Under rated Musicians?

Dean

Thought this could be an interesting thread.

For me, Brian May is probably the most under-rated guitarist I've ever came across. Freddie gets most of the praise for what Queen achieved, but Brians song writing, as well as his live performences seem to be forgotten.

Who's yours, then?

Old school guitar players who don't get much notice these days

Johnny Winter

Leslie West of Mountain

Billy Duffy of the Cult

Absolutely. Duffy is superb. The Cult has always evolved from album to album but you can always tell it's him playing. Also has a fantastic live tone.

Another one I'd suggest is Geordie Walker of Killing Joke. The guy has such a unique way of applying riffs and ideas to guitar and for someone who uses a big Gibson hollowbody guitar for the vast majorty of KJ stuff, he sounds much heavier than a lot of metal guys.

Blind Melon - Amazing band, it's a shame that Shannon passed away, he was such a great talent.

Screaming Trees - imo they should have been as big as Soundgarden or Alice In Chains. Mark Lanegan is awesome

Jerry Cantrell - great songwriter, but I feel like Layne sort of overshadowed him in the band though. Ever since the new AIC album dropped I hear him talked about more often

Brad Whitford - again another musician who was overshadowed, Great player, but Joe Perry gets name dropped more often in regards to Aerosmith

Faith No More - just an all-around great band

Johny Marr - Great guitarist, his work in The Smiths was unreal