Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

bacardimayne

I think Avenged Sevenfold is the reason that he left. He even commented that he's had more fun there than he's had in Dream Theater in a while. Seems the other guys weren't very understanding, and I personally see no harm of taking a break for a while. He even said he'd be willing to work a bit in 2011. They'll never find someone like Portnoy, though.

I wouldn't mind him being the full-time drummer for Avenged Sevenfold. It would certainly be interesting to hear his influence in the music. Nightmare was written before he came in to fill his spot. He's a fantastic drummer and that album didn't do him a whole lot of justice.

I thought this was a joke when I saw the title. Holy crap.

Exactly what I thought. I'm completely knocked sideways by this, seeing them open for Maiden this Summer, Mike was really the ONLY one that seemed like he was having fun! I can't imagine Dream Theater without him, and I can honestly say I don't think I'd go see them without Mike. On the plus side, I'm glad I got to see them 6 times this Summer. Especially MSG, that was an absolutely STUNNING set for them!

R.I.P. DT.

I've heard rumors that he's going to become Avenged Sevenfold's new fulltime drummer.

"I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold AVENGED SEVENFOLD responsible for MY decision... They are just as shocked as you guys."

But I can see him replacing The Rev too... because he is an awesome drummer!