Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched a history of violence, fucking great film...vigo on top form in that one

Sounds interesting, whats it about?

its about a guy, your average joe...wife two kids etc played by viggo mortinsen, then some incidents happen and basically his violent past comes back, which he has shielded from his family. I wont give it all away, pretty much have now though lool definately worth a watch...rotten tomatoes website gave it like 88% i think.

just watched a history of violence, fucking great film...vigo on top form in that one

whats it about?

The history of violence.

dwpe1w.jpg

Seriously though: Click

No, its not very hard at all. In fact, lets never ask anybody about anything ever again. After, what can't you google these days? Maybe instead of a clinical synopsis and little piece on how well the movie was or wasn't recieved, i'd like the simple straightforward in laymens terms opinion of someone whoose taste in movies i respect.

But fuck all that...after all, we have goooooglleee :xmassrudolph:

Edited by dirtylenny

whats it about?

The history of violence.

dwpe1w.jpg

No, its not very hard at all. In fact, lets never ask anybody about anything ever again. After, what can't you google these days? Maybe instead of a clinical synopsis and little piece on how well the movie was or wasn't recieved, i'd like the simple straightforward in laymens terms opinion of someone whoose taste in movies i respect.

But fuck all that...after all, we have goooooglleee :xmassrudolph:

You asked what it was about, not what his opinion on the movie was. :3

whats it about?

The history of violence.

dwpe1w.jpg

But fuck all that...after all, we have goooooglleee

Same thing where i come from. Different movies are about different things for different people, ask Quentin Tarantino what Top Gun is about ;)

whats it about?

The history of violence.

dwpe1w.jpg

But fuck all that...after all, we have goooooglleee

Same thing where i come from. Different movies are about different things for different people, ask Quentin Tarantino what Top Gun is about ;)

I believe his words were along the lines of "A bunch of fags"

AWESOME movie!

A couple of points:

- Don't expect what you see in the trailer. Aside from a handful of really violent moments, it's nearly all storytelling and dialogue. Quentin's ability to build a scene to its climax is pretty much unparalleled now - through words, through visuals, he has mastered his craft and the resulting suspense is frequently off the charts. There's an impressive sequence that takes place in a tavern that he has referred to as a mini-Reservoir Dogs, which is just a wonder to behold.

- Brad Pitt is golden. I was sceptical of his performance based on the trailer, but you need to put it in the context of the film and when you do, it definitely works and hilarity ensues.

- Believe the hype for Christoph Waltz.

- When it comes to the issue of subtitles and the pacing of the film, I'm sure there are a fair amount of individuals with ADD symptoms who are gonna wanna leave early. Be warned. A lot of people quite wrongfully associate Tarantino with the MTV-age of mindlessly "cool" entertainment, but in many ways, his films demand patience and an attention to detail.

- A pivotal scene has nods to both Carrie and Scarface. Being a De Palma fan, I couldn't help but mark the fuck out! I'm just throwing that out there.

AWESOME movie!

A couple of points:

- Don't expect what you see in the trailer. Aside from a handful of really violent moments, it's nearly all storytelling and dialogue. Quentin's ability to build a scene to its climax is pretty much unparalleled now - through words, through visuals, he has mastered his craft and the resulting suspense is frequently off the charts. There's an impressive sequence that takes place in a tavern that he has referred to as a mini-Reservoir Dogs, which is just a wonder to behold.

- Brad Pitt is golden. I was sceptical of his performance based on the trailer, but you need to put it in the context of the film and when you do, it definitely works and hilarity ensues.

- When it comes to the issue of subtitles and the pacing of the film, I'm sure there are a fair amount of individuals with ADD symptoms who are gonna wanna leave early. Be warned. A lot of people quite wrongfully associate Tarantino with the MTV-age of mindlessly "cool" entertainment, but in many ways, his films demand patience and an attention to detail.

- A pivotal scene has nods to both Carrie and Scarface. Being a De Palma fan, I couldn't help but mark the fuck out! I'm just throwing that out there.

It was amazing. Quentin Tarantino introduced the film at my screening. He ended his introduction with "so are you ready to kill some fucking nazis?!? bring it the fuck on!"

AWESOME movie!

A couple of points:

It was amazing. Quentin Tarantino introduced the film at my screening. He ended his introduction with "so are you ready to kill some fucking nazis?!? bring it the fuck on!"

Wow, awesome! I agree with all the above. Waltz deserves an Oscar.

AWESOME movie!

A couple of points:

I just returned from watching. It's a good movie and a quite different movie for tarantino. Despite Inglorious Basterds Tarantino's movies have never been story telling movies rather then visual and dialog based movies. Anyways it was a great movie with a David Bowie song that quite surprised me.

by the way you would never believe in what sort of movies Christoph Waltz played in germany. Only really dumb, cheesey love flicks I tell ya. He was outstanding.

[edit]

You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, Business is a-boomin'. B)

Edited by JeanGenie

I just returned from watching. It's a good movie and a quite different movie for tarantino. Despite Inglorious Basterds Tarantino's movies have never been story telling movies rather then visual and dialog based movies. Anyways it was a great movie with a David Bowie song that quite surprised me.

by the way you would never believe in what sort of movies Christoph Waltz played in germany. Only really dumb, cheesey love flicks I tell ya. He was outstanding.

Glad you enjoyed the film. :shades:

I'm a little confused about this comment, though. I'm not sure if I'm reading it right. If you're saying that Quentin's other films don't really have stories, I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly. The whole point of Tarantinian dialogue is to build characters and situations for the purpose of advancing stories. He ain't doing it for the clever one-liners. Granted he doesn't abide by conventional narratives that you see in a lot of homogenized work, there is always at least one tale being told and everything serves a purpose. It's almost the same feeling you get when you read a great novel because his films unfold gradually and he takes his time getting there.

Edited by bluesy

I'm a little confused about this comment, though. I'm not sure if I'm reading it right. If you're saying that Quentin's other films don't really have stories, I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly. The whole point of Tarantinian dialogue is to build characters and situations for the purpose of advancing stories. He ain't doing it for the clever one-liners. Granted he doesn't abide by conventional narratives that you see in a lot of homogenized work, there is always at least one tale being told and everything serves a purpose. It's almost the same feeling you get when you read a great novel because his films unfold gradually and he takes his time getting there.

I'm totally with you but in my opinion the quality of the stories themselves never live up to the quality of the dialouges and situations. His movies are very artificial. I like to compare him to a guitar virtuoso. A guy that basicly can do anything with his medium but at times lacks the story he wants to tell. That's not the way he makes a movie. He said it himself he has the idea of making a blackploitation movie, an exploitation movie, a kung fu movie. He never starts a movie because there's a certain story he wants to tell.

Recently watched:

Jaws - Great film, all-time classic

Jaws 2 - Drags too long, but otherwise okay

Jaws 3-D - Sack of shit

The Mist - Good tension until the "reveal" and I'm not sold on the ending

Deep Blue Sea - Better than Jaws 3-D

The Punisher - Thomas Jane was much better than Ray Stevenson

The Bunker - Boring and crap

Outpost - Great pacing and tension until you find out what is going on, then it became crap

Severance - Should have been so much better. No scares and nary a laugh to be found

Dirty Harry - Second best scream in cinema history. Repeating the "Do you feel lucky" line was just stupid

Crank 2 - Amazing how a certain story can be so "one shot wonder". This was ropey indeed

My Bloody Valentine - Got what I expected. Not good, obviously, but not terrible