Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way I hope you didn't think my above post was targeting DiCaprio as an actor, I think he's a great actor. Especially in Catch Me If You Can.

a waste of actor i think. a LOT more potential than he pushed himself toward doing. it seems to me that he picks...demanding roles but demanding in a kind of similar vein.

He was immediately typecast as a pretty boy heartthrob after Titanic and Romeo and Juliet. He has admitted that he turned down many huge blockbusters and purposely avoided mainstream films after Titanic came out. He could have easily sold out for all the money; instead, he disappeared for quite a length of time, and when he returned he was challenging himself with films such as Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator, Blood Diamond and The Departed. He was already contractually obligated for The Man in the Iron Mask in 1998 but if you look at his resume he did nothing but appear in indie films and The Beach until 2002. Now he's going to star in a film about Teddy Roosevelt and a film about an escaped mental ward prisoner with Scorsese directing. I fail to see how he's not "pushing" himself.

as an actor, relative to what i percieve to be the degree of his talents, he pretty much just plays white american males. yeah, i know, he is one but...i believe he's got more to him than that. im not saying actors should showboat for the sake of showboating but...i dunno, he hasnt made that many memorable movies, i mean like REALLY memorable, something you could stop and say okay, that movie just contributed something significant to the history of american cinema. i really like his early stuff, This Boys Life, Gilbert Grape...he dont seem to have much...vision/ambition artistically. maybe i expect too much. dont think a lot of Martin Scorcese lately either. their partnership is...mediocrity setting.

Edited by ffrankwhite

By the way I hope you didn't think my above post was targeting DiCaprio as an actor, I think he's a great actor. Especially in Catch Me If You Can.

a waste of actor i think. a LOT more potential than he pushed himself toward doing. it seems to me that he picks...demanding roles but demanding in a kind of similar vein.

He was immediately typecast as a pretty boy heartthrob after Titanic and Romeo and Juliet. He has admitted that he turned down many huge blockbusters and purposely avoided mainstream films after Titanic came out. He could have easily sold out for all the money; instead, he disappeared for quite a length of time, and when he returned he was challenging himself with films such as Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator, Blood Diamond and The Departed. He was already contractually obligated for The Man in the Iron Mask in 1998 but if you look at his resume he did nothing but appear in indie films and The Beach until 2002. Now he's going to star in a film about Teddy Roosevelt and a film about an escaped mental ward prisoner with Scorsese directing. I fail to see how he's not "pushing" himself.

as an actor, relative to what i percieve to be the degree of his talents, he pretty much just plays white american males. yeah, i know, he is one but...i believe he's got more to him than that. im not saying actors should showboat for the sake of showboating but...i dunno, he hasnt made that many memorable movies, i mean like REALLY memorable, something you could stop and say okay, that movie just contributed something significant to the history of american cinema. i really like his early stuff, This Boys Life, Gilbert Grape...he dont seem to have much...vision/ambition artistically. maybe i expect too much. dont think a lot of Martin Scorcese lately either. their partnership is...mediocrity setting.

I agree about his early stuff, there's promise in those performances which has not yet been realized. I think he tries very hard to involve himself in quality projects, and I respect that. But I rarely connect with him as an actor anymore. Except for The Departed, he's magnificent in that. And I loved him in Celebrity.

I agree about his early stuff, there's promise in those performances which has not yet been realized. I think he tries very hard to involve himself in quality projects, and I respect that. But I rarely connect with him as an actor anymore. Except for The Departed, he's magnificent in that. And I loved him in Celebrity.

Not hijack you guys debate; but I have always thought Dicaprio would have been a perfect- spot on "Spiderman."

Stupid Oscar nominations. I know they're meaningless, but they always manage to piss me off.

Can someone explain what the big deal is about Michael Clayton and how the hell George Clooney gets nominated over Sam Riley or even Emile Hirsch? And why do so few people understand how superb The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was? :anger:

Totally agree about Leo. At 33, he's done some very impressive work as an actor already, and I'm sure his best is yet to come. He definitely could have easily cashed in on his star status after the huge sucess of Titanic, but didn't. I absolutely loved him in Departed and can't wait for what he has upcoming.

I couldn't take DiCaprio seriously in The Aviator, he just didn't convince. I think one of the problems is he just looks too young. The facial hair seemed to make it more obvious. Same for Blood Diamond. Cold, callous mercenary? Nope, it just didn't work (though neither did the film) and it was the same in that overblown mess Gangs of New York.

I couldn't take DiCaprio seriously in The Aviator, he just didn't convince. I think one of the problems is he just looks too young. The facial hair seemed to make it more obvious. Same for Blood Diamond. Cold, callous mercenary? Nope, it just didn't work (though neither did the film) and it was the same in that overblown mess Gangs of New York.

i think the epic type, Ben Hur scale movie is so difficult to nail these days and they try so hard. they've got the technical wherewithal but...i dunno, not the actors i think. or the directors. or the art directors/cinematographers. the upright henry fonda, yul brynner charlton heston type actors with that grace of movement and punctuated delivery and knack for the dramatic.

Edited by ffrankwhite

Thats why I think he would have been the "Perfect" Spiderman.

Toby Macguire was ok.....but I think that role was born DiCaprio.

And cover up that gorgeous face??? NO WAY!!!

see now we're getting down to what its all about with you :lol:

:o

Nah, those beautiful blue eyes and perfect bone structure is just a bonus! :heart:

I agree that he does lack that more "rugged" look to believably pull off certain roles like Blood Diamond, but that'll come eventually with age, just like it did for Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

Look who's talking! :lol::P

I've borrowed a couple of movies from my brother: 16 Blocks and Dead Man with Johnny Depp. Anyone seen 'em.

Oh, and Guy Ritchie's Revolver.

You should like the soundtrack to Dead Man. It's all done by Neil Young.

I think back when James Cameron was attached to Spiderman he wanted DiCaprio. It might have worked before Titanic but not afterwards.

Dead Man is absolute fucking genius!!!!! see thats what im talking about!!! :):) push the fucking boundaries, make something different, i wanna sit back and go "what the fuck was that?!?!". now you're talking my fucking language!! Dead Man is incredible. Iggy Pops in it...and Robert Motherfuckin Mitchum, OH YEAAAH!!!

Look who's talking!

OH but thats different! :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite