Film Thread

ssiscool

reminded me of this

Nicholson: You just made it big time.

Nicky Dimes: You're no longer an extra...

Nicholson: ...or a bit player...

Nicky Dimes: ...or a supporting actor...

Nicholson: ...you're a fucking star. You are a fucking star. And you are going to be playing your one-man show for the next two fucking years for a captive audience. And listen to this, you get out in a few years and meet some old lady, get married, and you'll be so understanding to your wife's needs because you'll know what it feels like to be a woman.

Nicky Dimes: Of course, you'll only want to fuck her in the ass because that pussy wont be tight enough anymore.

Nicholson: Good one detective, right you fucking hooray for tolerance!?!

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any fans of Strange Days around here? It's one of those movies I really love but don't know anyone else who feels the same. It was a gigantic bomb when it was released, and it's yet to develop the kind of cult following it deserves. It's hugely flawed but equally magnificent.

Anyone?

Any fans of Strange Days around here? It's one of those movies I really love but don't know anyone else who feels the same. It was a gigantic bomb when it was released, and it's yet to develop the kind of cult following it deserves. It's hugely flawed but equally magnificent.

Anyone?

I had a slight problem with the ending, but otherwise- god yes! I don't know how that tanked. :unsure: It's got enough action to appeal to the blockbuster audience, a futuristic edge for the tech geeks, and it's one of the sparse instances of truly intelligent science fiction in film. Win/win/win.

Edited by nameless_girl

Wasn't Strange Days directed by Katherine Bigelow who did Point Break?

Indeed it was.

The screenplay was also written by her ex husband James Cameron who had a hand in producing her movies.

I thought there were lots of cool stuff about Strange Days. The POV shots were groundbreaking, the cinematography was top notch, and it had two of my favorite character actors in it: Sizemore & Michael Wincott. That said, the story kicked in and out for me, and I really lost interest at the ending. But I appreciate it because I can feel that Cameron touch, he had a big role shaping the movie.

Edited by appetite4illusions

Indeed it was.

The screenplay was also written by her ex husband James Cameron who had a hand in producing her movies.

I thought there were lots of cool stuff about Strange Days. The POV shots were groundbreaking, the cinematography was top notch, and it had two of my favorite character actors in it: Sizemore & Michael Wincott. That said, the story kicked in and out for me, and I really lost interest at the ending. But I appreciate it because I can feel that Cameron touch, he had a big role shaping the movie.

Strange Days was a very stylish movie. Ralph Fiennes is the man. I think Kathryn Bigelow had a lot of visual flair and the story was intriguing. The actual film is pretty decent, the plot doesn't really work but it's all about the visuals. I was a big fan of the soundtrack for this movie. Great music.

Indeed it was.

It was sort of a pre-millenium movie. So after to big 00 it didn't have that much resonance. It was like a Philip K. Dick book - maybe it was.

I think I saw Exotica (Dir: Atom Egoyan) and Strange Days on the same night.

I think Kathryn Bigelow had a lot of visual flair and the story was intriguing.

She has a potentially great modern war movie called 'The Hurt Locker' wrapped up in post production. It has an awesome cast and has gotten great praise from those who have seen it. She has a great eye for action and this looks like best war flick since Black Hawk Down.

Just got done watching a great gem from the early nineties.

state-of-grace-276.jpg

State Of Grace is a movie more people need to see, a largely overlooked crime drama. Penn, Harris, Oldman, Robin Wright, Turturro, John C. Reily. The amount of talent in this film is immense.

Solid film. Oldman is unbelievable. The only gripe I have is with the end. It's just too easy, too Hollywood. I mean, take some chances and be creative. The generic cheeseball ending is what keeps it from being great.

Anyone?

I had a slight problem with the ending, but otherwise- god yes! I don't know how that tanked. :unsure: It's got enough action to appeal to the blockbuster audience, a futuristic edge for the tech geeks, and it's one of the sparse instances of truly intelligent science fiction in film. Win/win/win.

Exactly! And also how godamn eerie the Jeriko One plot is, considering the movie was released almost exactly a year before Tupac was assassinated in what many believe to have been a police related shooting. That it tanked doesn't puzzle me as much as the fact that's it's still so unsung.

I think I saw Exotica (Dir: Atom Egoyan) and Strange Days on the same night.

Oh lord, Exotica...:wub: :wub: :wub:

exoticabox.jpg

This film is absolute brilliance. It's not a common occurence for something to completely floor me, but this did the job. My favourite movie of all time and I hope it gets the Criterion treatment soon.

I suggest fans check out The Sweet Hereafter also by Atom Egoyan. A lot of critics consider it to be the superior masterpiece, but I standby Exotica. He also did an amazing picture about the Armenian genocide in Turkey that has basically been erased from the history books and is unacknowledged by most countries to this day. He takes a very unique approach to telling the story that you won't find in any Hollywood film. Surreal stuff.

exoticabox.jpg

This film is absolute brilliance. It's not a common occurence for something to completely floor me, but this did the job. My favourite movie of all time and I hope it gets the Criterion treatment soon.

I suggest fans check out The Sweet Hereafter also by Atom Egoyan. A lot of critics consider it to be the superior masterpiece, but I standby Exotica. He also did an amazing picture about the Armenian genocide in Turkey that has basically been erased from the history books and is unacknowledged by most countries to this day. He takes a very unique approach to telling the story that you won't find in any Hollywood film. Surreal stuff.

I agree with everything you just said. I am a huge fan of Egoyan's, and I consider Exotica his masterwork. It is utterly, indescribably exquisite. :heart:

exoticabox.jpg

I agree with everything you just said. I am a huge fan of Egoyan's, and I consider Exotica his masterwork. It is utterly, indescribably exquisite. :heart:

It takes a special kind of person to share those sentiments and it means a lot to me, personally. I love your taste. :wub:

It was rubbish!

The last weeks I've seen No Country For Old Men, and Sweeney Todd.

Both were great, but Sweeney Todd was class! Burton+Depp is a recipe which doesn't fail.

Finally Depp did something great, compare to the shitty Pirate-movies.

Edited by Raw Power

During the suspension I've seen these:

No Country for Old Men x2 - 8/10

Die Hard 3 - 5/10

Leon - 10/10

The Doors - 7/10

Lord of War - 8/10

Dogma - 7/10

Braindead - 4/10

1408 - 6/10

Sweeney Todd - 8/10

The Invasion - 5/10

The Ninth Gate - 7/10

Freddy vs. Jason - 4/10

Planet Terror - 6/10

Death Proof - 8/10

A Clockwork Orange - 10/10

Spartacus - 9/10

Daddy & Them - 6/10

The Bourne Identity - 3/10

Miller's Crossing - 7/10

And a fuckload of Sopranos episodes from season 2, 3 and 4. :)