Film Thread

ssiscool

Bitter Moon- Gets better every time I see it.

Blow Out - Classic DePalma

La femme nikita - excellent thriller.

The Fabulous Baker Boys - if you like smooth jazz and atmosphere, highly recommended.

Tequila Sunrise - my all time favorite film.

Spanish Prisoner - decent. pretty weak for a mamet film though.

The Departed - meh. Infernal Affairs was much better.

Existenz - awesome even if I hate jennifer jason leigh.

No Heat?

Fuck i forgot to put it on my list

I found TS a bit cheesy, departed was solid but not great,i haven't seen Blow out.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally rented out Cassandra's Dream. Eh. Never really cared much for handing Colin Farrell a leading role, but I still thought it would be sublime to see Woody Allen and Ewan McGregor working together. Not so. :(

<sigh> I'll adore him forever and I always hope for the best, but I've been disappointed with everything since Bullets over Broadway.

I finally caught up with Margot at the Wedding, which I unabashadly loved. Which places me in an extremely lonely minority, but what the hell.

I have never seen anyone with such a snobbish behaviour regarding movies while being a Buffy fan.

explain.

:lol: Most of the Buffy fans I know (or am friends with anyway), are total film snobs. Much worse than me. People who don't really know the show assume it was like Charmed or Smallville. It wasn't.

So you want to tell me that it is more than the usual *teenies can be strong too, don't take drugs and go to school sing a long bullshit*?

Yes, Jeanie. It was much, much more than that. :lol:

EDIT: Godamn Frank, way to demonstrate restraint! :P

explain.

Edited by JeanGenie

I finally got round to seeing Reservoir Dogs the other day, fantastic film.

Defenitely a classic.....how do you think it compares to Pulp Fiction?

In my Film Studies class I chose to study Reservoir Dogs as the macro assignment, I haven't seen the film in nearly 4 years so I put it on to study "A Tip For Breakfast" scene and the film as a whole is as good if not better than I remember it.

You know when you go a great deal of time without seeing a movie but you always hype it up to people when it's mentioned, which in turn causes you to set high expectations for the film incase you might not remember it as well

It's miles ahead of Pulp Fiction in my opinion, but again I find that film vastly overrated, perhaps I need to watch it again as I haven't watched that (or Jackie Brown) in a while. But I distinctly remember being let down in comparison to Reservoir Dogs.

Edited by Binge_And_Slash

No Heat?

I found TS a bit cheesy, departed was solid but not great,i haven't seen Blow out.

I thought this topic was about what films you've seen recently? I haven't seen HEAT in 2 weeks... :D

TS is a bit dated but it has all the main ingredients that I look for in a film. Escapism, atmosphere, strong visuals, snappy dialogue and a great score. I love Michelle Pfeiffer so that helps as well... B)

It's miles ahead of Pulp Fiction in my opinion, but again I find that film vastly overrated, perhaps I need to watch it again as I haven't watched that (or Jackie Brown) in a while. But I distinctly remember being let down in comparison to Reservoir Dogs.

I agree with Pulp Fiction being over rated, Jackie Brown is a much better film

No Heat?

I thought this topic was about what films you've seen recently? I haven't seen HEAT in 2 weeks... :D

TS is a bit dated but it has all the main ingredients that I look for in a film. Escapism, atmosphere, strong visuals, snappy dialogue and a great score. I love Michelle Pfeiffer so that helps as well... B)

The woman thats getting hotter as she ages.Check her out in I Am Sam.............. wow

Has anybody seen Mystic River with Sean Penn?, i loved that film, Penn at his very best

I think I actually preferred it to Pulp Fiction, Tarantino sure knows how to make a great film. The opening credits, the Breakfast scene, the Stuck In The Middle With You scene and the Mexican showdown ending are all brilliant. I'm probably going to watch it again tonight, pay more attention to details and stuff. :)

I adore Heat. I love the scene where McCauley's chasing Eadie up the hill when she's worked out who he is. It's early dawn, the lights are twinkling in the background and that shimmering piece of music plays.

Id find it hard to not have Heat as my number one, visually stunning, great acting without a hint of ego,I would have liked Tom Sizemore to have played a bigger role but Val Kilmer really shone in this role,Ive never liked Moby but his song at the end is just perfect.For me Its Manns finest work though Manhunter is up there.Red Dragon isn't even close to being a good remake of this film.

I adore Heat. I love the scene where McCauley's chasing Eadie up the hill when she's worked out who he is. It's early dawn, the lights are twinkling in the background and that shimmering piece of music plays.

That was a great scene. I believe the music is Moby...The visual style in that film is borrowed quite a bit from Mann's 80's work in Miami Vice, Manhunter and Thief.

He is a master of combing ethereal visuals with an ambient score...

I think I actually preferred it to Pulp Fiction, Tarantino sure knows how to make a great film. The opening credits, the Breakfast scene, the Stuck In The Middle With You scene and the Mexican showdown ending are all brilliant. I'm probably going to watch it again tonight, pay more attention to details and stuff. :)

Try and find out who shot Nice Guy Eddie.

I reckon logically it's gotta be Mr Orange. But he wasn't pointing a gun at him during the Mexican Standoff. But he coulda done it quickly I suppose.

Id find it hard to not have Heat as my number one, visually stunning, great acting without a hint of ego,I would have liked Tom Sizemore to have played a bigger role but Val Kilmer really shone in this role,Ive never liked Moby but his song at the end is just perfect.For me Its Manns finest work though Manhunter is up there.Red Dragon isn't even close to being a good remake of this film.

Manhunter gets so much shit from a lot of people because it's so emblematic of it's time visually (the miami vice look). The movie is great and I prefer the subtle Hannibal Lector of this film to the showy Anthony Hopkins version. Definitely one of his best. Red Dragon was worthless.

Val Kilmer as you can tell from my avatar is my favorite actor in Heat. I wish he didn't turn down Jamie Foxx's role in Collateral.

Manhunter is so over rated, i agree about Lector, Brian Cox's Lector is a much more sinister and complex villain but also more charming, for me Hopkins hammed up Lector.When i watched Red Dragon i didn't find Fiennes scary but Tom Noonan was menacing and very dark.

I don't think you can understand the true nature of the whole package without watching Manhunter.

I didn't know he turned that role down, funny thing is its Tom cruises best performance in a long time but i felt with different actors it could have been much better, visually it reminded me of Harsh Times which is no bad thing considering i enjoyed it a lot.I can't help but wonder how much better it could have been with Christian Bale ( an actor i love watching ) instead of cruise

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

That was a great scene. I believe the music is Moby...The visual style in that film is borrowed quite a bit from Mann's 80's work in Miami Vice, Manhunter and Thief.

He is a master of combing ethereal visuals with an ambient score...

There really isnt enough words to describe just how great of a movie Heat is, it's epic in scope but treats it's characters so delicately.

Moby really delivered on that film. God Moving Over The Face Of The Water is one of my favorite end themes and his cover of the Joy Division song New Dawn Fades is incredible. Watching Hannah race down the highway after McCaully while that plays is just breathtaking for me.

I don't know of too many other movies that work on that many levels.

I reckon logically it's gotta be Mr Orange. But he wasn't pointing a gun at him during the Mexican Standoff. But he coulda done it quickly I suppose.

Mr. White gets off two shots. Pause it frame by frame and you'll see.

God Moving Over The Face Of Water by Moby, anybody who likes the music should check out Auto Rock by Mogwai..... very moving music

If you like the Moby track you will love Auto Rock

Nice one. If you like that kind of ambient music, I'd highly recommend Lisa Gerard's work in The Insider soundtrack.

My favorite track from Heat is "Mystery Man" by Terje Rypdal.

Bitter Moon- Gets better every time I see it.

Blow Out - Classic DePalma

La femme nikita - excellent thriller.

The Fabulous Baker Boys - if you like smooth jazz and atmosphere, highly recommended.

Tequila Sunrise - my all time favorite film.

Spanish Prisoner - decent. pretty weak for a mamet film though.

The Departed - meh. Infernal Affairs was much better.

Existenz - awesome even if I hate jennifer jason leigh.

Welcome back, Sly, haven't seen you around in a while.

Sly since you obviously adore Mann's stuff you should see To Live And Die In LA if you havent already. It wasnt directed by Mann but rather William Friedkin (The Exorcist, French Connection) but it was so influenced by the asthetics of Miami Vice that Mann sued Friedkin, and lost.

Edited by appetite4illusions

There really isnt enough words to describe just how great of a movie Heat is, it's epic in scope but treats it's characters so delicately.

Moby really delivered on that film. God Moving Over The Face Of The Water is one of my favorite end themes and his cover of the Joy Division song New Dawn Fades is incredible. Watching Hannah race down the highway after McCaully while that plays is just breathtaking for me.

Yeah it's definitely one of those movies where the stars aligned perfectly. What makes the movie great for me is the synergy between his shot composition and Dante Spinotti's cinematography. They complement each other incredibly well.

The only thing that doesn't quite work for me is the ending. It's a little hollywoodish. I would have let the thief kill the cop. It would have kept with Mann's trademark nihilism.

Sly since you obviously adore Mann's stuff you should see To Live And Die In LA if you havent already. It wasnt directed by Mann but rather William Friedkin (The Exorcist, French Connection) but it was so influenced by the asthetics of Miami Vice that Mann sued Friedkin, and lost.

Hmm...this movie has a cult following but for some reason it didn't quite work for me. Maybe I need to rewatch it again. I loved the car chase and that high glamor late 80's atmosphere...but the plot and characters left me a bit cold. I'm not a big Friedkin fan either...he fell off in a big way after the 70's...

I did enjoy Jade though in a trashy guilty pleasure way.... :P

Kasanova: Thanks bud...

Edited by SylvesterStallone

Yeah it's definitely one of those movies where the stars aligned perfectly. What makes the movie great for me is the synergy between his shot composition and Dante Spinotti's cinematography. They complement each other incredibly well.

The only thing that doesn't quite work for me is the ending. It's a little hollywoodish. I would have let the thief kill the cop. It would have kept with Mann's trademark nihilism.

The ending always made me wonder just how much respect there really was, i know Pacino holds his hand as he dies but i couldn't help thinking it should have been the other way round,people talk about De niro and Pacino but fuck the film had John Voight in it, a pure legend.

I only found out recently that he was Angelina Jolie's father

I think it's White, if you watch closely in slo-mo Joe pops Mr. Orange, Mr. White shoots Joe and Eddie shoots Mr. White, then as White's falling he spins his gun around and gets off another shot at Eddie.

Edited by UseYourAppetite