downzy

MYGNRFORUM YouTube Policy

On 19-12-2019 at 9:50 PM, AncientEvil80 said:

Tragic, yes. 

UYI is truly great too (minus a few tracks, which taken singularly are actually still decent). The problem was a dull drummer who had NOTHING to do with the original formula. Killed and ruined the swing in so many wonderful tunes. And yes, over-production at times likely due to Axl's state of mind back then. 

As for the Stones... well, different band, different music, different attitude. Even in their prime (GNR), the comparison never even made any sense at all. 1987-GNR just utterly destroys anything the Stones ever did, IMHO. 

I don't know man. I used to agree with the point of Sorum being dull. But his drumming on UYI is still growing on me every time I listen to these albums. I'm not sure if all of UYI would've worked with Steven. If you compare Civil War to the other tracks, it doesn't sound as full as anything with Sorum on it. I could be completely off, but Sorum did a pretty good job there.

Steven's unique groove will always be connected to and an integral part of AFD and their original sound.

If anything, Brain redoing everything Josh Freese did for CD sounds dull and off. Especially after hearing all these songs with Freese drumming. But that could be because Brain was asked to play these songs like Freese did them, instead of bringing in his own ideas.

I'm not sure if Frank's any good. There are times where he seems to be amazing, and there are some fills that add nothing whatsoever. And his timing can be all over the place. 

Edited by UcudBmine

On 24/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, UcudBmine said:

I don't know man. I used to agree with the point of Sorum being dull. But his drumming on UYI is still growing on me every time I listen to these albums. I'm not sure if all of UYI would've worked with Steven. If you compare Civil War to the other tracks, it doesn't sound as full as anything with Sorum on it. I could be completely off, but Sorum did a pretty good job there.

Civil War has the best drums (in terms of GNR sound) of the whole UYI double LP.... 

IMHO Steven's arrangement always felt "baby-like", it added that cartoonish vibe to the whole formula - typical of young musicians. Sorum's drumming sounds like a boring old man in comparison. Take Don't Cry for example... it's too mature on the record. A big part of that magic naïveté of the song is completely altered and lost. 

One of the factors that in my opinion also consumed GNR was the growing old... too fast. Too seriously. Something that's never really mentioned, but it's true. 

Edited by AncientEvil80

1 hour ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Civil War has the best drums (in terms of GNR sound) of the whole UYI double LP.... 

IMHO Steven's arrangement always felt "baby-like", it added that cartoonish vibe to the whole formula - typical of young musicians. Sorum's drumming sounds like a boring old man in comparison. Take Don't Cry for example... it's too mature on the record. A big part of that magic naïveté of the song is completely altered and lost. 

One of the factors that in my opinion also consumed GNR was the growing old... too fast. Too seriously. Something that's never really mentioned, but it's true. 

You have dog years which is about 7-1 then you have hard rock years which is about 10-1.

So crazy to think that my favorite band played locomotive and dead horse after decades and i can't go on youtube and watch even fan footage... for real, it is something i just can't wrap my head around. What in the actual fuck are they doing.