Best bands of the 00s

Top 2, 5, 10, 50... whatever. I was just talking to Leksi about this. People always say modern music is shit and that's wrong. They're just idiots who can't find the good stuff.

Five bands that can prove my point.

5. 65daysofstatic

Sure, they've only released three full albums but they have a wide range of demos and EPs knocking around. It's all about quality, not quantity, anyway, and these guys have more quality in them that most bands can only dream of. One of the most diverse and experimental bands I know of easily, and considering I'm into lots of obscure stuff that's saying quite a lot. Overall they fall neatly into the post-rock genre most of the time and I think their sound is a good one to start this list with considering it has everything that a modern band should have.

4. Isis

Very much of what I've said about 65daysofstatic could be applied to these guys easily too. Although the genre is considerably different, sludge/doom etc, they're one of the most experimental bands out there and have consistently raised the bar with their work. All 4 of their albums have been released this decade and with them being more popular than ever I expect they may add another 2 to that list before 2010. It would be easy to argue that a band like Cult of Luna or Sunn O))) deserve to be here but for me it's always going to be Isis.

3. Muse

They seem a bit out of place on this list but considering they're probably the best live band on the planet and are now certain to go down in history as one of the greats it's only right they're on this list. Even though they've only released three albums this decade, one of which (Black Holes and Revelations) has been rather sub-par, everything about their live show easily redeems it. You have to scoff at the people on here who thought that in 2006 Guns N' Roses were the best live band on the planet when these guys were out there rocking like no other. I don't care what band you want to talk about... Led Zep, Guns, Sex Pistols, Beatles... whatever your taste is, these guys are well up there with them and I'd place them above all but one. They're that good. The fact Origin of Symmetry and Absolution are amazing albums just makes them even more worthy.

2. Drudkh

I know earlier I said quality over quantity but something has to be said about a band that has released 7 albums this decade. Their first of which, debut no less, was in 2003. It would be easy to say that sure knocking out a lot of albums isn't hard, especially when you're a relatively obscure black metal band, but the fact is they're the best black metal band ever. Hands down. No argument. Every single one of those 7 albums are ridiculously amazing and it boggles my mind how they can keep the consistent quality up like that. There was a point when I just randomly found out they had released another album since it was so close to the release of the last I didn't think to check. Mental. If ever there's a way to make your mark it's like this.

1. Agalloch

Well, I'd argue they're the best band ever and that sorta means they have to be here by default. I've used the word experimental and progressive in regards to pretty much all of the above bands and as amazing as they all are... none of them can quite touch the level of amazingness that Agalloch do in each of their albums. They've released 5/6 albums, demos and EPs this decade and all of them are absolute 100% genius. They're one of the few bands I can think of that have no dud tracks whatsoever. When you take into account they're on of the most unique sounding bands out there that constantly push themselves musically and take drastic turns with their sound you really have to admire that. So yeah.... Agalloch are the best band ever. Best of the decade. Perfect.

Edited by Ridin' the Nightrain

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think there was such a thing as a 'good black metal band', prove me wrong someday Ridin'. This Agalloch intrigues me.

I can't be bothered to name names though, Muse are certainly up there though, probably #1 in my books. MGMT are certainly contenders even though they only have one album.

If you don't like black metal I probably can't convert you.

I dug Mayhem and Immortal for a while for their music (that was the extent I "got into" black metal), but then the whole burning churches and being 'brutal' got really old, really fast.

Agalloch are fucking mega. Download The Mantle album and listen from start to finish. If you don't love it you have no soul. It's music perfection. Simple as.

Maybe I will...maybe I will.

You won't. I'll upload it now.

Edit: Blah it's too big for Rapidshare. If you go on MSN I'll send it to you overnight. I can't be assed splitting.

Also most black and death aren't from people who like to burn down churches and shit. Hell, most of the time it's impossible to make out the lyrics, it's about the atmosphere of the songs.

Edited by Ridin' the Nightrain

Also most black and death are from people who like to burn down churches and shit. Hell, most of the time it's impossible to make out the lyrics, it's about the atmosphere of the songs.

That's why I listen to In Flames... they play brilliant brutal music yet their lyrics and melodies are perfectly understandable... and their music has brilliant atmosphere. Unfortuantely they released most of ther best material before the turn of the century and as such do not merit a position here.

Coheed and Cambria. No one has redefined Prog Rock like these guys.

Edit: Blah it's too big for Rapidshare. If you go on MSN I'll send it to you overnight. I can't be assed splitting.

Haha chill man, I'll download it, don't bother yourself to upload it, just remind me sometime on msn or something.

I don't like melodic. It's watered down and poppy.

Black and death needs to be harsh or it's pointless.

The entire Jester Race album's a masterclass in brutality....

But then I'm not a fan of bands that revel in songs about mutilation, torture, devil worship etc... not my scene at all....

Apologies :P I'd sent thast link of the "pushers" from anything goes to a few friends.

Edited by Graeme

I don't like melodic. It's watered down and poppy.

Black and death needs to be harsh or it's pointless.

Watered Down?

The entire Jester Race album's a masterclass in brutality....

But then I'm not a fan of bands that revel in songs about mutilation, torture, devil worship etc... not my scene at all....

Lol at the wrong link there buddy. :rofl-lol:

That new link is still watered down when you listen to something like Drukdh: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZxZ5Nm95U

Check out bands like Burzum, Emperor and Death etc.

Hmm, You're right... atmospheric... I wouldn't say it was heavier than F[R]iend though. Instrumentally it was fantastic but the vocals were so guttural and distorted if there were any lyrics there might as well not have been as it just sounded like someone gargling rocks. Bit of a shame for the lyricist really. it means that the meaning of the song gets lost.