The whining thread

john lennon

Just now, Gracii Guns said:

Whatever happened to being kissed on the back of the hand when a gentleman greets you? 

BLOODY FEMINISTS!!!! 

Cuz you’re worried about the right hander coming straight after, along with the impending Weinstein case? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So’s bye so why differentiate?  Because you’re a ponce :lol:

Would the world really be better if everybody used the exact same words? If all synonyms were conflated into single words?

Nah, this is just inflexible Brits demonstrating their inability to cope with change. Your grandparents probably laughed at people who first started with indoor plumbing. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you are just the sort of person who would love a lanyard. 

And you are just the sort of person who would misunderstand and think I love lanyards just because I happen to have gathered a whole bunch of them through numerous conferences where I have to wear them.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Would the world really be better if everybody used the exact same words? If all synonyms were conflated into single words?

Nah, this is just inflexible Brits demonstrating their inability to cope with change. Your grandparents probably laughed at people who first started with indoor plumbing. 

And you are just the sort of person who would misunderstand and think I love lanyards just because I happen to have gathered a whole bunch of them through numerous conferences where I have to wear them.

...and took a photograph and posted it here?

• Haha 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

As opposed to people who keenly observe culture waiting for each new foreign language turn of phrase that they now deem ‘international’ so they can upload it into their vocabulary and show how current and trendy they are.  Why stop at ciao, most people in Europe understand ‘au revoir’ too, why not that, why not ‘auf widersen’, most’ll get that too.  Fuck it, why not be controversial and contribute to the internationalisation of a new phrase, use ‘Allah Hafiz’ next time :lol:

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

...and took a photograph and posted it here?

Your argument would make some sense if I took a photograph of them and hung it on the wall. That could indicate I actually love lanyards. But yes, I took a photo of them when we discussed lanyards because I thought it would be funny to show you, a lanyard-hater, how many I have gathered through the years. Maybe I even posed with them around my neck. Can't remember.

But hey, on some extremely superficial level I can agree it sounds silly to wear lanyards as some fashion statement, but come to it, I find most fashion statements silly :lol: To the extent that I would never make a harsh word towards anyone regardless of how they look, what they wear, etc. It doesn't really matter. It is just surface. Trends. Come and go. I look silly, too, seen with the right eyes, who am I to complain over others?

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

As opposed to people who keenly observe culture waiting for each new foreign language turn of phrase that they now deem ‘international’ so they can upload it into their vocabulary and show how current and trendy they are.  

Well, some people are like that. They want to start trends, they want to be avant garde and all that, while some just want to follow trends other start because they are afraid to stand out of the pack, and some couldn't care less altogether. Does it really matter? If hipsters wear long beards to show group identity, or if some traveler come back from Italy and start saying 'ciao' to sound cosmopolitan, or if people want to spend more time with their kids instead of scrubbing plates? You might find it shallow to focus so much on trends, to want to stand out and be different, I find it more shallow to focus on people who focus on trends. I have always not cared about these things and stopped being bothered by the follies of fashion decades ago. 

But to you it isn't just the emergence of new expression and stuff, is it? It is the breakdown of social strata. People who dare to rise above their station, who "pretend to be more than what they are," as if we are all locked in some demographic or class from the time of birth. Whether it is be trying to sound international or whether it is by buying a dishwasher. or listening to the wrong kind of music. Or digging the wrong kind of movies. Or wearing the wrong kind of clothes. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Why care?

Why do I care? I was offering merely a cultural observation last time I was using the train network. 

Puffa jackets, a relic from the early 1990s which I never thought I'd see return, are however back in vogue!!

Maybe white dog shit will return?

24 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The point is anyone can put any rubbish in these lanyards, a bus ticket, a receipt, and mince around cities.

My starting point is that most people for most part behave rationally. There are social rewards to being trendsetters, and there are social rewards to following trends, and there are social rewards to not caring about trends altogether. Wearing lanyards may not make any sense in your social group, in fact it might be anathema, but to those who wear them I am sure there is some benefit to get, some social reward. I might not get what that is, but I would be stupid to just assume they do such things without any possible benefit, so because of that I just shut up and accept whatever people do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, some people are like that. They want to start trends, they want to be avant garde and all that, while some just want to follow trends other start because they are afraid to stand out of the pack, and some couldn't care less altogether. Does it really matter? If hipsters wear long beards to show group identity, or if some traveler come back from Italy and start saying 'ciao' to sound cosmopolitan, or if people want to spend more time with their kids instead of scrubbing plates? You might find it shallow to focus so much on trends, to want to stand out and be different, I find it more shallow to focus on people who focus on trends. I have always not cared about these things and stopped being bothered by the follies of fashion decades ago. 

But to you it isn't just the emergence of new expression and stuff, is it? It is the breakdown of social strata. People who dare to rise above their station, who "pretend to be more than what they are," as if we are all locked in some demographic or class from the time of birth. Whether it is be trying to sound international or whether it is by buying a dishwasher. or listening to the wrong kind of music. Or digging the wrong kind of movies. Or wearing the wrong kind of clothes. 

Its a lot more basic than that, its called being a cunt :lol:  

16 hours ago, EvanG said:

In my language it's getting more and more common to use a lot of English words which pisses me off too... I've noticed that in the last years a lot of people have been saying 'thanks' instead of using the Dutch word. Sometimes I don't remember a word for something in my native language but I do in English, because it's a language I've been listening to almost every single day of my life, but I hate using English words when I'm not speaking English.

It's getting worse too. It used to be only the word 'kids', but now my daughter says 'unicorn' as well. How silly is that? I blame Dutch YouTubers for that :anger:

16 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I know right?  I hate when I hear that 'oh, you won't have trouble with 'x' european country, they all speak English there!', well, in that case, I might as well go to fuckin' Bognor.  When I go to Holland I wanna see...Dutch people speaking Dutch.  And...I dunno, whatever the fuck there is in Holland, not a bunch of English shite, there's enough of that over here.

In Amsterdam, shop assistants don't even know Dutch. You have to speak English to them, or rather, broken English. They're not ashamed either: 'Sorry, I don't speak Dutch.' They don't even try! I refuse to speak English to a shop assistant in a Dutch city. I was appalled.

26 minutes ago, Lio said:

It's getting worse too. It used to be only the word 'kids', but now my daughter says 'unicorn' as well. How silly is that? I blame Dutch YouTubers for that :anger:

In Amsterdam, shop assistants don't even know Dutch. You have to speak English to them, or rather, broken English. They're not ashamed either: 'Sorry, I don't speak Dutch.' They don't even try! I refuse to speak English to a shop assistant in a Dutch city. I was appalled.

Why is that?  Or rather how is that?  How can a Dutch shopkeeper speak broken English ahead of Dutch?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Why is that?  Or rather how is that?  How can a Dutch shopkeeper speak broken English ahead of Dutch?

Because many shop assistants are immigrants (whose native language isn't English) and the Dutch are really proud of how good their own English is. So they feel like there's no need for shopkeepers to speak Dutch at all.

4 hours ago, Lio said:

And the worst part is that they say ''tanks'' instead of ''thanks'' because they don't know how to pronounce the ''th'' sound, so they already look like idiots for using an English word, but then they can't even pronounce it the right way. And don't even get me started on the word ''awkward'', it seems like that word replaced the Dutch word in its entirety.

I hate Amsterdam... I hate all the tourists... I hate the dirty and narrow streets that aren't even charming... I hate that other Dutch people in stores speak to me in English... I hate all the loud freaky British kids that go there just to get drunk and stoned, like you can't do that in Jolly Old England... I hate all the junkies coming up to me and asking for drugs because I'm skinny and my hair is probably too long so they assume I'm a junkie too... I hate how expensive everything is... I hate their arrogance, like the rest of the country is below them... I hate how they think that Amsterdam is a world city, but it's really not... I don't care much for football, but if I did I would probably hate Ajax too.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dreading summer and don't understand why it's most people's favourite season. I used to like summer when we had normal summers but there's nothing to like about record-breaking agonizing heatwaves every year, which is all there seems to be nowadays. The ten hottest summers ever recorded where I live are almost all from the past two decades and this is not funny anymore. I don't even live in a tropical climate but it's starting to feel that way more and more each year. This past month we've already had tropical temperatures on several days and summer hasn't even begun. Maybe that's normal in some parts of the world, but not where I live. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I'm dreading summer and don't understand why it's most people's favourite season. I used to like summer when we had normal summers but there's nothing to like about record-breaking agonizing heatwaves every year, which is all there seems to be nowadays. The ten hottest summers ever recorded where I live are almost all from the past two decades and this is not funny anymore. I don't even live in a tropical climate but it's starting to feel that way more and more each year. This past month we've already had tropical temperatures on several days and summer hasn't even begun. Maybe that's normal in some parts of the world, but not where I live. 

Its all about adapting.  Here, this guys got it figured out:

lNaNoJCh.jpg

• Like 1