I think This I Love is an embarrassment.

inthisriver

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with SONOFABITCH. It's one of the best on CD, but it's all Axl. No one else really adds to it. The solo is what it is. Nothing amazing, but it fits. Slash (and definitely Buckethead) would probably have done a better job.

At the same time, I can't really imagine a version of it with a full band actively playing during the first two verses.

Also agree with RickRoses. It's one of the highlights of the live setlists for sore.

I first liked this song in a kind of cheesy, ironic, "Yeah, it's Axl going Phantom of the Opera" way. But it really grew on me and now I genuinely love it. It's unbelievable live, though it's a shame DJ can't hit those ear-piercing opening high notes that Robin can that really blow me away on the album version. My favourite Axl vocal performance of this is still the Taipei one. While it is amazing with the rasp on subsequent performances, the vulnerability of the clean vocals on the Taipei one are charming and the fragility of Axl's voice when it breaks and warbles at the end of the Taipei performance is fitting for the theme of the song.

I really hope Axl does this with a live orchestra one day. Now that would be something.

Edited by Amir

What, are the haters running out of things to hate this week?

If you don't like it, fine. But if you think it's more cringe-worthy than My World, get off the crack.

Just because someone is on crack doens't mean they like my world and they would probably be offended that you'd assume they do. :rolleyes:

BTW calling me a hater and implying I use drugs doesn't really prove anything except that you don't really have any good reasons for liking that song other than that you're probably just a dimwitted fanboy leftover from the eighties.

lol I'm trying not to laugh here.

First, you're the one calling it the most "cringe-worthy song ever" which is clearly massive hyperbole.

Second, where did I say anyone liked My World? You obviously missed the point of that statement, which is that My World is far more cringe-worthy.

Third, you know damn well I wasn't seriously implying you use crack, if you actually think that and don't recognize the expression, you've been living under a rock the past decade.

Finally, most fanboys from the 80s are still sporting their mullets and insisting AFD is the only real GNR album. I wouldn't be here if that were the case.

The haters comment is directed at some of the negativity around here in general. It seems that when the band is touring and putting on great shows, and especially with packed houses and a fluent setlist, that people need something to bitch about.

Honestly though, you posted a topic that was clearly going to create from heated debate. For me, it's one of my favorite GN'R tracks of all time. You're welcome to your opinion, but if you think that's the most cringe-worthy song around, your opinion is far from an educated one.

Edited by kyrie

I hate this song with a passion and the first time I heard it I couldn't help but laugh and figured I would just skip when ever I listened to CD. Then GNR started the CD 3.4.6 tour and they were playing it live. I never thought in a million years Axl would play it live. It's by far the most cringe worthy song I've ever heard. What the fuck was axl thinking?

What the fuck are YOU thinking?

Initially I struggled with the lyrics as I thought they were cliche but it's possible that the persona is meant to be ironic. As in it's a persona that's deluded through infatuation, rather than Axl himself bleeding his heart out. You should always seperate the persona in a song from the artist themselves. Axl is not above using irony as we see in If the World so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the lyrics of This I Love are somewhat tongue in cheek.

+1, wise post

That is a very interesting point. I agree, and I think Axl kind of uses it as a template, and makes it work that way. I think he takes the generic formula and turns it into a powerful song. The only part I don't care for is the guitar solo. I think it is pretty cheesy, but I guess it works for the song. The whole buildup is great though, and I think Axl sounds great, and so does the piano and the distorted guitar. It is also nice to have a more simple and stripped down ballad, as opposed to another epic and over-the-top one. It's not one of my favorites, but I can still appreciate it.

Initially I struggled with the lyrics as I thought they were cliche but it's possible that the persona is meant to be ironic. As in it's a persona that's deluded through infatuation, rather than Axl himself bleeding his heart out. You should always seperate the persona in a song from the artist themselves. Axl is not above using irony as we see in If the World so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the lyrics of This I Love are somewhat tongue in cheek.

+1, wise post

That is a very interesting point. I agree, and I think Axl kind of uses it as a template, and makes it work that way. I think he takes the generic formula and turns it into a powerful song. The only part I don't care for is the guitar solo. I think it is pretty cheesy, but I guess it works for the song. The whole buildup is great though, and I think Axl sounds great, and so does the piano and the distorted guitar. It is also nice to have a more simple and stripped down ballad, as opposed to another epic and over-the-top one. It's not one of my favorites, but I can still appreciate it.

When I first heard TIL I hated Robin's solo. I thought it stuck out like a sore thumb and ruined the song. Sure it's robin's style and all but if you've gone to the trouble of writing a string section why would you drown it out with a sloppy solo? After a while it grew on me though and think it's quite powerful. All the same I prefer DJ's live solo as it's more fluid. When I saw the band in Belfast, This I love was one of the highlights from the night and one of the songs I found myself looking forward to the most. The crowd, who weren't overly familiar with the new material absolutely loved it.

Wow, I got chills. Axl has improved so much during this tour and this is absolute proof. Wow.

Axl did great, liked the video till the Ashba solo... So much posing there, and then he wanted a big crowd reaction or something, seemed really contrived.

Like others said, I wish Axl was on the piano.

Obviously, you've never felt the depth of loss he has. If you had, you'd "get it".

exactly this.

describes it pretty good.

"When you've loved and lost like Frank has you know what life's about."

Cheesy ass song IMO. I don't quite understand the love for it by many fans but that's cool. I don't hate it nor love it.

Edited by eggers

Wow, I got chills. Axl has improved so much during this tour and this is absolute proof. Wow.

Yeah, that was fuckin' amazing. He has total power and control over his voice. Fantastic.

Edited by Rovim

Obviously, you've never felt the depth of loss he has. If you had, you'd "get it".

Sure. What has Axl ever lost that wasn't 100% his fault?

What a fucking childish comment, what the fuck do you know about Axl's personal life? Ah, that's right - jack shit.

What a fucking childish comment, what the fuck do you know about Axl's personal life? Ah, that's right - jack shit.

Agreed. Also, to prove what an idiotic comment that was, anyone who's ever endured abuse as a child is never to blame. Ever.

Ali

Agreed. Also, to prove what an idiotic comment that was, anyone who's ever endured abuse as a child is never to blame. Ever.

Ali

lolwat

I experienced my fair share abuse as a child so I'm no longer held accountable for my actions. :rolleyes: Life doesn't work that way. I really appreciate people making personal attacks on me for not liking a song. Who's childish?

I'm sorry but no amount of heartbreak or drugs or whatever will make this a good song. Ever. If I want to hear something from Cats, I will buy the soundtrack. This song shits all over the legacy of a great band.

Amen .. said that very same thing the day the album came out. I had heard that this song was supposed to be in the vien of November Rain or Estranged. I listened to this and my initial reply was the next fucking thing your going to see is it preluded in concert by a rendition of Memories and then a bunch of dancing fucking cats. The music in an of itself has its possibilities but the lyrics ...god damn from the same man who did rocketqueen Anything goes ect??

Ali

Holy shit...I finally get it.

Axl is allowed to blame his fuck ups on other people.

Gotcha you...

Edited by SunnyDRE