Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who here liked the new Halloween? I liked it a lot. Really thought it was done well.

I haven't seen it, but from what I heard, it sounds like shit.

IMO, you heard correctly.

Never see it. I only wish I could go back in time and warn myself.

If you ever figure out how, take me with you. I'm afraid I'll never be able to look at Michael Myers again without seeing that fat androgynous blonde kid. Zombie ruined my favorite childhood boogeyman. :(

Edited by Angelica

No Oscar bitching yet? Happy about Bardem, concerned that Tilda Swinton's win forshadows other victories for Michael Clayton.

I felt Amy Ryan deserved it more then Tilda Swinton, but MC just connected with critics better.

I feel Cate Blanchett deserved it more than both of them. But I would have preferred Ryan over Swinton.

Didn't see that coming.

Swinton's a creep in real life, her acting is kind of stale to me - I would have preferred to see Blanchett or Ryan win that.

Exactly.

Edited by Angelica

No Oscar bitching yet? Happy about Bardem, concerned that Tilda Swinton's win forshadows other victories for Michael Clayton.

Didn't see that coming.

Swinton's a creep in real life, her acting is kind of stale to me - I would have preferred to see Blanchett or Ryan win that.

Blanchett is the best actress going and should have won. I loved "I'm Not There" but you have to know quite a bit about Dylan for it to make sense.

It's too bad Hal Holbrook didn't win either. Into The Wild got screwed. It's a fucking joke that Michael Clayton got nominated over Into The Wild and Before The Devil Knows Your Dead.

Edited by Randy Lahey

So far most of my predictions have been correct - I never get into the stuff like costume design but supporting actor, set design, literary adaptation, animated feature, etc. have all been right. My only error was betting on Blanchett over Swinton.

I think Day-Lewis will get Best Actor, Coens will get Director (if P.T. doesn't pull a big upset). My logic tells me No Country will win Best Picture but something in my gut says Juno (I hope it's the former, because the idea of Juno winning Best Picture makes me a bit ill). It seems like one of those "Oscar pictures," more so than No Country. I think There Will Be Blood is better than both but is a bit too "strange" for the more traditional Academy voters. Likewise, logic tells me Julie Christie will win Best Actress, but I'm leaning more towards Ellen Page because the Academy always likes discovering new talent and building them up and then tearing them down years later.

Didn't see that coming.

Blanchett is the best actress going and should have won. I loved "I'm Not There" but you have to know quite a bit about Dylan for it to make sense.

It's too bad Hal Holbrook didn't win either. Into The Wild got screwed. It's a fucking joke that Michael Clayton got nominated over Into The Wild and Before The Devil Knows Your Dead.

Oh, god bless you. Into the Wild, The Assassination of Jesse James, Zodiac and Control would all have been more deserving. If MC wins best film, and/or Clooney wins best actor...I will be very upset. :(

EDIT: Another suprise. I wanted Page to get it, just because both Cotillard and Christie did a little too much ACTING! for me.

Edited by Angelica

Emile Hirsch should have been nominated and given the award for best actor in my opinion.

He should have been nominated (along with the film and Penn). But the award belongs to Day-Lewis, IMO. And how was Sam Riley snubbed? I think George Clooney is an awesome dude, but FFS...

Didn't see that coming.

Oh, god bless you. Into the Wild, The Assassination of Jesse James, Zodiac and Control would all have been more deserving. If MC wins best film, and/or Clooney wins best actor...I will be very upset. :(

EDIT: Another suprise. I wanted Page to get it, just because both Collitard and Christie did a little too much ACTING! for me.

Zodiac should have been nominated for cinematography, set decoration, director, and possibly best supporting actor for Downey. Amongst other awards. I'm sure there could be other technical nominations (editing, etc.) because it was really superb on almost all levels.

Just from that clip they showed, Collitard way over-acted and it looked like the typical sort of performance the Academy eats up. I didn't want Page to win, though, either, so I don't really care one way or another.

I only really care at this point about the three remaining big categories - direction, best actor and best picture.

I'm going for Coens, Day-Lewis and Juno. But I have a feeling P.T. could pull an upset and No Country could easily go for Best Picture. I just think that, given how many categories No Country is nominated for, I'm not sure it'll get best picture...

Didn't see that coming.

EDIT: Another suprise. I wanted Page to get it, just because both Collitard and Christie did a little too much ACTING! for me.

Zodiac should have been nominated for cinematography, set decoration, director, and possibly best supporting actor for Downey. Amongst other awards. I'm sure there could be other technical nominations (editing, etc.) because it was really superb on almost all levels.

Just from that clip they showed, Collitard way over-acted and it looked like the typical sort of performance the Academy eats up. I didn't want Page to win, though, either, so I don't really care one way or another.

I only really care at this point about the three remaining big categories - direction, best actor and best picture.

I'm going for Coens, Day-Lewis and Juno. But I have a feeling P.T. could pull an upset and No Country could easily go for Best Picture. I just think that, given how many categories No Country is nominated for, I'm not sure it'll get best picture...

I'm betting Coens, Day-Lewis and as much as I hope I'm wrong, Clayton. TWBB was easily the best film of the year, but I'd be fine with No Country or Juno winning. Atonement, not so much and Clayton, not at all.