New Slash interview: New album hasn't started yet

6 hours ago, MidnightToker said:

I'd like to see Frank Ferrer take a leading role in the songwriting of the new album. Slash and Duff can have some input but it should be Frank's vision most of all. He can teach Axl which notes to sing and allow some lyrical input from Axl. 

I would like to see Frank become  a born again and realize that being in a rock band no longer fits his lifestyle...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, MidnightToker said:

I'd like to see Frank Ferrer take a leading role in the songwriting of the new album. Slash and Duff can have some input but it should be Frank's vision most of all. He can teach Axl which notes to sing and allow some lyrical input from Axl. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 10:27 PM, RONIN said:

This might be just me but from the interviews I've read from Slash over the past few years, I don't get the feeling that GnR is his band. He doesn't talk about Guns in the same way that he talks about SMKC. There is no sense of ownership from him like in the past when he referred to GnR as "my band". The subtext I get from his words seems to suggest more of a handsomely paid hired gun with some high level managerial/creative cache - he doesn't sound like a part-owner of that brand/band. Put another way, he acts like a 20-25% shareholder who sits on the board of GnR corp with Axl, the chairman, controlling 50-60% of the company.

I think that's why people feel this is just another iteration of Nu Gnr - because Axl still appears to be fully driving the band's affairs while Sluff are simply along for the ride. Hence, the non-committal answers from Slash and Duff about the future of the band with some positive prognosticating because the three partners re-discovered how much time and money they pissed away with their foolish feud. 

All that being said, Marc Canter mentioned in 2016 that the partnership is active again so who the hell knows. Given Axl's MO though, it seems highly unlikely that the old partnership has been rejuvenated without some major amendments to it so that Axl can legally continue to run the band as he sees fit without interference. @Blackstar thoughts?

I got the same vibe from the recent Slash interviews. But I don't think it has to do with the legal status of the band, the partnership and ownership percentages.

I think it has more to do with the fact that with SMKC Slash can make the music he wants in his own terms and pace. It's, in his own words in one of the latest interviews, a "painless" band. And it's a steady thing, not a collaboration like with MJ and zillions of others or a side project like Snakepit - even Velvet Revolver, as it seems, was for Slash more about proving something than being in his comfort zone and not a painless experience. SMKC is his band and the steadiest thing Slash's ever had outside and post GnR; and that's a big difference from the past.

This can be a good thing (considering also the latest news) as Slash can be more open to do different things with GnR (although I think he probably has become more open in general with time), since he has another vehicle to do exactly what he wants creatively and has full control of.  But it also means that with GnR he has to make compromises in this regard. And, even though Axl seems to be easier to work with now than in the past, GnR is still a complicated entity compared to SMKC - it's not a comfort zone.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I got the same vibe from the recent Slash interviews. But I don't think it has to do with the legal status of the band, the partnership and ownership percentages.

I think it has more to do with the fact that with SMKC Slash can make the music he wants in his own terms and pace. It's, in his own words in one of the latest interviews, a "painless" band. And it's a steady thing, not a collaboration like with MJ and zillions of others or a side project like Snakepit - even Velvet Revolver, as it seems, was for Slash more about proving something than being in his comfort zone and not a painless experience. SMKC is his band and the steadiest thing Slash's ever had outside and post GnR; and that's a big difference from the past.

This can be a good thing (considering also the latest news) as Slash can be more open to do different things with GnR (although I think he probably has become more open in general with time), since he has another vehicle to do exactly what he wants creatively and has full control of.  But it also means that with GnR he has to make compromises in this regard. And, even though Axl seems to be easier to work with now than in the past, GnR is still a complicated entity compared to SMKC - it's not a comfort zone.

"GnR is still a complicated entity compared to SMKC - it's not a comfort zone"

I think with SMKC in terms of creativity with LTD hes coasting. I hope axl can push him more, like the level of brilliance on estranged. 

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 3