Film Thread

ssiscool

Has anybody seen "Little Children"?? Good movie with a good sex scene with Kate Winslet of "Titanic" fame. Its hard to explain the premise but I recommend it. The last 20 minutes, I didn't know what the hell was gonna happen.

See this movie!

It's a very, very good movie which would be great if not for the voice over narration. The acting is of such a high calibre that it renders it redundant. But that's my only fault with it. It's a wonderful film.

Darkstar - What is so great about TWBB? The screenplay is magnificent. The acting is sublime. And not just DDL (although he's phenonemal). Paul Dano is amazing, the somewhat unsettling little kid is amazing, everyone steps up. The direction is brilliant. The music is brilliant. All round, it's just glorious.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is so GREAT about there will be blood? please, enlighten me people.

Paul Thomas Anderson & Daniel Day Lewis.

There are 3 filmmakers I will never understand the mountain of hype for. PTA, Wes Anderson, and Paul Greengrass. They are technically proficient and clearly seem to have a very loyal and ardent fanbase...but none of their films have really appealed to me...I liked most of PTA's films and Greengrass' but Wes Anderson seems to be an acquired taste...

There are 3 filmmakers I will never understand the mountain of hype for. PTA, Wes Anderson, and Paul Greengrass. They are technically proficient and clearly seem to have a very loyal and ardent fanbase...but none of their films have really appealed to me...I liked most of PTA's films and Greengrass' but Wes Anderson seems to be an acquired taste...

Uwe Bowl? :rofl-lol:

Uwe Bowl? :rofl-lol:

Love the guy. Can't wait for his next dtv opus... :D

Wes Anderson seems to be an acquired taste.

He does seem mildly overrated. I didn't think Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums were particularly worthy of their reputations, but he's good at writing understated humor with a certain sense of irony. If anything, he provides a nice antidote to the traditional Hollywood comedy..

-Kickingthehabit

He does seem mildly overrated. I didn't think Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums were particularly worthy of their reputations, but he's good at writing understated humor with a certain sense of irony. If anything, he provides a nice antidote to the traditional Hollywood comedy..

-Kickingthehabit

I think the problem with Wes Anderson is that so many indie kids hype him up as a "brilliant director" - when he's really not.

Rushmore was funny, Royal Tenenbaums was amusing, Life Aquatic was interesting - and I like the work he's done - but he's not some kind of revelatory wonder. And, frankly, his style is starting to become a bit repetitive - he needs to try some new stuff. I like his films so far, but he's basically copying quirky French cinema and indie kids are eating it up. I know one guy who's obsessed with his work and thinks he's astounding. I just think he's good, but overrated.

-Kickingthehabit

I think the problem with Wes Anderson is that so many indie kids hype him up as a "brilliant director" - when he's really not.

Rushmore was funny, Royal Tenenbaums was amusing, Life Aquatic was interesting - and I like the work he's done - but he's not some kind of revelatory wonder. And, frankly, his style is starting to become a bit repetitive - he needs to try some new stuff. I like his films so far, but he's basically copying quirky French cinema and indie kids are eating it up. I know one guy who's obsessed with his work and thinks he's astounding. I just think he's good, but overrated.

As an Anderson devotee, I think that's a fair assessment.

wasted: Yeah, it's sweet.

-Kickingthehabit

Ahh indie film snobs...say no more. I liked Rushmore, but with Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic...my eyes began to glaze over.

KTH, you aren't kidding...his humor sure is of the understated variety. I see what his appeal is but I suppose if I want that kind of ironic quirky comedy I'll just turn to John Waters' old films...

Have you guys seen The Darjeeling limited? I know Angelica has probably.... :D Is it worth checking out?

-Kickingthehabit

Ahh indie film snobs...say no more. I liked Rushmore, but with Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic...my eyes began to glaze over.

KTH, you aren't kidding...his humor sure is of the understated variety. I see what his appeal is but I suppose if I want that kind of ironic quirky comedy I'll just turn to John Waters' old films...

Have you guys seen The Darjeeling limited? I know Angelica has probably.... :D Is it worth checking out?

I'd say yes, but I think that about all his stuff and you may disagree. Certainly it's vastly preferable to Life Aquatic, which I wasn't crazy about.

well, I went out and bought all the hannibal movies.. Hannibal rising, Red Dragon, silence of the lambs and Hannibal.. so now I have the whole series.. freakin sweet.. i'm really excited about it.. now I can wtach it all day..

And I bought the Last Samurai.. whic.. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise.. but I love this movie... I have always been into the Japanese culture, especially in the day of the samurai.. and this movie, if you havent seen it, is freakin awesome..

Edited by oogieboogieman420

Just watched Die Hard and Die hard 2 straight after eachother and damn they are cool. Die Hard 3 later tonight and Die Hard 4.0 tommorow.

In rank order of my preference:

1. Die Hard

2. Die Hard with a Vengeance

3. Live Free or Die Hard

4. Die Hard 2: Die Harder

so far i've seen 3 and i got:

1. Die Hard

2. Die Hard 2: Die Harder

3. Die Hard with a Vengance

Just watched Die Hard and Die hard 2 straight after eachother and damn they are cool. Die Hard 3 later tonight and Die Hard 4.0 tommorow.

1. Die Hard

3. Live Free or Die Hard

I would switch Die hard 4 and Die Hard 2 but pretty much anyone would agree Die Hard 1 and 3 are the good films in the franchise. Both 2 and 4 are weak..but for me 2 has more repeat value. It also feels more like a die hard film than Die Hard 4...

1. Die Hard

3. Live Free or Die Hard

I would switch Die hard 4 and Die Hard 2 but pretty much anyone would agree Die Hard 1 and 3 are the good films in the franchise. Both 2 and 4 are weak..but for me 2 has more repeat value. It also feels more like a die hard film than Die Hard 4...

Funny, my favourites are 1 and 2, then 4 then 3. I hated 3. 1 and 2 feel more like Die Hard movies because they've got the whole, 1 man, stuck in a building (or airport) vs a shitload of terrorists, 4 and 3 just didn't have it.

1. Die Hard

3. Live Free or Die Hard

Funny, my favourites are 1 and 2, then 4 then 3. I hated 3. 1 and 2 feel more like Die Hard movies because they've got the whole, 1 man, stuck in a building (or airport) vs a shitload of terrorists, 4 and 3 just didn't have it.

It's called a film motif, and yes, one and two adhere to the Die Hard structure very well. The first one set up a basis that only the second truly succeeded in following. One man against an army of terrorists, in a somewhat isolated enviroment, on christmas night, somehow involving the saftey of his wife. Add that the second one brought back alot of familar faces so it still felt like it took place in the Die Hard universe. The third film and especially the fourth stray too far from the series for me to see them as anything but other movies with the name Die Hard on it.

People praise the third as the best but I honestly never dug it as a Die Hard movie, just a good Bruce Willis/Sam Jackson action flick. Jeremy Irons didn't really do it for me as Han's brother either (typical idea anyway), maybe Gary Oldman would have done something more worthy of Alan Rickman's sibling. It works better as a Lethal Weapon with three different endings then a Die Hard.

Edited by appetite4illusions

Just got done watching a great gem from the early nineties.

state-of-grace-276.jpg

State Of Grace is a movie more people need to see, a largely overlooked crime drama. Penn, Harris, Oldman, Robin Wright, Turturro, John C. Reily. The amount of talent in this film is immense.

Edited by appetite4illusions