Film Thread

ssiscool

Recently watched both versions of Lolita. Lyne's version is probably the more faithful adaptation and unquestionably the creepier. It's not so much the subject matter, but the performances of Jeremy Irons and Dominique Swain; they have an absolutely haunting quality about them. It's not even supposed to be scary, but the film left me feeling really cold, depressed, and vulnerable. Eerie...

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently watched both versions of Lolita. Lyne's version is probably the more faithful adaptation and unquestionably the creepier. It's not so much the subject matter, but the performances of Jeremy Irons and Dominique Swain; they have an absolutely haunting quality about them. It's not even supposed to be scary, but the film left me feeling really cold, depressed, and vulnerable. Eerie...

Peter Sellars wins it for me...another case of that thing where i dont watch the second cuz the first was so good although i have a lot of time for Jeremy Irons so i might give it a bash :)

Peter Sellars wins it for me...another case of that thing where i dont watch the second cuz the first was so good although i have a lot of time for Jeremy Irons so i might give it a bash :)

The original is solid, but the level of censorship really keeps it from becoming what it should have been. I believe Kubrick even mentioned somewhere that he wouldn't have made it had he known how much he would have to compromise. Having said that, I'm glad he did 'cause Sue Lyon was an absolute fox in the title role.

Oh, and Ennio Morricone's score really puts over Lyne's film, too. I just had to mention that. Maybe that'll entice you further. :D

Peter Sellars wins it for me...another case of that thing where i dont watch the second cuz the first was so good although i have a lot of time for Jeremy Irons so i might give it a bash

The original is solid, but the level of censorship really keeps it from becoming what it should have been. I believe Kubrick even mentioned somewhere that he wouldn't have made it had he known how much he would have to compromise. Having said that, I'm glad he did 'cause Sue Lyon was an absolute fox in the title role.

Oh, and Ennio Morricone's score really puts over Lyne's film, too. I just had to mention that. Maybe that'll entice you further.

Been watching (or hearing rather) a lot of Morricone scores lately by sheer coincidence...White Dog, 120 Days Of Sodom...why mess up a good thing, i think i'll give it a whirl.

Re-Watched:

Jimmy The Gent (James Cagney) Yeah, thats where Scorsese got the idea ;)

Shake Hands With The Devil (James Cagney) About 'The Troubles' in Ireland.

What can i say, Jimmy Cagney was a fucking legend, one of the greatest actors all time that is responsible for establishing about Hollywood all the great un-mentioned things that draw us away from our cynicism and back to the theatres time and time again. Two fisted two footed straight punchin' fast hoofin' irish tough guy like the kind that dont exist anymore cept in these little ol' black and white Hollywood windows that i so love peekin' in.

Theres few actors, i can probably count em on the fingers of both hands out of the now probably thousands of movies i've seen in my life that i can honestly say i feel SO endeared to. He has em all, movies that make you laugh, movies that make you think, movies that get you in that weird place that humans can't describe so they call it their heart, movies with style...grace...pathos...just everything. Cagney fuckin had it all as far as i'm concerned.

And he did so much for actors in terms of being one of the founders of the Screen Actors Guild, one of the first actors to stick it to the studios and break it off, one of the first to walk out on shit, one of the first to dictate terms, "the proffessional againster" Jack Warner called him.

Whatever criticism people have of the studio system and its production line set up its a testament to the tenacity and talent of the actors that moved within that stifling framework that they managed to create so many fuckin gems, they're out there and its such a shame how little notice they get nowadays, people see them as these sort of charming anachronisms and watch them all too knowingly, which is a shame cuz if you look at em properly, without predudice you see how solid the actors were, how graceful they were just in a purely physical sense, how snappy and well written the dialogue was, how perfect the actors delivery of that dialogue was...tight...well rehearsed...just sheer brilliance.

But more than anything, all else aside, what i love most about Jimmy Cagney and indeed, any number of movies/actors/artists from that era...is that for an hour and a half (and sometimes less) you can just forget that theres a world out there and just be entertained :):) I know in this day and age amongst film purist that getting to near on an obscene notion but...i dunno, gimme a nickelodeon to a carrot cake theatre anyday :):):) or a multiplex for that matter...

cagney_james-6_12546.jpg

Ya hear that Ma?!?! Give it up he says!!! :xmasssanta:

Rewatched:

Taxi (James Cagney)

The one where he supposedly utters the famous "you doity raaatt". Which he doesnt. The closest he comes to it is "Come on out you yellow bellied rat or i'll give it'ya through the door". Classic movie :)

Doorway to Hell (James Cagney)

Early Cagney, pre-Public Enemy Cagney. Wonderful performance equalled only by Lew Ayers as Louie Ricarno, another legend. A forgotten gem if ever there was one :)

Also check out:

Dreams in the Witch-House

Cigarette Burns

Jennifer

Imprint

Deer Woman(Dark humor)

Pro-Life

The Black Cat.

Deer Woman is one of my favorites. When he's imagining who could have done it, and the crappy deer monster jumps out, I lost my shit. Because the cop, when imagining it, imagined it looking ridiculous.

I picked up the boxed set of season one a while back on amazon for like 30$. Not a bad deal at all.

He was only in Dance Of The Dead while MOH was on T.V.

In general though.

-Zombie Strippers

-2001 Maniac

-Jack Brooks Monster Slayer

-Hatchet

-Behind The Mask Of Leslie Vernon(Parody flick)

More of his recent work.

Also check out:

Dreams in the Witch-House

Cigarette Burns

Jennifer

Imprint

Deer Woman(Dark humor)

Pro-Life

The Black Cat.

Deer Woman is one of my favorites. When he's imagining who could have done it, and the crappy deer monster jumps out, I lost my shit. Because the cop, when imagining it, imagined it looking ridiculous.

I picked up the boxed set of season one a while back on amazon for like 30$. Not a bad deal at all.

Near the end when he realizes he let The Deer Woman in and the look on his face is priceless.

Edited by Spuffy78

In general though.

-Zombie Strippers

-2001 Maniac

-Hatchet

More of his recent work.

You must have forgot The Mangler. I know you wouldn't have left that out on purpose.

In general though.

-Zombie Strippers

-2001 Maniac

-Hatchet

More of his recent work.

Yeah, I was looking at the movies he was in on IMDB and saw he was only in one episode from MOH and I thought I'd ask what else of his I should check out.

I've got Zombie Strippers and JBMS on my PS3 right now, and I plan on downloading BTMOLV, 2001 Maniacs, and Hatchet soon.

Which of those is your favorite?

EDIT: Holy hell! I have to download The Mangler now!

Plot: A laundry folding machine is possessed by a demon from Hell.

Fucking great! :lol:

Edited by Black Sabbath

I can't pick my favorite but I'd rate them in this order.

2001 Maniacs

BTM

Zombie Strippers

JBMS(I fucking love monster Robert)

Hatchet.

I like Maniacs mainly for the fact it's seeing Robert doing the whole Redneck thing which he hasn't really done since his Kreuger days.

BTM is just awesome for him doing a amazing job of parodying Loomis.

Oh, and if you can find it the 89 Phantom Of The Opera he plays the Phantom.