spec possible at a fairly high price? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of waiting for prices to drop and everything else? I'm glad they've certainly made clear that your old machines aren't now useless, and that this is just for those who want the absolute most power, that's fine. I'm not so sure it's replicating the smartphone business, as much as preparing everything for VR, since they're really throwing themselves at that. As you said earlier, the slim versions are nothing too unusual, and we'll still see a new generation in the next five years. It might well set a precedent for baseline version, slim version, and upgradable high-spec version going forward though.

The overall impression I got from that though was Xbox almost pulling out of the 'console war', merging themselves with PC gamers and just going with that, making the Xbox a cheaper alternative to a gaming PC. And I like that, I think that works for a lot of people. I think the whole merging online communities is also good thing, but I certainly don't care about being to play with those on PC, because nobody I know plays games I want to play online on a PC. XBO and PS4 though, I'd be a lot more excited, and hope to be. 

You would buy an Xbox One over a PC because an Xbox One costs $300 and takes less effort to operate.

To be honest with you, I've been looking at some of the Alien products and Steam boxes as an alternative to buying a new console.  But Microsoft's announcement that they'll be releasing something similar now has me deciding to wait and see what's under the hood.  

I think you're making the assumption that all games are monolithic, that they're exactly like you and share similar wants and desires when it comes to their gaming tastes.  I've held off from buying a new console for a variety of reasons; a) still have plenty of games on my Xbox 360 that I have to finish, b) lack of time, c) by waiting later to enter into the current generation, I'll be able to buy the best games at far cheaper prices than at launch.  The possibility of buying an even more powerful console that will take advantage of 4K gaming (as I will be buying a high-end 4K television later this year) is very appealing to me and likely many others who system costs aren't that big of deal.  If I can buy a system that is exponentially more powerful than that's available now and allow me to somewhat future proof going forward, I'll drop $600-$800 on such a system.  That might not make sense to you, but it does to me and likely many others.

I'm just surprised that someone who will have waited five years to jump into the current generation would want the highest-spec state-of-the-art system, I would've thought you'd have been all over the Xbox One S as a cheap yet updated alternative and optimum chance to jump in. As you say, it doesn't make sense to me, but if it makes sense to you, more power to you (pun intended). Also, that Scorpio announcement is nothing new, Sony announced Project Neo a couple of months ago, and we knew Microsoft were working on something very similar.

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

I'm just surprised that someone who will have waited five years to jump into the current generation would want the highest-spec state-of-the-art system, I would've thought you'd have been all over the Xbox One S as a cheap yet updated alternative and optimum chance to jump in. As you say, it doesn't make sense to me, but if it makes sense to you, more power to you (pun intended). Also, that Scorpio announcement is nothing new, Sony announced Project Neo a couple of months ago, and we knew Microsoft were working on something very similar.

Well, with cloud gaming on the horizon, there's a lot of talk that this might be the last generation for console platforms.  At the very least, we could see Microsoft and Sony use the same platform and release more powerful versions every two or three years, but owners of older models still being able to play new games (to a point).  Again, very similar to what happens with smartphones, with most people upgrading after two or three years (and let's keep in mind that smartphones cost almost twice as much as current gaming consoles).  Perhaps I buy a Scorpio model but skip the next console upgrade (again, assuming subsequent games play on both systems).  I think consoles become less generational and more iterative.  That makes a lot of sense from a development/cost standpoint both for console and software makers.  The biggest issue with new console generations is that game designers have to learn an entire new platform.  But if console makers take an iterative approach where the platform stays the same but the technology improves, it would greatly help reduce the learning curve and development costs.  

• Like 1

Ubisoft did really well, much better than expected. Ghost Recon can fuck right off, but Watch Dogs 2 looks great, South Park looks great, Steep looks great and always welcome a new IP, For Honour looks super good, and I always love instantly dropped games. Off to download Trials of Blood Dragon immediately!

Edited by Conor

4 hours ago, downzy said:

You would buy an Xbox One over a PC because an Xbox One costs $300

Update on this, bit sneaky on Microsoft's part. They advertised it as 2TB at $299 as far as I remember. That's actually for the 500GB version, 1TB is $349, 2TB is at $399. Just to clarify for anyone.

Well, E3 was a bit boring until Sony's conference. And I have an Xbox. Microsoft got murdered.

I'm still excited for Gears 4 and I like Ubisoft's change of pace with Steep, but the rest was boring crap until Sony showed up.

Ok, I'm a casual gamer these days due to lack of time, what's all this Xbox one s and ps4 k? Is my ps4 going to be as much use as a brick in the near future? 

Ive tried sitting through vids on ign and asking them on there, but I think they just dismiss me as a girl gamer who doesn't get it, they right :D 

Was kingdom hearts 3 mentioned at all? I can't sift through all that battlefield/for honour hype on the main sites. 

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Ok, I'm a casual gamer these days due to lack of time, what's all this Xbox one s and ps4 k? Is my ps4 going to be as much use as a brick in the near future? 

Ive tried sitting through vids on ign and asking them on there, but I think they just dismiss me as a girl gamer who doesn't get it, they right :D 

Was kingdom hearts 3 mentioned at all? I can't sift through all that battlefield/for honour hype on the main sites. 

Kingdom Hearts 3 wasn't mentioned, but it's expected at Playstation Experience later in the year. The Xbox One S is the slimline version of the Xbox One (similar to the Xbox 360 Elite), while Project Scorpio and Project Neo/PS4K was the higher-spec versions of the Xbox One and PS4 that are expected to be released by the end of the next year, that will support 4K Gaming and so on, but won't have exclusive games or anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conor said:

Kingdom Hearts 3 wasn't mentioned, but it's expected at Playstation Experience later in the year. The Xbox One S is the slimline version of the Xbox One (similar to the Xbox 360 Elite), while Project Scorpio and Project Neo/PS4K was the higher-spec versions of the Xbox One and PS4 that are expected to be released by the end of the next year, that will support 4K Gaming and so on, but won't have exclusive games or anything.

Thank you! So, nothing to worry about then unless I want a higher spec model. I've had KH3 on pre order since forever lol. It's been interseting sifting through all the other stuff coming out soon, I feel these new games are fully going to make use of the current gen power. I got the new Ratchet And Clank the other day, was hoping they'd do a new Jak game, doesn't look likely though. Will be getting For Honour,  looking at the gameplay, it looks really good. 

- I thought the only great conference was Sony's. EA's, Bethesda's, and the PC Gaming Show were dreadful. Microsoft's was okay I guess.

- I'm shocked at how good the new Call of Duty was. I had no clue it was actually Call of Duty until like 3/4 of the way through what they showed. It looked like they're actually trying with that franchise for the first time in years. What I especially like is that the gun gameplay is still unmistakably Call of Duty, but there's just so much going on that it looks like an entirely different game. A better one, at that.

- The other shocker at these conferences was the Resident Evil VII reveal. I don't think anyone knew what that game was until the title showed up at the end of the bit they showed. Fans of survival horror games should be hyped, though as of now we don't know a ton about the game.

- I was really surprised to see Hideo Kojima make an appearance. I thought for sure any reference to his new project would take years. His new studio isn't even a year old at this point.

- The new God of War looks fantastic. I'm not a big fan of super violent button mashing beat 'em up games. This looks like a great change in direction for the franchise if this is a reboot, or even if it's a distant sequel.

- Horizon: Zero Dawn still looks really good. Kind of disappointed that it's not coming out until February, but it looks great and I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

- I'm really glad that most of the Xbox One games were announced to be playable on Windows 10. The only Xbox exclusive I'm really looking forward to is Scalebound, but it's nice to know I won't have to drop money on a new console just for that.

- Actually looking forward to the Crash Bandicoot remasters. I love those games.

- The new Legend of Zelda looks amazing. I was really worried about it being open world, but it looks pretty great. It looks like you can do so much in this world. There are tons of mini-dungeons. I think my main worry right now is that the world will feel empty, but with so many mini-dungeons hopefully it won't be an issue. The art style and graphics both look amazing. I love the little signs of actual life that the enemies leave behind. It's a pretty small thing at the end of the day, but it goes a long way in making the world feel more alive. I do think the game should have some semblance of a structured narrative, but we'll have to wait and see. I also like how you have access to most weapon types from the start and that the unlockable weapons seem to be more intricate designs. It never really did make sense that you had to wait so long to have access to a weapon as simple as a bow and arrow. But yeah the game looks great. I'm still slightly worried as open world games have never been my favorite, but the early look has been pretty reassuring.

• Like 1

Zelda surpassed my expectations which were high as fuck. Sony showed amazing and fun looking games. Microsoft is doing some sensible things, showed some cool looking games as well.

All in all, a great E3 with some non standard E3 moments and many surprises. VR and the new XBOX Scorpio. I'd say Sony nailed it.

Horizon Zero Dawn I can't wait.

Edited by Rovim

There's a rumour going around that Red Dead Redemption 2 was suppose to close Sony's conference but was nixed at the last minute.  Apparently it had a saloon shoot up scene and it was felt it might not gel with the recent tragic shooting in Orlando.  Understandable, but this was the only game I was looking forward to hearing about :(

That Zelda looks really shitty so far, it looks like a generic wrpg with some added assassin's creed climbing mechanics and a Zelda skin, there's nothing in what I saw so far, including various gameplay footages, that makes me say "oh, yeah, that's Zelda alright". Well, Doom 4 looked really crappy and slow on its first teaser and turned out to be a good. though fogettable, game, so this might end up being good.

I don't know there's something missing in it. I would remove the food/ hunting all along thing and keep the piece of/ heart contaier as the only way to increase your health, firstly because it looks gimmicky, second cuz it just adds unnecessary burocracy to it, no need to slow a Zelda game. The weapon system could go as well, especially the durabillity part, I mean, really? Having to repair your weapon will just make it slow and, again, will add useless burocracy to something that begs to be straightforward. Also, NO companions. Fuck this trend, every game now has to have some dipshit following you around and getting stuck AND killed. Just no. Finally, since it is trying to ripoff skyrim in every aspect, it, so far, seems to rely on elevator music as its soundtrack instead of having memorable tunes like the older games. Nothing goes better with a slow paced game than a soothing naptime song.