Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

On September 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM, EvanG said:

Just heard their new song Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts).

Sounds like something off Teargarden.

I wasnt following them at the time, should check that out.

The drums and some of the additional guitars reminded me of 1979.

I just heard this now. I like it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, soon said:

I wasnt following them at the time, should check that out.

The drums and some of the additional guitars reminded me of 1979.

I just heard this now. I like it!

It reminded me of 1979 too. It's really growing on me after a few listens.... I like the pop feel and like it more than Solara. Looking forward to the new EP even more now!

• GNFNR 1

Always funny seeing an interview with James and Billy together. James hardly ever says more than ten words during the interview, while Billy usually comes close to a thousand words.

The comment on making another concept album sounds good though!

Edited by EvanG

On September 15, 2018 at 8:13 AM, EvanG said:

It reminded me of 1979 too. It's really growing on me after a few listens.... I like the pop feel and like it more than Solara. Looking forward to the new EP even more now!

It is kinda pop, when you said that I got reminded of Billy's work on Celebrity Skin. To my ears SS is reminiscent of those tracks also.

Just now, soon said:

It is kinda pop, when you said that I got reminded of Billy's work on Celebrity Skin. To my ears SS is reminiscent of those tracks also.

I really like Celebrity Skin... I don't know how much Billy's contribution was... Courtney says not a lot, Billy says otherwise, but it's a great album nevertheless.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, soon said:

Like I said, it reminded me of songs off Teargarden, at least the 'poppy feel'. These two are pretty good, you said you never checked it out, maybe you will like these two as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Like I said, it reminded me of songs off Teargarden, at least the 'poppy feel'. These two are pretty good, you said you never checked it out, maybe you will like these two as well.

Thanks for these! Yeah, I can definelty hear what you are saying about the similar pop characteristics with these and SS. Owata is instantly easy to love. I think I need more time with Freak. 

I could tell right away that this wasnt a Jimmy album. Amazed by the difference it makes... Billy sounds like he forgot to put his pants on or something with out him, lol. So Im really glad that Jimmy and James could continue on with where Billy had gone as a songwriter with out them on the new album.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That reunion tour must have been somewhat of a blow to his ego, because he was expecting it to be like the GnR' reunion, but instead they didn't sell out most places and only played two European dates because there was not a lot of interest.

But I'm glad we're getting new music, a new EP coming out next week (but it already leaked) and next year another EP. And a lot of archive stuff is coming out, so it's an exciting time to be a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

That reunion tour must have been somewhat of a blow to his ego, because he was expecting it to be like the GnR' reunion, but instead they didn't sell out most places and only played two European dates because there was not a lot of interest.

But I'm glad we're getting new music, a new EP coming out next week (but it already leaked) and next year another EP. And a lot of archive stuff is coming out, so it's an exciting time to be a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

I wonder if its the challenge that they could still 'conquer' Europe and other markets that drives him to continue?

Im behind - I didnt know about the leak! Thanks for the heads up.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

I wonder if its the challenge that they could still 'conquer' Europe and other markets that drives him to continue?

Yeah. Or they are really getting along this time. At least it looks like it.

It was naive to think that having James back would make such a difference, though. I love James and was excited to see him play the old songs again, but he's not in the same league as Slash and Duff obviously. Having D'arcy on board would have probably made for a bigger hype as well, but that ship has sailed.

20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah. Or they are really getting along this time. At least it looks like it.

It was naive to think that having James back would make such a difference, though. I love James and was excited to see him play the old songs again, but he's not in the same league as Slash and Duff obviously. Having D'arcy on board would have probably made for a bigger hype as well, but that ship has sailed.

Yeah, the roll out hasn't been perfect but I'm really happy with how focoused on new music they are. Seems to be at the core of what they're about. Like you say exciting time to be a fan!!

• Like 1