Film Thread

ssiscool

Saw Stephen King's IT recently. Good film, but what the fuck? A spider?! :laugh:

You just ruined a great book.

I just watched the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford. I thought it was awesome, i loved how it was sort of about celebrity and peoples fascination with famous people, like robert ford could be some obsessive axl rose fan fom this website. Was a great film that tht really made u think.

Along with There Will Be Blood and Into the Wild, that was my favorite film of '07. It's entirely superb.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw 2010,enjoyed it more than 2001

Really? Never would have seen that coming.

hehe,don't make the same mistake you made once before :laugh:

And seriously,2001 is a 2,5 hour bore(the book was better at explaining what was going on),the sequel actually had some sort of a cohesive storyline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio...A_Space_Odyssey

oh yeah,that makes the movie great when I have to read about it for it to make sense.

And like I said previously the book is faar better than the movie,because of the fact that it doesn't sacrifice plot and characters(damn Keir Dullea looks so creepy) for special effects.

You're missing the point. Again. :rolleyes:

You don't have to read anything to have the film "make sense" - those theories weren't presented by Kubrick in some book written after the fact; those are ideas people have come up with from viewing the film. You can come up with your own theories, or you can take initiative afterwards and research other people's if you feel like it (but obviously it's not required).

The point is this - are you ready? The film makes you think. Wow, what a concept. Peter Hyams (End of Days) directed 2010. Hyams is one of the most talentless directors in the history of cinema, and you may very well be the only person I've ever heard even attempt to argue that 2010 is in any way superior to 2001. You're saying the guy who made Timecop and The Musketeer made a better film than Kubrick? Wow. But it seems like your only basis for this argument is: 2010 is simpler, doesn't require as much thought or analysis, and is therefore more entertaining.

saw 2010,enjoyed it more than 2001

Really? Never would have seen that coming.

hehe,don't make the same mistake you made once before :laugh:

And seriously,2001 is a 2,5 hour bore(the book was better at explaining what was going on),the sequel actually had some sort of a cohesive storyline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio...A_Space_Odyssey

oh yeah,that makes the movie great when I have to read about it for it to make sense.

And like I said previously the book is faar better than the movie,because of the fact that it doesn't sacrifice plot and characters(damn Keir Dullea looks so creepy) for special effects.

You're missing the point. Again. :rolleyes:

You don't have to read anything to have the film "make sense" - those theories weren't presented by Kubrick in some book written after the fact; those are ideas people have come up with from viewing the film. You can come up with your own theories, or you can take initiative afterwards and research other people's if you feel like it (but obviously it's not required).

The point is this - are you ready? The film makes you think. Wow, what a concept. Peter Hyams (End of Days) directed 2010. Hyams is one of the most talentless directors in the history of cinema, and you may very well be the only person I've ever heard even attempt to argue that 2010 is in any way superior to 2001. You're saying the guy who made Timecop and The Musketeer made a better film than Kubrick? Wow. But it seems like your only basis for this argument is: 2010 is simpler, doesn't require as much thought or analysis, and is therefore more entertaining.

I agree that this movie makes you think.This movie has so many stretches where nothing happens ,so naturally the brain starts to wonder(kudos for Kubrick for actually using suitable music pieces,otherwise half the theathre would be asleep by the end of the movie).Well we should thank current Hollywood that in this time nobody would produce a movie where you could just as easily skip the first 3/4 of the movie and miss absolutely nothing.

This movie reminds me of the first Star Trek movie(which probably took a lot of cues from 2001) in this movie is only special effects scenes.Anybody who actually considers the Infinite part to be genius must really be stoned out of their mind or just have an unhealthy obsession about philosophy.

Well I wont go and start complaining Hyams to Kubrick (Timecop was not bad though),but for anybody who is looking for a good sci-fi story read 2001 and then 2010(which is a better book),if it weren't for the novels,I wouldn't have bothered watching 2010.

2010 the movie is more "entertaining"(which you make it sound like a curse word) because there are warmer characters,a better plot and unlike 2001,who just raises questions and in the end says "f*** it,you figure it out",2010 tries to actually make sense of the mess.

Now I'm off to watching Armageddon,which is stupider than 2001,but arguably more "entertaining".

Saw Stephen King's IT recently. Good film, but what the fuck? A spider?! :laugh:

How so?

Just that u watched the movie without reading the book so u kinda know what happens in the book now.

It's an excellent book, my favorite piece of King literature, but I read it years after I saw the movie and it didn't curb my enjoyment. The movie was three hours, the book was something like seven hundred pages, there's still alot to digest.

How so?

Just that u watched the movie without reading the book so u kinda know what happens in the book now.

I see, but what the hell.

tropicthunderpuba.jpg

'Tropic Thunder' is a movie right up my alley.

I have a special taste for Veitnam war flicks and I'm sure I'll enjoy this campy little spoof of the Hollywood system.

Not only to mention the amount of talent in this film, but I'll be paying to see Robert Downey Jr. play a black soldier and Tom Cruise as a morbidly obese film studio head.

This film, will rule.

Guest banaszkiewicz
Picked up The Pursuit of Happyness on the way back from school, watching it now. Seems like it was well worth the money, it has a great message.

one of my favourite movies of all time!

howd you enjoy it?

jeez man, i wanna give chris gardner the biggest hug known to man

he deserves it

There is way too much love on here for substantive films (I'm not talking about Pursuit of Mediocrity here) and dramas. What the fuck. Forget the art for a second, film as a medium is about escapism.

Anyone seen Showgirls recently? It's hilarious and touching. One woman's brave journey into the unknown world of striptease...it's really quite bold and poignant. There is some profound subtext there behind the T/A. It's Verhoeven's trademark sleaze and exploitation distilled into it's trashiest essence. Sheer brilliance. Follow that up with the x-rated cut of Robocop and end with Conan the Barbarian. It's a guaranteed shot in the arm for anyone who is sick and tired of lousy limp dick oscar bait...

If you are a fan of thrillers and enjoy a nice mindfuck here and there check out : Dot The I w/ Gael Garcia (who rules), Primer, and Intacto. You will not be disappointed...

There is way too much love on here for substantive films (I'm not talking about Pursuit of Mediocrity here) and dramas. What the fuck. Forget the art for a second, film as a medium is about escapism.

Anyone seen Showgirls recently? It's hilarious and touching. One woman's brave journey into the unknown world of striptease...it's really quite bold and poignant. There is some profound subtext there behind the T/A. It's Verhoeven's trademark sleaze and exploitation distilled into it's trashiest essence. Sheer brilliance. Follow that up with the x-rated cut of Robocop and end with Conan the Barbarian. It's a guaranteed shot in the arm for anyone who is sick and tired of lousy limp dick oscar bait...

If you are a fan of thrillers and enjoy a nice mindfuck here and there check out : Dot The I w/ Gael Garcia (who rules), Primer, and Intacto. You will not be disappointed...

Showgirls is one of my fav movies. Love the aqua-fuck scene. Verhoven is underated, he's excessive but fun.

Okay, a non-substantive film recommendation - Streets of Fire. Dafoe! Paxton! Teenage Diane Lane! Moranis! Pare! So bad it's magnificent. I really do love it to death. :wub:

Oh. My. God. Someone besides me who is a fan of this minor classic? :oI can dream about you is one of my favorite vintage 80's pop songs. I don't care what anyone says, Willem Dafoe's villain was menacing and Diane Lane melted me into soft butter. The movie is a train wreck, but oh my is it a hoot.

I love the whole opening and end sequences where Diane Lane lip synchs some god awful 80's songs. Gaaahhh...so bad. :lol:

Showgirls is one of my fav movies. Love the aqua-fuck scene. Verhoven is underated, he's excessive but fun.

I like directors who take risks and thumb their nose at the establishment. There are industry darlings like Spielberg and Ron Howard and then there are mavericks like Verhoeven. Give me the latter any day of the week.

Okay, a non-substantive film recommendation - Streets of Fire. Dafoe! Paxton! Teenage Diane Lane! Moranis! Pare! So bad it's magnificent. I really do love it to death. :wub:

Oh. My. God. Someone besides me who is a fan of this minor classic? :oI can dream about you is one of my favorite vintage 80's pop songs. I don't care what anyone says, Willem Dafoe's villain was menacing and Diane Lane melted me into soft butter. The movie is a train wreck, but oh my is it a hoot.

I love the whole opening and end sequences where Diane Lane lip synchs some god awful 80's songs. Gaaahhh...so bad. :lol:

But so awesone! Every lame action sequence, every groan inducing line of dialogue, every retarded directorial flourish! I love it all. The only non guilty pleasure is Ry Cooder's instrumental score, which is superb.

But so awesone! Every lame action sequence, every groan inducing line of dialogue, every retarded directorial flourish! I love it all. The only non guilty pleasure is Ry Cooder's instrumental score, which is superb.

Most definitely. I actually own this film on dvd... :rofl-lol: It's hard to believe at the time Walter Hill was considered to be one of the world's greatest action directors and Spielberg was a frequent visitor to this film's set....I wish there was a sequel though....the further adventures of Tom Cody and Doc...there were so many possibilities Angelica... :no:

Have you seen Better off Dead w/ John Cusack? Looking at your sig, I think that might be right up your alley...along with a healthy dose of Parker Lewis can't Lose.

I like directors who take risks and thumb their nose at the establishment. There are industry darlings like Spielberg and Ron Howard and then there are mavericks like Verhoeven. Give me the latter any day of the week.

Yeah, Apollo 13 sucked. Spielberg is a little boring. Did he do BMX Bandits?

John Woo's Hard Target, Broken Arrow and Face/Off rule.

Most definitely. I actually own this film on dvd... :rofl-lol: It's hard to believe at the time Walter Hill was considered to be one of the world's greatest action directors and Spielberg was a frequent visitor to this film's set....I wish there was a sequel though....the further adventures of Tom Cody and Doc...there were so many possibilities Angelica... :no:

Have you seen Better off Dead w/ John Cusack? Looking at your sig, I think that might be right up your alley...along with a healthy dose of Parker Lewis can't Lose.

I actually own the fucking soundtrack (the lame ass songs, not the score). And the DVD. :lol:

I love Better off Dead, as I love most 80s teen comedies. I remember watching Parker Lewis on occaison many, many years ago. I haven't seen it since, but IIRC, it was genuinely witty.

I love Verhoeven. Anyone seen Black Book?

Edited by Angelica