Guns N' Roses = Best Rock Band Ever

D..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing the "Tyson vs Ali" debate - putting GNR in their prime up against Led Zep or The Who in their prime, an Eddie Trunk question...

This is a perfect way to look at it. Though Tyson didn't have the longevity, in his prime he was the BEST EVER. GNR matched up against anyone holds their own if not beats them.

Doing the "Tyson vs Ali" debate - putting GNR in their prime up against Led Zep or The Who in their prime, an Eddie Trunk question...

Led Zep and The Who had better instrumentalists than GNR but Axl Rose absolutely smokes Daltrey and Plant when it comes to singing, songwriting and performing. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and Bonzo are superior to their counterparts in GNR in every way though. With The Who it's the same except Slash is a better guitar player than Pete but Pete has the drop on Slash when it comes to originality and songwriting,

Edited by ITW 2012

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Great thread to make in a Guns N' Roses board... Maybe I should make an account on a Metallica board and make a thread saying Metallica is the best band ever, and see how many agrees.

<_<

This week-end I was on a road trip and I was listening to some GNR records in the car (GNR Lies, Chinese Democracy, Use your illusions I & II, Appetite for destruction) and I was wondering how the fuck can people come up with such perfect songs as Sweet Child O' Mine ,There was a time, Estranged, Coma, Patience, not to mention Nightrain, Used to love her, This I love, You could be mine, Dust N' Bones... I mean... NOTHING is lacking in those songs, kick ass instrumention, kick ass guitar solos, heavenly voice, awesome lyrics, great production, atomic energy. It blows me away every time.

Then I swapped to some classics like Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Muse, Queen, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith... and while I enjoyed them a lot, I didn't quite feel this perfection in the songs. I wouldn't imagine to change one thing in GNR songs.

What I want to say is, Guns N' Roses is to me clearly the best rock band EVER. PLEASE COME TO EUROPE!

Agree 100%. And Axl Rose is probably best frontman ever too ( or in same mix as Plant, Mercury, Ozzy, Roth, Dickinson). Which makes me even more pissed that he pissed away about 15 years doing nothing for the most part. Glad he's back now.

best band ever?

guns isn't even a band anymore today it's more like nin a project or something

in retrospective axl will be considered underrated

but today among the fans he is way overrated

the music is good but nowhere near zep or floyd

parts of UYI II (estranged, breakdown) and parts of CD (catcher, prostitute) are up there but that's about it

check out echoes, high hopes, shine on....anything by pink floyd

achilles last stand by led zeppelin

they were like what - 4 guys in those bands?

axl couldn't release a song as intense or majestic with an entire orchestra and three houses full of pro tools

the closest and best he got was estranged

he's too american lacking the british understatement and attitude

best american band ever: the doors

Edited by springclean

I think GNR was the best rock band to ever come out of the 80's, for those of us that remember the spandex and big hair days of glam metal. when GNR came out they were different, dangerous and Axl scared the crap out of our parents, which is exactly what appealed to kids of the time. I think they injected something into the music industry which was badly needed in the late 80's. Therefore, I think they were the best rock band of their day,best rock band ever? Well it's hard to say, but they were extremely influential on the music scene of the time. I think the Stones or Zeppelin are good candidates, but GNR changed the sound and look of rock music.

I think you're talking 'bout Nirvana mang..

Heh.

Heh heh heh.

Heh heh heh heh heh.

No.

Lolnirvana

A few things happened in the late 80s-early 90s: Nirvana were in the right place at the right time, it was time for all things "underground" to go commercial. But I think Ministry being signed to a major was as big of a deal as it was when Janes Addiction and Sonic Youth were signed to majors after GNR got their deal. But through the 80s, college radio stations started publishing their charts in CMJ, the CMJ convention showcased a lot of new bands (SXSW I think has taken its place), major labels were paying attention to those charts, and when Soundscan started being used, the music industry changed OVERNIGHT.

But what exists today is diversity in music, styles crossing over, and the exposure to a wide range of music past and present.

I think for musicians, they have more ways to promote and distribute themselves than ever and package themselves any way they want. Granted, a lot of the old ways of promoting your music hasn't changed. But in 2010, if GNR were an unsigned band, would they have tried to do it the same way they did in the mid 80s, or try to use all the technology we have now to get the word out?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Nivarna Zeppelin = both got boring, pretty fast.

you could say the same thing about Guns N Roses ;)

Very true. And fact remains that both Led Zeppelin and Nirvana is counted as better and more important than Guns N' Roses by the public.

Very true. And fact remains that both Led Zeppelin and Nirvana is counted as better and more important than Guns N' Roses by the public.

>Nirvana

>Better than Guns N' Roses

aahaahahahahahahhaahha no

check out echoes, high hopes, shine on....anything by pink floyd

achilles last stand by led zeppelin

they were like what - 4 guys in those bands?

axl couldn't release a song as intense or majestic with an entire orchestra and three houses full of pro tools

the closest and best he got was estranged

he's too american lacking the british understatement and attitude

I don't agree. I know by heart Echoes, Shine on your crazy diamond, A saucerful of secrets, Atom Mother Earth, High Hopes, all of dark side of the moon.... But something lacks. While it's great, complex, very experimental, it lacks something. "November Rain" can seem like a stupid song compared to Shine on your crazy diamond. Yet the heart, the passion, the rage is there. And let's face it, Slash works blows away anything Guilmore or Waters have ever written on a guitar (but does it really matter?) I can't find the big energy GNR have in any of the Pink Floyd songs. But there are some other great stuff in their songs. But it's just not "rock" to me. I love Pink Floyd anyway but if I had to chose between seeing Pink Floyd live back in the day or GNR back in the day, I wouldn't hesitate one sec, GNR all the way.

Zeppelin are overrated imo, they have some good songs but the attitude isn't there.

Same with the doors.

The only bands where I find this rock attitude aside from Guns are Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones. And Black Sabbath with Ozzy. It's something that some people have and it doesn't have anything to do with how genius you can be musically, believe me I'm a very curious man and I have listened to thousands of bands but GNR have something nobody else has.

And Nirvana's a joke.

Edited by D..

You can always say that Zeppelin did the big rock epics better, or Pink Floyd had the more intelligent elaborate compositions or Nirvana had a bigger impact being around roughly at the same time or ACDC owned them in loud raw power or whatever. But can you name another band that had EVERYTHING going for it like GNR did? You could, I guess, name two: Led Zeppelin and Queen. Then, it's up to you what you like. No wonder those two names come up most often in this thread.

GNR does not apply to enter in the "best band ever" discussion anyways, funny how some here use opinions for facts...

not even in a GNR forum people seem to agree.. if you take this discussion to a serious music forum a lot of you will make a lot of people laugh

Apetite and UYI where big albums, and they seemed to be a great band there with big potential, but that's it... it eneded and most likely it will never reach that status again.

ps: yes, Nirvana is a joke!

Who cares what the public thinks or what anyone else thinks? If GNR is, to one particular person, the best band ever then that opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. I would rather listen to GNR over Nirvana or Zeppelin any day. Judging any form of art whether it is music, painting, film, whatever is 100% subjective. It just comes down to what someone connects with on a personal level. To me Axl and Roger Waters are the two songwriters I have connected with the most and both GNR and Pink Floyd have a musical that aesthetic resonates with me. If someone thinks those bands are shit then whatever but they are the best in my opinion

Edited by shotgunblues1978

For me they are. They got me into playing guitar. When i heard Bucket and Robin's leads on TWAT i was mesmerized. I had a new found love for the sound of the guitar. No other band did that for me. So to me, GnR are the best rock band ever. Sure some people will disagree, but this isn't meant to convince them, this is MY opinion. I love both old guns and new guns, nothing else compares musically.

It's a little hard for me to believe that NO GNR songs made this list of VH1's top 100 rock songs, selected in 2000. Really? We've Only Just Begun by the Carpenters makes it at 99 but there's no room for Sweet Child of Mine? Hmmm.

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/2000/vh1rocksongs.htm

In any event, that list does give some idea of the public's perception as of 10 years ago -- or at least maybe that of members of the public of the age that put the list together. I count 4 Zeppelin songs, 9 Beatles, 2 Queen, 2 Who, 2 Eagles, 1 Nirvana and 0 GNR songs.

Also, if you look at the number of top 100 hits, GNR has had 1 (SCOM) while the Stones have had 8 and the Beatles 20 (Queen had 2). Zeppelin has none, but that's b/c they didn't release any of their music as singles since they wanted listeners to hear their albums as complete works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_reached_number_one_in_the_United_States

Edited by laxrat

Haha. Nirvana was a bunch of IQ liberated idiots who happened to have a great singer who later killed himself (which is too bad) but they have sold less than half of what GNR has sold and GNR has broken huge ground in the history. Almost no other band (if any?) sold as many cd's as gnr did in such a short period of time.

The became legends in what? One big tour in the 90's. That was their only really big tour.

GNR over all!!

words cannot describe the fail!! :shocked:

How? what to kids listen to today? Led Zeppelin and Nivarna, how long did GN'R last? 6 years, how long were Zeppelin successful for? well over a decade. As for Nirvana the only reason they stopped was Cobains death, they were still popular in the mid 90's and could have carried on

• 2 weeks later...

words cannot describe the fail!! :shocked:

How? what to kids listen to today? Led Zeppelin and Nivarna, how long did GN'R last? 6 years, how long were Zeppelin successful for? well over a decade. As for Nirvana the only reason they stopped was Cobains death, they were still popular in the mid 90's and could have carried on

Kids today listen to shit like Kings of Leon, Porcupine Tree, and boring bands like that. It has to be the last hot stuff around you know, like Lady Gaga. It's funny how you judge Nirvana to be as big as Led Zeppelin. Nirvana was basically smoke, sure they had one or two good songs but Cobain ruined what the band could have been with his "I don't wanna be a rock star, my fans don't understand my music and never will" attitude.

GN'R didn't last 6 years, it's alive now more than ever, but where are Led Zeppelin and Nirvana? (other than my ass) I'll never get why people like you are on a GNR fanboard...