What is Axl up to these days?

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Im not into autographs either, although I did get John Scofield to sign an album once and he was a jerk about it. I think for some artists the "personal" connection could be meaningful but George Lucas disrespects Ebayers and tries to school them on pulling themselves up by there boot straps. On a number of occasions he's told autograph seekers to "get a job." Apparently he doesnt understand that it is there job. He seems to feel that he's enabling "beggars." It strikes me as very elitists and punitive even.

In my opinion the fault lies on both sides here, but I dare say that it's more on the "e-bayer's" side. Lucas' "go beg on the corner" etc. was condescending, and I understand that these people make a living out of this thing. But I think that people should maintain some dignity in whatever job they do. When you see that the celebrity is not responsive (and on top of that he's insulting you), don't be servile or pushy saying things like "it's for your fans".

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In my opinion the fault lies on both sides here, but I dare say that it's more on the "e-bayer's" side. Lucas' "go beg on the corner" etc. was condescending, and I understand that these people make a living out of this thing. But I think that people should maintain some dignity in whatever job they do. When you see that the celebrity is not responsive (and on top of that he's insulting you), don't be servile or pushy saying things like "it's for your fans".

I think they might have been trolling him, since getting a rise out of him and coaxing a "get a job" from him is a bit of a trend. On a Star Wars podcast they sometimes throw in a "get a job" sound bite for comedic purposes (like how Brandon does with sound bites on his show). So that might not have been the best example for me to use.

Im sure that the Ebayers are pushy in general though. Im not sure if they 'have to' be. But if they do, if thats the nature of the game are they really acting beneath decorum? Ive seen video of Dee Snider commend and celebrate the entrepreneurial spirit of Ebayers while singing their stuff. So, like you say, both parties have a role in setting a healthy tone I guess.

• Like 2

I've talked about this before on here, I would never ask someone for an autograph, I really don't see the point in having someone's name on a piece of paper, it's as embarrassing as the ''we're not worthy!'' scene in Wayne's World.

If anything, I would do what Dennis Pennis does, give my autograph to the celebrity instead.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, soon said:

Im sure that the Ebayers are pushy in general though. Im not sure if they 'have to' be. But if they do, if thats the nature of the game are they really acting beneath decorum? Ive seen video of Dee Snider commend and celebrate the entrepreneurial spirit of Ebayers while singing their stuff. So, like you say, both parties have a role in setting a healthy tone I guess.

I think if an artist wants to help e-bayers (or doesn't mind them), it's fine. And if an artist doesn't want to contribute to their income for whatever reason and wants to give autographs only directly to fans it's his/her right (as is the e-bayer's right to ask for autographs) and it's also fine.

Or even if the artist doesn't want to sign autographs at all for whatever reason - and not necessarily because of elitism or arrogance.

--------

Dylan again

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think if an artist wants to help e-bayers (or doesn't mind them), it's fine. And if an artist doesn't want to contribute to their income for whatever reason and wants to give autographs only directly to fans it's his/her right (as is the e-bayer's right to ask for autographs) and it's also fine.

Or even if the artist doesn't want to sign autographs at all for whatever reason - and not necessarily because of elitism or arrogance.

--------

Dylan again

Sometimes I think Dylan is obtuse just for the sake of it, lol. Being heady and 'trying to make the people think.' Kinda a messianic message here, maybe, of "dont eat bread which will rot (my autograph) eat the bread of life (being graced with sharing a more personal human exchange with me)."

I dont like the principal of signing for fans and not eBay, personally. Rights are all fine and good, but I wonder about the motivation for evoking that right.

If I was a star I likely wouldnt sign multiple stuff 90% of the time. I can see how tedious it would get to sign 100 ballon guitars every time you left your apartment. But Id be happy to give one autograph to everyone who asked no matter what i assumed it was for.

• GNFNR 1

If I was a celebrity my autograph policy would be to only sign personized autographs on paper/cardboard items that would make it extremely difficult to remove the personalization without damage.

I understand why a celebrity would be upset with people making money off their autograph. The celebrity could also charge for the autograph but somebody as wealthy as Axl would really look bad charging $20 for autographs. He's better off not signing.

All these "me, me, me" comments, what are they for? If some people like or want autographs, that's their thing, period. Stop pretending you are superior just because you don't want an autograph.

As for selling them and making a living out of it, I had no idea this was even possible but if it is, oh well.... it sounds much better than selling drugs, I don't know.

Celebrities lecturing people about jobs are just arrogant assholes who should look at themselves in the mirror. What about the Mickey Mouse charging loads of money for a box full of old recordings dusted off with the only purpose of taking advantage of hardcore fans?

No shame, really....

5 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Or was this around the time he announced he wouldn't be signing autographs due to ebayers and he was just reiterating once again that ebayers suck so they knew why?

I believe he even posted the no autographs on his twitter.

No, I posted the screenshot in the previous page, please check it.

The fan says it was a month ago when they were in Barcelona.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, killuridols said:

All these "me, me, me" comments, what are they for? If some people like or want autographs, that's their thing, period. Stop pretending you are superior just because you don't want an autograph.

As for selling them and making a living out of it, I had no idea this was even possible but if it is, oh well.... it sounds much better than selling drugs, I don't know.

Celebrities lecturing people about jobs are just arrogant assholes who should look at themselves in the mirror. What about the Mickey Mouse charging loads of money for a box full of old recordings dusted off with the only purpose of taking advantage of hardcore fans?

No shame, really....

I think it's one thing to make money off something you yourself made or contributed to, and quite another to sell autographs of someone else, to which you have contributed absolutely nothing at all.

Selling autographs or lithos or whatever for a lot of money is allowed, I suppose, but it won't make me stop finding it an utterly despicable way of making your money off someone else's work (or fame if you like) and spoiling it for the rest. The autograph hunters for the genuine fans who really want the autograph as a keepsake, not for money reasons, and the litho buyer that snatches up 20 lithos to then sell them for a huge profit, often preventing a fan to get a souvenir from the show he's attending.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ratam said:

No Axl..this will shut up many.....:lol:

I don't think so, that's impossible :lol:

But, actually, from what I see Axl got an honourable mention in the best autograph signers list (thanks to Angus) :lol:

https://autographnews.org/the-top-10-best-music-autograph-signers-of-2017-91bf253a5bba

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Stop pretending you are superior just because you don't want an autograph.

That's exactly the point... no one is superior. I don't want anyone's autograph, not from the garbage man, nor my favourite musician. 

Now, I wouldn't mind having Slash's pick, because that would represent something that I admire about him.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't collect autographs but I do collect vials of celebrity sweat. 

Reminds me of the film Antiviral where people buy and sell viruses from celebrities, because they're such fans they want to be infected by the same pathogens as their hero.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think so, that's impossible :lol:

But, actually, from what I see Axl got an honourable mention in the best autograph signers list (thanks to Angus) :lol:

https://autographnews.org/the-top-10-best-music-autograph-signers-of-2017-91bf253a5bba

Yes, i read this, but seem Angus is very accessible and to set an Axl exemple,this said this article.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

But people who don't beg for autographs from celebrities ARE superior to those that do. It's servile and embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Yes, i read this, but seem Angus is very accessible and to set an Axl exemple,this said this article.

Yeah. From what I understand, these best/worst signers lists have been put together by professional collectors, not fans.

Maybe someone will send them the complaints on Beta's IG and they'll remove Axl from the list :lol:

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Lio said:

I think it's one thing to make money off something you yourself made or contributed to, and quite another to sell autographs of someone else, to which you have contributed absolutely nothing at all.

Selling autographs or lithos or whatever for a lot of money is allowed, I suppose, but it won't make me stop finding it an utterly despicable way of making your money off someone else's work (or fame if you like) and spoiling it for the rest. The autograph hunters for the genuine fans who really want the autograph as a keepsake, not for money reasons, and the litho buyer that snatches up 20 lithos to then sell them for a huge profit, often preventing a fan to get a souvenir from the show he's attending.

So if you have a kiosk or a drugstore or whatever other kind of shop, you are immoral because you didn't make the medicines yourself, you didn't cook and packed every cookie, every bottle of Coke, every pack of cigarettes, every piece of clothing, shoes, whatever the heck you are selling? WHAT? :question:

JFC, people!!!!

The only one spoiling it for the fans is the asshole celebrity with his/her pointy finger, deciding based on "looks" (because what other criteria are they using?), who is an eBayer and who is a real fan. That is more depicable than anything else.

Despicable way of making money is selling drugs, stealing, robbing at gun point, receiving bribes, trafficking humans.

The litho buyer that snatched up 20 lithos bought their merch, didn't steal it. Yes, it's unfair and there is complicity from the vendor as well, but it is not preventing fans from getting the lithos. If you want that litho so badly, you will go there and get it. How? By making the line 3 days before the shop opens, just like the litho buyer did.

43 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's exactly the point... no one is superior. I don't want anyone's autograph, not from the garbage man, nor my favourite musician. 

Now, I wouldn't mind having Slash's pick, because that would represent something that I admire about him.

What you want is irrelevant to what other people want. If people want an autograph, just let them have it because how in the hell does that affect you?

Cool, you want a pick. Lots of other people don't want a pick or are not Slash fans. If you are an Axl fan, what should you ask for?

"hey, can you please sing into this little bottle so I can capture a bit of your voice because that's what I admire about you"

:facepalm: ridiculous arguments...

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But people who don't beg for autographs from celebrities ARE superior to those that do. It's servile and embarrassing.

Not everybody BEGS for an autograph. Stop making silly generalizations.

And I'm sorry, but using that logic, attending a show where the celebrity is above you on a stage and you are down there, applauding like a seal, could be also thought as servile and embarrassing.

Heck, the whole notion of being a fan is servile.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Not everybody BEGS for an autograph. Stop making silly generalizations.

And I'm sorry, but using that logic, attending a show where the celebrity is above you on a stage and you are down there, applauding like a seal, could be also thought as servile and embarrassing.

Heck, the whole notion of being a fan is servile.

Enjoying live music is vastly different from enjoying someone's signature just because they are a celebrity. 

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

What you want is irrelevant to what other people want. If people want an autograph, just let them have it because how in the hell does that affect you?

Cool, you want a pick. Lots of other people don't want a pick or are not Slash fans. If you are an Axl fan, what should you ask for?

"hey, can you please sing into this little bottle so I can capture a bit of your voice because that's what I admire about you"

:facepalm: ridiculous arguments...

I've never said people aren't allowed to ask for it. Just that it's silly and it shows the celebrity worshipping that makes me cringe most of the time. I don't understand the value of a piece of paper with a person's name on it and what that says about their talent. Unless they have the most beautiful handwriting in the world and are unique for that, then it would make sense.

I'd probably ask Axl for those shorts he wore during the UYI tour and secretly try them on.

Edited by EvanG
typo
  • Haha 1

So I think it's safe to say Axl does sign autographs and just as most artists he doesn't do it all the time everywhere and sometimes is caught on the wrong foot. And I think that's perfectly fine. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. And sometimes people just meet each other on the wrong day.

I'd be more pissed if he goes on stage in the middle of the night only to storm off after 20 minutes. A concert is a deal, an appointment, an agreement. An autograph is more like a favour, a nice gesture and a souvenir. At least that's how I see it.

If I would meet Axl an autograph would be the last thing on my mind. He's one of my favourite artists so if he felt like chatting I'd ask him about inspiration, motivation, singing, lyrics, music, context, society, art and all that stuff - but surely not for an autograph.

Sometimes I think people don't see that stopping to sign could drag an artist into those kind of questions and I can totally see an artist not feeling like answering these every day or over and over again. Then what do you do? Stop and sign and be ass because you refused to chat? Or be an ass because you didn't stop and sign in the first place? Sometimes you just don't want interaction. I wish people could just respect that and not take it the wrong way as being rude or something.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Enjoying live music is vastly different from enjoying someone's signature just because they are a celebrity. 

I am not talking about enjoying things. I am talking about the relationship between an spectator and the performer. Basically, what Jesús Gonzalez Requena calls "theory of the spectacle".

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I've never said people aren't allowed to ask for it. Just that it's silly and it shows the celebrity worshipping that makes me cringe most of the time. I don't understand the value of a piece of paper with a person's name on it and what that says about their talent. Unless they have the most beautiful handwriting in the world and are unique for that, then it would make sense.

I'd probably ask Axl for those shorts he wore during the UYI tour and secretly try them on.

Handwriting must be one of the very few things that are personal and seem that soon will get lost with all the technology replacement of everything human.

There are caligraphy experts who can even tell things about your personality just by analyzing your handwriting or signature. And signature it is still required to give authenticity to certain legal procedures.

So I can safely assume that the signature of a celebrity could represent something of high value for any person who admires that celebrity.

How is asking for a pick a superior act than asking for an autograph? The pick you are asking for is just a plastic thing without any meaning, except for the emotional meaning you will give it from knowing it was used by Slash, right?

The meaning is symbolic, because as you must know, that pick didn't come out from Slash body, huh? 😏😏😂

An autograph on a blank piece of paper might not represent much, but if it's signed over a book, a photo, poster or an album cover, I think one can give it a symbolic meaning, just like you do with so many things in your life and that doesn't make you a servant or worshipper.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

I am not talking about enjoying things. I am talking about the relationship between an spectator and the performer. Basically, what Jesús Gonzalez Requena calls "theory of the spectacle".

There is a vast difference between enjoying a live performance and the connection that arises between spectators and performers at shows, and wanting the signatures of celebrities. 

42 minutes ago, killuridols said:

So if you have a kiosk or a drugstore or whatever other kind of shop, you are immoral because you didn't make the medicines yourself, you didn't cook and packed every cookie, every bottle of Coke, every pack of cigarettes, every piece of clothing, shoes, whatever the heck you are selling? WHAT? :question:

JFC, people!!!!

The only one spoiling it for the fans is the asshole celebrity with his/her pointy finger, deciding based on "looks" (because what other criteria are they using?), who is an eBayer and who is a real fan. That is more depicable than anything else.

Despicable way of making money is selling drugs, stealing, robbing at gun point, receiving bribes, trafficking humans.

The litho buyer that snatched up 20 lithos bought their merch, didn't steal it. Yes, it's unfair and there is complicity from the vendor as well, but it is not preventing fans from getting the lithos. If you want that litho so badly, you will go there and get it. How? By making the line 3 days before the shop opens, just like the litho buyer did.

If you think hassling celebrities for autographs or buying up lithos and then selling them for big bucks is the same as selling stuff in a store, then we clearly will never understand each other.

But here goes anyway, if anyone else doesn't see the difference: the eBayer got the autograph for free, pretending to be a fan. He tries to get as much money as possible for it, while not working, not paying any taxes or anything. The guy selling shoes or whatever else bought his stuff and is selling it at retail price in a store. He also pays taxes and maybe even has staff, thus contributing to society in more than one way. To me, the difference is night and day. It's not even comparable.

I totally understand any celebrity that decides not to hand out autographs anymore, because those eBayers will make a profit from it. Again, a few people spoiling it for everyone else. Shame, but that's the way it goes. Everyone always has to pay for the behaviour of a few bad apples.

• Like 1