Axl Vs Grohl

fergus

Back in the day, Axl was at the same level as Cobain!! They had their fights and what not, but who would of tough, the Drummer from Nirvana would created a band as a singer and guitar player and sell more records then C.D. or V.R...

It`s messed up...

Edited by fergus

'Axl Vs Grohl'

?

Grohl is a great drummer, Axl's no drummer :tongue2:

Back in 199? both were in BIG BANDS :thumbsup:

Now in 2010 who is bigger? the Foo Fighters or Guns N'Roses?

I think the Foo Fighters are probably the more successful band of the two right now :shrugs:

/check out the track on the new Slash album feat. Dave Grohl & Slash - It's really something :thumbsup:

Edited by star

Back in the day, Axl was at the same level as Cobain!! They had their fights and what not, but who would of tough, the Drummer from Nirvana would created a band as a singer and guitar player and sell more records then C.D. or V.R...

It`s messed up...

Nah its not messed up, it is just the reality of it.

Kurt isn't anything special really.. same for Dave grohl.

A better question would be Mike Patton vs axl, but we all know who wins that one. Unless axl can prove himself with more material anyway..

Now you're talkin'. Everything he has touched has turned to gold.

Now in 2010 who is bigger? the Foo Fighters or Guns N'Roses?

I think the Foo Fighters are probably the more successful band of the two right now :shrugs:

Foo Fighters had a grand total of two Top-40 songs this entire decade, only one of which scored higher than Chinese Democracy.

They were popular in the late 90's just like GN'R would have been. Today, in 2010, you'd have a rough time arguing either band is 'big', at least in the US.

I guess from a musicianship stance you have to go with Dave since he can play every instrument. The first Foo Fighters album was really a Dave Grohl solo album. He is essentially like Axl in the fact that he is Foo Fighters. They have had multiple lineup changes over the years yet he continues to put out some of the most consistently good rock records over the past fifteen years. Axl's an amazing frontman, but he's really living off of the past. I know some will argue that he's touring under CD, but he's still around and touring because of AFD. GNR are a nostalgia act.

The fact they have released new music, completely contradicts the notion that they are a nostalgia act.

They are not a nostalgia act, they are a going concern.

Grohl has a knack for writing catchy, poppy rock songs, no argument there. But it's apples and oranges. Foo's first album was great, second was ok, and I haven't liked too much since other than a couple of singles. Saw them live in the early days, very energetic.

I'm one of the few people who really seem to dislike Them Crooked Vultures. Possibly because they were brutally overplayed on the radio here.

They've both had tons of lineup changes but other than that - Guns clearly has the stronger back catalog, and I'm not sure, world wide, who would be bigger at this point. I don't see Foos doing 40,000 in South America but maybe I'm wrong. I'm also not sure what it matters.

Dave Grohl's able to make an entire album on his own and come up with hit songs. Last time he came out with his CD, it was up for a Grammy. Foos have been able to be one of the biggest acts in rock for the past 15 years, and he's rarely ever done any Nirvana songs, even though he has every right to do them.

Axl has a unique voice, no one sounds like him. Grohl shouts through his songs, he's not a great singer but it works for the type of music he does.

Even if Foo Fighters broke up, they had a remarkable run for a band that was more or less created out of nothing better to do when his singer died. I think the big "what if" is if Nirvana had kept it together, would Dave have had an increased presence in the band and started singing some of the songs that wound up on the first two Foo Fighters, or would he have just done it as a side project?

One thing for sure - Grohl and Novoselic will never, ever tour as "Nirvana". I think because of Dave's success, it's allowed them to dole out Nirvana material over the years appropriately. They still make a lot of money off of Nirvana, to Courtney's dismay, but face it, she would've sold the rights off to some company so she could have cash in her pocket. At least Dave's able to protect his stake in the band without worrying too much about it.

A little too slow, but they're kind of limited on what they have. What they had in the vaults they felt worth putting out is in the box set, and everything else is in the bootleg world. They gave Courtney the greatest hits.

That's not to say they might not play together... Krist guested on one of the CDs, but there's a bit of a reunion going on for Foo Fighters' next CD.. Novoselic is going to be on it, and Butch Vig is going to be producing it. They're going to be doing this the same year the 20th anniversary of "Nevermind" came out, so maybe we'll hear a Nirvana song or two. No different than New Order doing "Love Will Tear Us Apart" decades later.

Grohl has no reason to play Nirvana music live, so in that respect, he's never had to dip into "Nevermind", which can't be said about VR or nu-GNR.

Dave Grohl have done a great job with Foo Fighters.

BUT, Foo Fighters have not a big recordsale to brag about at all! Nirvana and GNR have probably sold 10 times as much records as Foo Fighters! just check RIAA.

When that is said; Foo Fighters can fill Wmbley stadium - i dont think Nivana or GNR can do that anymore.... :)

I guess from a musicianship stance you have to go with Dave since he can play every instrument. The first Foo Fighters album was really a Dave Grohl solo album. He is essentially like Axl in the fact that he is Foo Fighters. They have had multiple lineup changes over the years yet he continues to put out some of the most consistently good rock records over the past fifteen years. Axl's an amazing frontman, but he's really living off of the past. I know some will argue that he's touring under CD, but he's still around and touring because of AFD. GNR are a nostalgia act.

The fact they have released new music, completely contradicts the notion that they are a nostalgia act.

They are not a nostalgia act, they are a going concern.

Come on. Do you honestly believe people are going to the shows to see them perform four to five "new" songs? At this point some of the songs from CD have been played for nine years. AC/DC and Bon Jovi have steadily released new music over the years too, but I guarantee 99% of the crowd wants to hear "Back in Black" and "Livin' on a Prayer." The people who go to see GNR go to see Axl sing "November Rain," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City," etc.

In a way, so is Foo Fighters. Nobody really wants the new stuff, just Everlast.