I think This I Love is an embarrassment.

inthisriver

Cover piano......here you see how great is the melody,very simple but just great.

I think it is a wonderfull song, now. At first I was like huh??? Then I gave it a chance and I really like it now.

Axl really put alot vocally in this song, which was like going out a limb with it because the vocals through out most of the song are the focal point. It shows his powerful voice but also opens him up to alot of flack for this.

TIL has a different sound and feel to it than anything else on the album.

My fav part in the song is the last 30 secs or so where you think the song is ending then starts back up. For me that part of the song makes it that much better.

How many vocalist will throw themselves out there like he did in this song??? I would bet not to many becasue for me most of the vocalist we have today in rock music can't sing, Axl can and he show cased this in TIL

It is a very unexpected song from Axl and has brilliant ending!!!

I would love to see a big big voice cover it.

i agree with the last 30 secs.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite song from the album. Feels really emotional and honest.

And from what I've seen on youtube, it's also one of the best songs for Axl to showcase his great vocals on a live setting. The rest of the band does a good job too. It always seem to be one of the highlights from the concerts, wherever they're playing it.

My only complaint is that the orchestral parts are a bit buried in the studio version. Particularly when the guitar solo kicks in. They're really beautiful.

What, are the haters running out of things to hate this week?

If you don't like it, fine. But if you think it's more cringe-worthy than My World, get off the crack.

Just because someone is on crack doens't mean they like my world and they would probably be offended that you'd assume they do. :rolleyes:

BTW calling me a hater and implying I use drugs doesn't really prove anything except that you don't really have any good reasons for liking that song other than that you're probably just a dimwitted fanboy leftover from the eighties.

Initially I struggled with the lyrics as I thought they were cliche but it's possible that the persona is meant to be ironic. As in it's a persona that's deluded through infatuation, rather than Axl himself bleeding his heart out. You should always seperate the persona in a song from the artist themselves. Axl is not above using irony as we see in If the World so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the lyrics of This I Love are somewhat tongue in cheek.

That's how I see it as well. The lyrics and the delivery are so cheesy and over the top that I just can't take them seriously. That's probably why I really like the song, it's so absurd in its sentimality that it actually works.

Much of old GnR was over the top in a similar way, I don't see much of an inconsistency there. For me This I Love is less cringeworthy than Don't Cry, that's for sure.

Edited by zbyram

This I Love is a trainwreck. It's artificial, sappy, and overtly theatrical. It just takes that one special element from the previous trilogy of ballads that makes them great and completely drives it into the ground.

The song has some potential if Axl wasn't surrounded by yes-men, and had someone whispering "Yo, reel it back Mr. Rose, this isn't a goddamn french opera" it would have been a lot more listenable. I don't usually bring up Slash in the context of Chinese Democracy, but this is a song that could have definitely used some of his magic.

If I do listen to this song, it's by accident, in a sealed room. Otherwise if anyone hears it, I get looked at like the same way I do when I get caught watching Twilight.

This I Love released as a single would open a lot of eyes; the song would be laughed off the air in no time.

Edited by AbominableHoman

It is a really emotional song, especially if you know the meaning behind it.

A little more Elton Rose than GNR, but I still like it a lot.

I'd say more like Axlloaf.

Obviously, you've never felt the depth of loss he has. If you had, you'd "get it".

Sure. What has Axl ever lost that wasn't 100% his fault?

I don't know him, so I don't know.

I hate this song with a passion and the first time I heard it I couldn't help but laugh and figured I would just skip when ever I listened to CD. Then GNR started the CD 3.4.6 tour and they were playing it live. I never thought in a million years Axl would play it live. It's by far the most cringe worthy song I've ever heard. What the fuck was axl thinking?

then november rain,estranged,dont cry,so fine and every ballad from gnr are gay.

with better, this is thos appreciated song from outsiders. it's a beautiful anjd powerful song... and yes a lot of women like it.

I think Axl delivers in this song. It would be even better if recorded with Slash. To me "Sorry" is the worst. I love the beginning of This I Love.

I agree with this.

I loved Axl for the most part on CD. I dont like the dude anymore and his voice isnt what it was...but its still better than anything else out there and he can still write top songs. The actual music on the album is shite and over produced, but yeah...This I love is one of the better songs on the album...just needs the original guns behind it putting music to match the lyrics.

Original Guns could have made CD a whole different beast instead of the synth 'meh' it was/is.

This I Love is a trainwreck. It's artificial, sappy, and overtly theatrical. It just takes that one special element from the previous trilogy of ballads that makes them great and completely drives it into the ground.

If I do listen to this song, it's by accident, in a sealed room. Otherwise if anyone hears it, I get looked at like the same way I do when I get caught watching Twilight.

Agree with those comments to be honest - Looking forward to seeing if I change my opinion when I hear it live for the first time. I just don't get it (and I actually do like elements of classical music). There's something about Axl's voice that just doesn't sit right with that song on the album. Not the masterpiece I thought it may have been when I listened to it for the first time, to be honest.

In short, individually the parts of This I Love sound good - Put together, it simply doesn't sound right. Self indulgent with no direction, imo.