The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

If anyone ever has time when they visit New Orleans, they should rent a car and go tour Avery Island (a salt dome). It is where the Tabasco company is. There is a tour, store, restaurant and a nature area. Lots of different types of Tabasco that we can’t get here in Canada. The amount of hot sauces my 17 year old goes through is unreal.

• GNFNR 1

Man, I ate one of those frozen diners; a Swanson Penne Primavera.  Im sorry, I don't get how people eat this stuff?  No taste and the most off-putting texture.  Thought it would be a nice treat to not have to cook but this was no treat.  And it takes like 50 minutes to cook.  

So I doused it with hot sauce. Then I woke up with indigestion at 3:30am.  Probably the high sugar content doesn't help either.

I'm sure there are plenty of tasty frozen meals out there.  I like those crusty topped mac and cheese.  But I often hear people say its cheaper to eat these frozen tray meals and Id have to say that in this case thats definitely not true.  There was maybe 1.5 Tbsp of sauce.  And that includes the 7-10 tiny slivers of veggies.  One could buy one red pepper and a head of broccoli and have it last a year making a similar dish on a regular basis.  Plus cooking stove top for 15 minutes versus in the oven for 45 minutes has to add up on the hydro bill.

18 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I cooked a stew and stirred it with one of those rubber icing spatula things and have just realised the corner broke off in the pot. Am I going to get sick and die?

Can't you fish the broken piece out?  Or did it melt into your stew?  If it melted, I would probably not eat it.

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I ate some before realising but I'm 99% sure I didn't eat the piece, most of the stew is still in the pot. I doubt it melted but I also don't want to eat it, even if it is a small bit from the corner. It will take ages to fish out honestly I might just throw it all out. 

That sucks.  Thats what I would do to.  All the hopes and dreams we pour into a stew, and then this happens.  Frustrating.

PS: share the recipe!

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I cooked a stew and stirred it with one of those rubber icing spatula things and have just realised the corner broke off in the pot. Am I going to get sick and die?

Nah, just like a kid who swallows a penny it will all come out in the end...........:lol:

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's nothing impressive you guys would be interested in just a basic fish stew

It was basically this+udon noodles and green beans:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4666/superquick-fish-curry

Thanks!  Ive actually never had a fish stew.  Sounds delicious, especially with the udon.  I had intended to learn how to cook fish so the timing is perfect!

I dont believe Ive ever posted anything impressive on here, and would say that this fish stew is impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

And here is my homemade garlic and tomato soup that I make for all the family, good in the winter (which seems to be extending into the summer in Britain right now!). Good for illnesses also I feel, packing the garlic and herbage into you.

Prep

- finely dice 25-40 cloves of garlic to taste (yes, you read that right, ''40'' - this is a thoroughly Frenchified recipe). 

- roughly chop 1-2 onions.

- halve two big roasting potatoes and 1-2 carrots

- prepare a bouquet garni of 1-2 bay leaves and 2-3 sprigs of thyme (I confess I skip this and just throw them in the pot; my excuse is that it is a ''rustic'' soup haha).

Recipe

1/ Saute the onion in olive oil for about 2-3 mins on medium heat, then add the garlic and saute for a further minute or so, making sure to not burn the garlic.

2/ In a big stock pot, add 3-4 tinned tomatoes. Add the above onions/garlic. Add the potatoes and carrots. Fill up with chicken or beef stock (preferably real). Add lots and lots of black pepper, one table spoon of brown sugar, lots of either fresh basil or fresh oregano (if you haven't got fresh, dried can be substituted but only add a bit - say, a tablespoon). Stir well. Place the bouquet garni on top if you have bothered to make it - if not, just chuck the bay leaves and thyme sprigs in. 

3/ Bring to the boil then simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring midway through.

4/ Blitz with a blender, making especially sure you blitz the potatoes (your thickening agent) and carrots. You might want to fish around and remove the Bay and Thyme if you haven't made a bouquet garni before blitzing.

5/ Bob's your uncle. You could add some chopped parsley to the top of each bowl if you are serving it in individual bowls. Serve with good bread - not your Warburton's shite. A good quality French baguette is the perfect accompaniment.

By all means experiment with this soup. I have recently started adding diced spinach just a minute towards the end of cooking time. Once blitzed it is completely incorporated and merely looks like a herb. It is a great way to get this relatively tasteless but extremely healthy vegetable into your system. Fresh tomatoes are welcome and can be substituted for the tinned, but I'd probably always make sure I have at least two of the tinned variety so you get that puree. 

I have been making batches of this so the family can withstand the beasties from the easties. Perfect winter soup. It freezes well also. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

@DieselDaisy Soup sounds delicious.  A fellow garlic lover I see.  And I like the idea of fighting viruses with food.  Gonna try this out for sure.  Peeling 40 garlic is the only barrier - might pick up a package of pre-peeled from the Asian grocer.  This potato technique is new to me and well appreciated.

Update: I made this and its really good.  Will be a mainstay for me.  I went to get some fresh rosemary to try for the herb and the store was out so I tried fresh summer savoury and really liked how that turned out.

Edited by soon

Homemade Hot Tamales With Salsa Verde 

Tamales dont really ever photograph well, but wish I'd had some crumbly coiijta cheese and some cilantro to jazz it up.

jE28n9hl.jpg?1

Tamales are soft doughy pockets filled with things like meat or cheese.  Tamale's dough, like tortilla, is made from masa which is the pulp of dent corn/feild corn.  I grew some bloody butcher corn, dried it, pulled it off the cobs, and then soaked the kernels in hot water with caustic soda to remove the hard outer shell.  But you can buy dried masa that you just need to rehydrate with chicken stock and lard.  I actually added a touch of lard for flavour anyways.

Heres how my fresh masa with a bit of lard looked:

a7DeiVnl.jpg

Tamales are cooked wrapped in corn husks.  I was sure to keep the husks large when I removed and dried them at harvest. You can buy them too and in both cases you rehydrate in hot water.  Then the filled and wrapped tamales are steamed for 40 minutes.  Use a strip of rehydrated husk to tie them shut.  They are rolled so that the filing is completely enclosed in a pocket.

I filled mine with pulled chicken in a hot bbq sauce that I made from my garden tomatoes, cayenne, paprika, basil and other store bought stuff.

I've closed captioned some photos so page doesn't run slow:

Spoiler

2ung2M2l.jpg  MlbaK01l.jpg?1

Amf14Bql.jpg  jQ6Tanpl.jpg

After steaming for 45-45 minutes the pockets should stay closed, concealing the filling, when unwrapped from husks.  They should have these tell tale lines imprinted from the husks:

ljUPomql.jpg

Far from perfect, but Im happy with it!

While they are steaming I made my salsa verde with tomatillos I grew.

ctVusZpl.jpg

Its cooked boiled and simmered in water and then blended.  This one is very basic, with just cumin and cayenne in addition to onion, garlic and tomatillos.

My hot tamales may not look like much but it's so unbelievable tasty.  Most of this meals ingredients came from what was an unkept field and the produce was dried and canned in my apartment:

Spoiler

fHOnSprm.jpg KbvO9s0m.jpg kWZVxKMm.jpg tUiW7Dum.jpg 3h9EOpxm.jpg ImTIfVMm.jpgY1GKV1Mm.jpg

xuBCxzzm.jpg jE28n9hm.jpg?1

The dent corn grew to 13 feet!  It's kernels are yellow when harvested and are hung to dry indoors where they turn to orange and red then purple.

It was a two day process (if not 8-14 months long process) where I slow cooked the full chicken and pulled it in my bbq sauce the first day.  Then processed the corn, wrapped and steamed them while making sales verde on day two.  My bowl made over 40 tamales, so cooking took a while.  Freezers full and I'll be grateful later:)

Tamale Recipe: Heres a link for making tamales with all the steps and a couple recipe options for the fillings.  

Salsa Verde Recipe: it can be made with so many flavours, just needs the tomatillos, heres a basic version.

BBQ Sauce Recipe: For the hot bbq sauce I put ketchup, prepared mustard, apple cider vinegar, dried basil blend, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, maple smoked sea salt, pepper, sriracha and prolly other stuff in a sauce pan, brought it to a gentle boil and reduced to a simmer until it had taste and viscosity I wanted (bbq sauce is anything you want cooked down together. One could thicken with a corn starch slurry if desired). 

This was so delicious.  Highly recommended.  So much better when its fresh corn flavour!

Edited by soon

• 2 weeks later...

@soon you're from Ontario right? Have you tried any Dawson's Hot Sauces? (They're from Hamilton). Their 'sweet pear chili' sauce is pretty good, and the Sichuan ghost pepper sauce is really good, but it's a creeper; after a few seconds you'll be thinking 'this is a damn good sauce', and after a minute the mouth-fire is in full effect :lol: Did you ever end up trying Karma sauce btw?

I've been on bit of a hot sauce buying spree lately, I got 4 different Dawson's sauces (the ones I mentioned, 'original hot' (habanero) and 'ghost pepper mash'), some other novelty sauces like 'the hottest fuckin sauce', and am waiting for another bottle of Hot Ones sauce and the 'scorpion pepper edition' of the Last Dab.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@soon you're from Ontario right? Have you tried any Dawson's Hot Sauces? (They're from Hamilton). Their 'sweet pear chili' sauce is pretty good, and the Sichuan ghost pepper sauce is really good, but it's a creeper; after a few seconds you'll be thinking 'this is a damn good sauce', and after a minute the mouth-fire is in full effect :lol: Did you ever end up trying Karma sauce btw?

I've been on bit of a hot sauce buying spree lately, I got 4 different Dawson's sauces (the ones I mentioned, 'original hot' (habanero) and 'ghost pepper mash'), some other novelty sauces like 'the hottest fuckin sauce', and am waiting for another bottle of Hot Ones sauce and the 'scorpion pepper edition' of the Last Dab.

Yeah, Im in Ontario and love Hamilton.  Haven't been in too long.  I havent tried that though. Thanks for letting me know about those; sound great!  The name sounds familiar, is Dawsons one of the season 5 sauces?  Maybe Ive just heard people talk about it.  Sweet Pear Chilli sounds good even though I cant imagine what it would taste like.  Would be neat if the pears were charred.

Sadly my Karma purchase keeps getting bumped from the budget.  Top of the list though. 

A neighbour brought me a home made hot sauce a 'kill your tongue' kinda thing.  I opened it an took a lil pinky dab right infront of him to be polite and it burned well and good.  But then.  Then I made a complete rookie move and moments later when he left: I took a piss :scared:.  Oh now that was a burn :lol:

Let me know how the newest ones are when you get them  Once my garden is all set I will have disposable income again and look forward to checking out some of these.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah, Im in Ontario and love Hamilton.  Haven't been in too long.  I havent tried that though. Thanks for letting me know about those; sound great!  The name sounds familiar, is Dawsons one of the season 5 sauces?  Maybe Ive just heard people talk about it.  Sweet Pear Chilli sounds good even though I cant imagine what it would taste like.  Would be neat if the pears were charred.

Sadly my Karma purchase keeps getting bumped from the budget.  Top of the list though. 

A neighbour brought me a home made hot sauce a 'kill your tongue' kinda thing.  I opened it an took a lil pinky dab right infront of him to be polite and it burned well and good.  But then.  Then I made a complete rookie move and moments later when he left: I took a piss :scared:.  Oh now that was a burn :lol:

Let me know how the newest ones are when you get them  Once my garden is all set I will have disposable income again and look forward to checking out some of these.

Yea, the Dawson's Original Hot (Habanero) is on this season of Hot Ones. That's honestly my least favourite of their sauces that I've tried though. The Sweet Pear Chili is a bit odd in taste and texture, it's made from pears, vinegar, chili peppers, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lime, and salt. It's a good sauce, not too hot, but has a nice kick. The Ghost Pepper Mash is pretty good, if you're a fan of ghost peppers... :lol: But my favourite is the Sichuan Ghost Pepper sauce, it's the kind of sauce that I want to keep eating because it's so good, but I have to take breaks because it gets too hot :lol:

Sorry to hear about that rookie mistake :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks, that was not pleasant :lol:.  I thought I might need to call for help... glad I waited it out.

Good for Dawsons - Hamilton has a very hot sauce vibe no that I think of it. Olive oil and pear puree does sound odd for texture.  Still intriguing though.  Im not sure I really have wrapped my mind around ghost peppers.  Had them a few times - pretty sure one was from my neighbour - but I dont know how they and I get along yet.  And I dont know their characteristics very well.

Haha, so with the Sichuan youre sitting there fuming, breathing heavy but just dying for your next bite :lol:.  Thats awesome!

(I did read your post last night and tried to respond, but I have the best indica Ive ever consumed currently and could not make sense of my own attempts at replies.:lol:)

4 hours ago, soon said:

Good for Dawsons - Hamilton has a very hot sauce vibe no that I think of it. Olive oil and pear puree does sound odd for texture.  Still intriguing though.  Im not sure I really have wrapped my mind around ghost peppers.  Had them a few times - pretty sure one was from my neighbour - but I dont know how they and I get along yet.  And I dont know their characteristics very well.

I suck at describing tastes and stuff but with peppers (or some hot sauces), it's basically either a 'good pepper taste' or 'bad pepper taste' :lol:

Haha, so with the Sichuan youre sitting there fuming, breathing heavy but just dying for your next bite :lol:.  Thats awesome!

Pretty much, yea :lol:

(I did read your post last night and tried to respond, but I have the best indica Ive ever consumed currently and could not make sense of my own attempts at replies.:lol:)

What's the strain? :devilshades:

35 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I suck at describing tastes and stuff but with peppers (or some hot sauces), it's basically either a 'good pepper taste' or 'bad pepper taste' :lol:

What's the strain? :devilshades:

I can understand that completely. :lol:

As for strain, in this case I just texted "bring me your most intense indica" and he brought me this.  Its not at all showy to see, but its really doing well for me.  I just asked him and he said he thinks he might have brought Hash Plant.  Ive had that before, somewhat frequently during some eras of life even.  But it's never done so well for me. Actually its said to be a West Coast crossover with NLs, so maybe it hangs around youre neighbourhood?  Do you figure this is Hash Plant?  Im not sure.

TeXyWKrh.jpg

Spoiler

DAcArGXh.jpg

jW1gGkGh.jpg

Edited by soon

20 minutes ago, soon said:

I can understand that completely. :lol:

As for strain, in this case I just texted "bring me your most intense indica" and he brought the this.  Its not at all showy to see, but its really doing well for me.  I just asked him and he said he thinks he might have brought Hash Plant.  Ive had that before, somewhat frequently during in some eras of life even.  But its never done so well for me. Actually its said to be a West Coast crossover with NLs, so maybe it hangs around youre neighbourhood?  Do you figure this is Hash Plant?  Im not sure.

TeXyWKrh.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

DAcArGXh.jpg

jW1gGkGh.jpg

I can't really tell from pictures. It could be hash plant, or could be something like maybe God bud, or just OG kush depending on the grower. The last pic kinda reminds me of Romulan, but that's probably not what it is...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I can't really tell from pictures. It could be hash plant, or could be something like maybe God bud, or just OG kush depending on the grower. The last pic kinda reminds me of Romulan, but that's probably not what it is...

Im thinking you called it with God Bud.  Dont believe Ive had it and all the specs and attributes match up.  I really like this stuff.  Thanks for ID, now I can order it specifically!

• Like 1