The MYGNRFORUM Around the World Song Challenge

BlueJean Baby

@solstar Yeah, he's in the guitar magazines here sometimes.  I guess thats why I mainly think of him as a guitarist.  I think it was how Gilby and others sing his praises that I was first introduced to Pappo back in the day, but since then I notice his name lots.   I just checked out that song and really like it too.

• GNFNR 1

Day 3

Chile

Spoiler

Victor Jara was also a theater director and political activist. He was tortured and executed, along with thousands of other political prisoners, by the Pinochet regime shortly after the military coup in 1973.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 2 - South Africa

I recently discovered Alice Phoebe Lou. She is a singer songwriter and also a street musician. She came from South Africa to Berlin when she was only 19. I think she's crazily talented. It's not at all hard rock or maye not even rock'n roll. So I have no idea if you guys like it.

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 2

Day 4 and I have no idea what to do with all those American regions that will be coming up. Is it just me or is this an american centred world right here. lol There is Canada to me and Northern und Southern US as well as all those  Southern American countries each.  (I would know what to do with US East Coast and West Coast, too). Contrary to that I would know what to do with all those Skandinavian countires you put together. Same with Netherlands and Belgium. :lol:

I don't want to come around as pissy, please don't misunderstand. I just am too clueless with your American divisions and wanted to let you guys know (and maybe hear what you think?) Will have to google search or pass on those days like today.  Which is fine.

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

Day 4 and I have no idea what to do with all those American regions that will be coming up. Is it just me or is this an american centred world right here. lol There is Canada to me and Northern und Southern US as well as all those  Southern American countries each.  (I would know what to do with US East Coast and West Coast, too). Contrary to that I would know what to do with all those Skandinavian countires you put together. Same with Netherlands and Belgium. :lol:

I don't want to come around as pissy, please don't misunderstand. I just am too clueless with your American divisions and wanted to let you guys know (and maybe hear what you think?) Will have to google search or pass on those days like today.  Which is fine.

Yes, I would want Scandinavian countries and Belgium and Netherlands separate too, please :P

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Yes, I would want Scandinavian countries and Belgium and Netherlands separate too, please :P

Since this challenge started from an idea I had, I'll try to explain it.

At first I had it in my mind as a geographical challenge about mostly anglophonic rock and pop music, i.e. like in all the other challenges we have done. And, whether we like it or not, most of this music comes from the US, the UK and the other English speaking countries, so I thought that the division should be made depending on the options; for example, there are many artists from New York or London alone to pick from.

Then, through the discussion here

we thought of making it more challenging and cover the whole planet, and it ended up being an "hybrid" list . No one suggested otherwise in the discussion, so @BlueJean Baby put it together and then we made some corrections.

I agree that, by an available options reasoning, maybe most of the Scandinavian countries and the Low Countries could or should be on their own

By a "non American centered world" reasoning, however, the same stands for every other European country (so then why not Serbia on its own too, for example, as it's a fairly big country). But then what about Asian and African countries? Should we still have them in groups and make it an "American-European centered world" challenge just because most of us don't know much about those countries music? Wouldn't it be fair for those to be on their own too?

Edited by Blackstar

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Since this challenge started from an idea I had, I'll try to explain it.

At first I had it in my mind as a geographical challenge about mostly anglophonic rock and pop music, i.e. like in all the other challenges we have done. And, whether we like it or not, most of this music comes from the US, the UK and the other English speaking countries, so I thought that the division should be made depending on the options; for example, there are many artists from New York or London alone to pick from.

Then, through the discussion here

we thought of making it more challenging and cover the whole planet, and it ended up being an "hybrid" list . No one suggested otherwise in the discussion, so @BlueJean Baby put it together and then we made some corrections.

I agree that, by an available options reasoning, maybe most of the Scandinavian countries and the Low Countries could or should be on their own

By a "non American centered world" reasoning, however, the same stands for every other European country (so then why not Serbia on its own too, for example, as it's a fairly big country). But then what about Asian and African countries? Should we still have them in groups and make it an "American-European centered world" challenge just because most of us don't know much about those countries music? Wouldn't it be fair for those to be on their own too?

Thank you for the explanation. I thought something along that line. and yeah, the middle East section should be devided as well, I'm sure there are tons of cultural and musical differences between those countries. Let alone I wouldn't have a clue and there you have my anglo-saxon-European centered world. ;)

Maybe we can agree on dividing scandinavia and the Netherlands and Belgium. If there are Balkan people here who would like to share their different bands from each of those countries we could devide that, too. We can also decide to maybe post more than one song on collective days and note which band comes from which country?

I wasn't trying to be political correct here. I just have no clue about so many american divisions. If you guys have I'm more than happy to listen to them all. I'll post tons of songs on Scandinavia and on Netherland/Belgium day then ;)

30 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Thank you for the explanation. I thought something along that line. and yeah, the middle East section should be devided as well, I'm sure there are tons of cultural and musical differences between those countries. Let alone I wouldn't have a clue and there you have my anglo-saxon-European centered world. ;)

Maybe we can agree on dividing scandinavia and the Netherlands and Belgium. If there are Balkan people here who would like to share their different bands from each of those countries we could devide that, too. We can also decide to maybe post more than one song on collective days and note which band comes from which country?

I wasn't trying to be political correct here. I just have no clue about so many american divisions. If you guys have I'm more than happy to listen to them all. I'll post tons of songs on Scandinavia and on Netherland/Belgium day then ;)

Alright, maybe we could do a further division like this:

• Scandinavia-Northern Europe (Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Iceland and Norway)

--> 1. Sweden 2. Norway 3. Denmark 4. Finland and Iceland (I think it's okay to group Iceland with another country)

• European Low Countries of Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands

--> 1. Belgium and Luxembourg  2. The Netherlands (if @Lio doesn't want Luxembourg with Belgium, we can put it with The Netherlands :lol:)

• Eastern Europe-West Asia (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine,  Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan)

--> 1. European Baltic countries (Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia)  2. Belarus and Ukraine   3.  Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan

• Southeast Europe (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, the Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia)

--> 1. Former Yugoslavia (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, F.R. of Macedonia, Montenegro, Servia and Slovenia) and Albania  2. Bulgaria   3. Romania and Moldova

• Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland

--> 1. Hungary  2. Czech Republic and Slovakia  3. Poland

• Middle East (Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Yemen) and Maghreb region

--> 1. Israel, Palestine and Jordan 2. Syria and Lebanon 3. Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Yemen 4. Iraq  5. Iran 6. Turkey

7. Egypt  8. North Africa-Maghreb region (Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia, Western Sahara)

• Caribbean Islands

--> 1. Jamaica  2. Cuba  3. Rest of Caribbean

If you guys agree, I'll work on it and p.m. the edited list to @BlueJean Baby to update it.