Now Chinese Democracy is out of the way, will the next album have a better chance at making a real impact?

Towelie

Lets face it, commercially and critically speaking, Chinese Democracy never stood a chance. I don't think I read a single review which didn't dwell on how long it took to make and the constant line-up changes etc. It was pre-destined to be a anti-climax (except to the fans).

So now it's over, do you think when they drop the next record - whenever that may be - it will be given a fairer chance?

No. It's not the fact that it took 15 years to make that made most people dislike it, it's the lack of Slash, Duff, and Izzy. No yet-to-be-released albums from GN'R will fare any better.

On the topic of making and "impact", no rock albums make an impact anymore.

It's got less of a chance to make an impact. Chinese Democracy had the chance to make a huge impact, but it didn't. The general public will probably be all "Oh look, another one of those albums. Meh." about the next record.

A new album would carry less pressure and baggage tied to it; people will be more accepting that it is a new band this time round.

That said, the Chinese Democracy name was its selling-point AND its downfall. The Chinese Democracy name carried a mythical edge to it; GN'R's first album in 15 years, however, a GN'R without Slash and Duff was always going to be received badly.

Chinese Democracy is the most unreviewable album ever. I mean, what are you going to say about an album that took 17 years to make? It's not a masterpiece nor is it shit. It's something of its own, any too strong of a bias on is inherently cheap.

Ironically the best bits of the album is simple songwriting not the overblown megalomaniac 100-guitar-tracks-plus-synthies production. But on a whole it is very souless because it has been fiddled about with and manipulated to death.

Rock n' Roll is about impulsiveness, so yeah, the next album could leave more of an impression ( to avoid the word 'impact') - if it manages to capture the band in a certain moment.

Critically it was mixed to say the least.

It wasn't mixed to say the least, most critics praised the album. Even Metacritic has the album listed as with 'generally favorable reviews'.

Critically, the album was well received.

I'd say the reviews were fairly good.

Anyways, I think it has a chance to be more successful IF Axl does a lot of promotion. Chinese Democracy had huge potential, but they dropped the ball on a number of things (terrible lead single, lacking promotion, tour took too long to kick off, no videos). I think fixing these things for a follow up would let it fare better, but I think Chinese Democracy was the bigger chance.

chinese was filled with leaks that happend in 06-07 and the company just packed the rest with filler songs.

Weyland-Yutani-logo-9263CBD4E9-seeklogo.com.gif

I believe that CD2 can be successful if a straight forward, aggressive rock song is the single and if Axl promotes it properly.

I mean many people have had those 20 seconds of Checkmate playing in their brains for months...It means the song is catchy and could do well if released correctly...

It will all come down to the music.

If Axl can produce a song strong enough to plant its feet in the billboard charts, people will be more apt to give him a chance.

Sadly, Chinese Democracy was not a radio album. Very little in it had mass appeal, and as a comeback album, it always had the world against it.

Outside of the title track, there were no anthems on the album, which is precisely what people want from GN'R.

CD as a first single made sense, because it does have a little bit of that anthemic fist-pounding thing, but it wasn't enough to stick.

Next album has to have those big choruses synergized with big riffs. The memorable radio stuff is all built along getting the music stuck in people's heads.

chinese was filled with leaks that happend in 06-07 and the company just packed the rest with filler songs.

I believe chinese 2 makes more impact then the first because there are way better songs out there.

I hardly call TIL, Shacklers, Scraped and Sorry fillers...

What we know about the next record is that it has already been given to the label, so it's done, and a summer release was being planned but the label is holding back.

oh, and that it's self titled, not Chinese democracy 2

Can he release a song that is as loved as SCOM? If he can't release songs that have chart appeal, the next album will fail even harder. People can overlook the band members as long as the music sounds the same and is of the same quality. AC/DC is a prime example of this. They changed their lead singer but then released Back In Black which ended up becoming their "Appetite".

So again, they're going to have to release music that's appealing to the entire world if they want their album taken seriously along side Appetite and UYI.

Edited by Nintari

I believe chinese 2 makes more impact then the first because there are way better songs out there.

Source?

Bullshit. Axl Rose and the band decided what songs would be on that album. Axl may have compromised on promotion, but he would never compromise on the music, stop believing and spreading bullshit rumors.

Source?

Bullshit. Axl Rose and the band decided what songs would be on that album. Axl may have compromised on promotion, but he would never compromise on the music, stop believing and spreading bullshit rumors.

I don't think it takes a genius to realize that this was probably just his opinion.

<_<

Chinese Democracy could have had a huge impact on the music world. But the leaks, no video, no tour, and overall lack of promotion was really what made if not have the impact it could have. I think GN'R playing Chinese Democracy, Better, Street of Dreams and Madagascar on the tour in 01-02 and 06-07 hurt it too, becuase those 4 were the potential hit singles, and people already heard them 60 times already live, they weren't new to anyone. The leaks were terrible, because half the album was downloadable even before it came out. I think if there were no leaks, I think it would have had a bigger impact.

I think the next album won't have a bigger impact, but will be good. I think listening to the album with only hearing 20 second of one song is better then hearing different versions of the full songs for 3 years before it comes out. People will be more surprised with the new album. Also I think it'll be more heavier and industrial, like Axl said. I think it'll be more of a rock album, and not have all the sync, keyboards, orchestra, protools, like CD did. I hope it's promoted correctly and they release a good single and video and tour in support of it and not wait a year to tour.

Also, I hope we GET a new album.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

No. It's not the fact that it took 15 years to make that made most people dislike it, it's the lack of Slash, Duff, and Izzy. No yet-to-be-released albums from GN'R will fare any better.

Bullshit. They sold out just about every arena when they started their Chinese Democracy Tour 8 years ago

Lies. Only a few were sold out, the rest were half empty. As a matter of fact, they were GIVING tickets away for promotions to some of those shows towards the end.

Bullshit. They sold out just about every arena when they started their Chinese Democracy Tour 8 years ago

Lies. Only a few were sold out, the rest were half empty. As a matter of fact, they were GIVING tickets away for promotions to some of those shows towards the end.

No, No, No, don't try that spin. The 2002 tour sold out most of the shows, including Madison Square Garden in 15 min.

No, No, No, don't try that spin. The 2002 tour sold out most of the shows, including Madison Square Garden in 15 min.

The 2002 tour was weird, MSG sold out in 15 mins but some of the smaller venues really struggled to sell out

Source?

I don't think it takes a genius to realize that this was probably just his opinion.

<_<

"the company just packed the rest with filler songs." - that's an opinion is it, genius? If he said the album was filler, then cool, that's his opinion... but that's not what he's saying.

Please name me one band in the world that doesn't give tickets away as promotion? You'll use anything to get your point across, anything that shits on Axl and the current incarnation of Guns. :thumbsdown:

Edited by axl8302