Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

I understand what you're saying that GN'R is definitely the exception, not the rule.

But, that isn't what I asked. What I'm getting at is, "is it the norm for both opening and headlining acts' start times to be listed on the ticket?" I think we can agree the answer is no.

Ali

One time listed is the standard protocal.

All I am getting at, is that if Axl has no intention of coming on before 10:30, then they need to adjust the doors open time because otherwise you have people that have been sitting there for roughly 3 hours and that is going to breed a hostile crowd. We can play the semantic game of exact language if you want, but in the real world 99% of people who go to these shows are going to think of the band as being late whether they were or not when they have been in their seat 3 hours and still haven't seen GNR. That is just the way it is. 10:30 is actually early for Axl, as usually (at least when I have seen him) it is pushing 11:30, and which point people have been there for almost 4 hours.

Clearly the late start times must not be as much common knowledge as many portray otherwise they wouldn't be such an issue with hostile crowds as we have seen of late.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GnR in Worcester in 06' they went on at 11:46. Greatest show I've ever been to, played till 2:30 about if I remember correctly and played Down On The Farm.

That was a great show, I still have yet to see any video from it depicting Robin Finck going nuts and smashing his guitar during Better. Took the next day off from work ahead of time and didn't whine like some folks I heard calling local FM stations either.

Maybe Axl should take some tips from Al Jourgensen (Ministry) with the fence in front of his ass :)

Bottom line is no performer is going to stay on stage when shit is flying at them. A warning was thrown to the crowd what do you expect. Look what happened to Duff back in the day.

Venue not letting paid ppl back in is a fucking joke though.

A big band taking the stage an hour after another band is perfectly fine.

Im sorry, but im really struggling to justify the turn around time.

They have 99% of the stage setup before the support band goes on..... Having already completed sound checks earlier.

Even an hour is exceptional.

Iv been to well over 200 gigs and have never experienced a wait between bands like that.

The longest iv ever waited was gnr at Hammersmith!

OK festivals are different, but i think Axl really is going struggle making excuses for this one.

His Reading tweet was plausable, but i cant wait to hear this one.

We expect (although not appreciate) it as fans..... but i cant blame the casual or tag-along fan expressing frustration (although not condoning bottle throwing)

Well I hope the ones that got to go had a great time. All I know is that Axl cares for his bands safety and his own safety. I give him props for ending the set. :thumbsup:

Maybe the 'fans' that threw bottles on stage were the ones that were going to miss the transport home due to the late start.

Sounds like the Europeans are a bunch of pussies. GNR starting at 10:30 pm is fucking early. Weren't they starting shows past 1 am in South America?

Yes, plus in Canada they were starting AT LEAST past 10:30 pm, with some shows starting past 11 pm. Europeans The Irish are definitely a bunch of pussies.

Edited by RocketKing99

God, Axl man....you should have just thrown out the people who were throwing the bottles, not penalized the whole audience.

yea Axl, not only focus on performing but why the fuck cant you pick out a few assholes out of a sea of people.

Are you serious with that comment?

Yes very serious, and considering(as most people know) that I defend Axl to the death and even did so at the Reading incident, this isnt a way to treat a sold out crowd who give YOU money. Rather than stopping for 45 min, why didnt he call security or something? Im not defending the crowd or anything but....come on!

Yeah, but do you really think that it's possible even to notice who exactly threw the bottles out of a large crowd? If not, then what is the alternative?

Ali

The best fucking crowd control I ever saw was Iron Maidens Bruce Dickenson in Red Rocks Colorado.. some fucker was firing bottle rockets at the band...one of them hit a banner and started it on fire...He stopped the show and told the crowd to identify is ass and hand his ass over to security...the crowd lifted the fucker up and beat the shit out of him all the way as they passed his ass to the front...brutal? yes violent? yes. But I bet the fucker never fires bottle rockets at the another band ever!!!! The show was spectacular and one of my first time ever seein Maiden.

Axl could have done something like that...stopped the show.. made an example of the pricks throwing stuff and continued on.

The best fucking crowd control I ever saw was Iron Maidens Bruce Dickenson in Red Rocks Colorado.. some fucker was firing bottle rockets at the band...one of them hit a banner and started it on fire...He stopped the show and told the crowd to identify is ass and hand his ass over to security...the crowd lifted the fucker up and beat the shit out of him all the way as they passed his ass to the front...brutal? yes violent? yes. But I bet the fucker never fires bottle rockets at the another band ever!!!! The show was spectacular and one of my first time ever seein Maiden.

Axl could have done something like that...stopped the show.. made an example of the pricks throwing stuff and continued on.

Sounds like a good idea. Axl, please try this next time. Tell them you're gonna continue after the thrower has been thrown out by the audience, so it's in their hands to make you continue and everybody can be happy - apart from the bottle throwing idiots, of course. :xmasssanta:

Edited by Granny

Sounds like the Europeans are a bunch of pussies. GNR starting at 10:30 pm is fucking early. Weren't they starting shows past 1 am in South America?

Pussys? I would day quite the opposite.

Maybe a lot of crowds would put up with a band going onstage an hour and a half late, but good on the Irish for making their feelings known. I don't agree with the bottle throwing, but the boos (and this was from an arena of fans, not an impartial festival crowd) were totally justified.

LA

Just to clarify:

The bottles were plastic cups. The second cup thrown didn't really come near Axl but he saw it out of te corner of his eye.

The pastic cups were full of beer nothing else.

People are saying the stage is very wet. This is because a lot more things were at the stage after he left.

Coming on late is a problem if you have to work the next day! There#s no way around that.

Didn't guns always have kinda a love hate relationship with their fans? I think it makes for a good show with a lot of emotions. If only the bottles or cups or whatever hadn't been thrown, I am sure that all would have been well after about 3 songs.

These conditions are all a part of the Guns N' Roses experience I believe.

I don't get why people get pissed off because the band take the stage late if you're expecting them to take the stage early don't buy a ticket because I don't think the band has ever been on stage at the proper start time but really GNR fans should be cool with that I know the members on this forum that have supported the band all these years are cool with it. I mean damn I was at the Toronto show in January and everyone that attended that show knew how late they were that night my friend that I took along with me that night was her first Guns show so I told her they were gonna be late and she was cool with that was she exhausted the next day at work from the show? yes but we both had a great time and really that's all that matters.

So again to the people that complain about the late starts don' buy a ticket because it will just be purchased by someone who truly wants 2 be there and doesn't care about the late starts

also i haven't been able to find a set list so if they did play the full show to those on the forum who were there I hope u had a great time

They need to issue refunds, 1am is TOO LATE for a gig to be going on until, especially when doors opened at 6.30pm and there was only one support act

AND WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT - Danko Jones played 1 hour and 20 minutes, what the ****? What support band plays that long unless there is a problem

WOW.

This was a post from that thread. They had Danko Jones play for an hour and 20 minutes. That is some serious bullshit. No wonder people lost their patience.

HOW MANY SONGS DID THEY ACTUALLY PLAY?

Intro

Chinese Democracy

Welcome To The Jungle

*Axl stops the concert due to bottle thrown*

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

*Another bottle thrown. Axl stops the concert again and the band leaves the stage. The lights are on and people start to leave. The band comes back, people start to comeback and after sometime the venue is full again*

Live And Let Die

Rocket Queen

James Bond Theme by Richard Fortus

This I Love

You Could Be Mine

Sweet Child O' Mine

Ziggy Stardust by Dizzy Reed

Street of Dreams

*Axl sits on the piano*

Better

*The band is winning the crowd again*

Knockin' on Heavens Door