I think This I Love is an embarrassment.

inthisriver

I hate this song with a passion and the first time I heard it I couldn't help but laugh and figured I would just skip when ever I listened to CD. Then GNR started the CD 3.4.6 tour and they were playing it live. I never thought in a million years Axl would play it live. It's by far the most cringe worthy song I've ever heard. What the fuck was axl thinking?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this song with a passion and the first time I heard it I couldn't help but laugh and figured I would just skip when ever I listened to CD. Then GNR started the CD 3.4.6 tour and they were playing it live. I never thought in a million years Axl would play it live. It's by far the most cringe worthy song I've ever heard. What the fuck was axl thinking?

Agree.

One of the best songs under the Guns banner in my opinion. The music underneath the solo and and last chorus straight after it is absolutly stunning. People need to hear the multitrack/guitarless version of that track to fully hear it though.

Love it or hate it, it's hardly any cheesier than November Rain or Estranged. Plus the melodies are just brilliant. Had this been released on UYI, instead of, say, Don't Cry, people would consider it a GN'R classic.

I didn't like it first but it quickly grew on me (same with Shackler). The only really lacking thing in the song are the lyrics which I don't find particularly impressive. In fact, I'd maybe prefer it as an instrumental, but Axl's singing on the track is incredible.

Initially I struggled with the lyrics as I thought they were cliche but it's possible that the persona is meant to be ironic. As in it's a persona that's deluded through infatuation, rather than Axl himself bleeding his heart out. You should always seperate the persona in a song from the artist themselves. Axl is not above using irony as we see in If the World so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the lyrics of This I Love are somewhat tongue in cheek.

I hate this song with a passion and the first time I heard it I couldn't help but laugh and figured I would just skip when ever I listened to CD.

I feel exactly the same way... about Scrapped and Shackler's Revenge. Total pointless crap, but some people like em! ''To each his own'', See? TIL is a great song, one of the top 4 on the record.

Initially I struggled with the lyrics as I thought they were cliche but it's possible that the persona is meant to be ironic. As in it's a persona that's deluded through infatuation, rather than Axl himself bleeding his heart out. You should always seperate the persona in a song from the artist themselves. Axl is not above using irony as we see in If the World so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the lyrics of This I Love are somewhat tongue in cheek.

+1, wise post

This song is like Axl meets Broadway. Fucking horrible. I do not allow myself to listen to this song.

It's cool to know I'm not the only one.

Prostitute is another song that initially I wasn't crazy about, but over a short period of time it grew on me and is now easily my favorite song on the record. That just never happened with TIL. :shrugs:

I didnt want to contribute to this stupid thread.....BUT the OP is an embarrassment.

What a great contribution.

Maybe it is a bit over-dramatic, even for Axl. It's not even the lyrics (they help though) as much as the delivery. Lacks dignity somewhat, that's the flaw I can find it. But the melody is good. I really liked it at first, less since. Live it's amazing, Axl owns on it. Song of the night when I saw them.

The lyrics are cheesy but not much cheesier than "Don't you cry tonight, I still love you baby" and all that.

The song itself...mmh, I didn't quite like it at first, I have to admit, and never really liked the solo. Not because it's horrible but because it could be MUCH better ( Buckethead... ) and turn the song into an epic one.

Thought it was pretty heavy and emotional live, especially when the guitars kick in towards the end of the solo. You can barely hear them on the album... :shrugs:

Best gn'r song after Estranged.

Don't cry is 100 overated compared with TIL.

And From my fav bands Gn'r is the only rock band there than it is only Metal bands,doom, death,gothic.

Emotional and depressive song......if you are a happy person you will not like it,if you are a sad person you will like it.

Edited by kleber

The lyrics are cheesy but not much cheesier than "Don't you cry tonight, I still love you baby" and all that.

The song itself...mmh, I didn't quite like it at first, I have to admit, and never really liked the solo. Not because it's horrible but because it could be MUCH better ( Buckethead... ) and turn the song into an epic one.

Thought it was pretty heavy and emotional live, especially when the guitars kick in towards the end of the solo. You can barely hear them on the album... :shrugs:

Having not seen the song performed live in person probably puts me a huge disadvantage when it comes to appreciating it fully. Hopefully GNR will tour the states and give me an opportunity to gain a new perspective.

Emotional and depressive song......if you are a happy person you will not like it,if you are a sad person you will like it.

Just because someone is depressed or sad doesn't mean they can't have good taste.

Having not seen the song performed live in person probably puts me a huge disadvantage when it comes to appreciating it fully. Hopefully GNR will tour the states and give me an opportunity to gain a new perspective.

It is a fantastic song and you know what,the part that i don't like too much is axl vocals on studio version.

piano cover is amazing.

Are you a metal fan or pop/rock one?

David i would agree if you would say axl vocals are average on this one and as in fact are in estranged.

what estranged and til have is that are great songs,period.

Edited by kleber

I think it is a wonderfull song, now. At first I was like huh??? Then I gave it a chance and I really like it now.

Axl really put alot vocally in this song, which was like going out a limb with it because the vocals through out most of the song are the focal point. It shows his powerful voice but also opens him up to alot of flack for this.

TIL has a different sound and feel to it than anything else on the album.

My fav part in the song is the last 30 secs or so where you think the song is ending then starts back up. For me that part of the song makes it that much better.

How many vocalist will throw themselves out there like he did in this song??? I would bet not to many becasue for me most of the vocalist we have today in rock music can't sing, Axl can and he show cased this in TIL

It is a very unexpected song from Axl and has brilliant ending!!!