Axl and Slash team up to prevent Guns N' Roses' songs being used in Glee

yes i love you

and what's wrong with Christina Aguilera? She's got a great voice. Definitely rivals Fergie's at least.

I wish she'd leave the pop behind and stop trying to be relevant, she needs to go do real music because she's got a voice capable of doing anything without hiding behind auto-tune or meat dress gimmicks unlike all her peers...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and my opinion is Slash whored out far worse by playing the Michael Jackson gig 10 years ago than allowing a TV show to cover their songs.

why's that?

The show was a cash grab, lip synced, and an attempt to salvage the king of pop's career by concocting this tribute to himself, and felt Slash should've avoided it.

I'm not talking about Slash recording with him, or doing the video in the early 90s. But to be a hired hand for some prime time special? Eddie Van Halen at least should've shown up, but he had his cancer shit going on.

Point is that licensing your songs to a TV show, the only thing Axl and Slash would care about is the storyline on it, and the check in the mail. Steve Perry was able to find out the ending of the Sopranos because they wanted "Don't Stop Believing", so at least read what they were planning. Axl pretty much gave away "Welcome to the Jungle" to Mickey Rourke.

It wouldn't sink or swim GNRs credibility or reputation. Slash and Axl think the show's cheesy, fair enough. But as long as there are action movies, "Welcome to the Jungle" will be licensed, prob. at 30K a pop. So licensing to 3 action movies would = one episode of "Glee".

I wonder how much the bands that contributed to the "Twilight" soundtracks made...one song prob. bought each band a new tour bus.

When a band doesn't give permission to license their songs, they start finding out who wrote the cover songs...in GNR's case, it wouldn't be enough to make a show out of it, unlike Madonna, where they can prob. find 5 or 6 hits she didn't write. Elvis would be pretty easy, too.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

The exposure from this would have been HUGE. Sales of greatest hits would probably shoot up.

I think they made the right decision in the long run in terms of keeping their legacy (yes they have one people!). Look at Steven Tyler on American Idol it just tarnishes all the good work and todays world just see him for what he does on American Idol.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

and what's wrong with Christina Aguilera? She's got a great voice. Definitely rivals Fergie's at least.

Nothing's wrong with any of the people I mentioned. As far as Christina - I like "Bionic", and kind of feel bad she hit a really rough year...marriage on the skids, movie that flopped (although they should try to get the DVD out soon so people can start saying positive/redeemable things about it), a CD and cancelled tour. Shitty year for her.

The exposure from this would have been HUGE. Sales of greatest hits would probably shoot up.

I think they made the right decision in the long run in terms of keeping their legacy (yes they have one people!). Look at Steven Tyler on American Idol it just tarnishes all the good work and todays world just see him for what he does on American Idol.

Steven Tyler's never hosted a show and given that kind of criticism in front of a camera.

I think one of the hardest things they face is destroying dreams, and that's something Simon was really good at. Randy was the only one who had kids out of everyone who's been on the show, and now all these judges have kids.

Tyler and J-Lo have in common the outside songwriters, image consultants, and hitmaking music videos. Lopez has a rep as being a control freak, so I don't know how she'll do after a few weeks. Ellen looked completely miserable from the experience.

I don't see where Axl and Slash "teamed up".

All I see is two people who both said no.

Yeah I agree. The post headline is a bit misleading. Not like they came together, sat down & hammered out the 'no' to Glee. Both of their "peoples" rejayed Glees "people". The optimist (yes, I'm a real Gnr guy as opposed to Nu GnR) in me was excited at initial headline to post.

I think they should have let the show use their songs. Good exposure; I fail to see how this is different then allowing their songs to be used in a video game or a movie.

Do they look down upon the audience that watch the show? It's the same people that play rock band, go to movies, and come to their concerts.

They probably don't want to hear autotuned versions of their songs with sugary-sweet choreography set to them. I can't imagine "Paradise City" or "Sweet Child o' Mine" translating well into modern pop.

Anyway, I like how Slash didn't even give a reason for not leting the producers use a couple of songs...he just started talking about grease, which he said he thought was uncool, but over time....he realized it was brilliant. <_< Kinda ironic in away.

You should probably read that again, he said he thought Grease was awful back in the day, but shit like Glee and High School Musical makes it look like high art

thats hardly a compliment

Edited by sweetness

I think they should have let the show use their songs. Good exposure; I fail to see how this is different then allowing their songs to be used in a video game or a movie.

Do they look down upon the audience that watch the show? It's the same people that play rock band, go to movies, and come to their concerts.

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I know this is a Rock forum so I have to expect users to just say "FUCK THAT!" to everything that is pop, but come on.

edit: I don't necessarily think GNR should have let them do it, but to just hear the word "Glee" and thinking "PUSSY SHIT! RNFNR!" is just too much.

Edited by ItsSuchACrimeUKnowItsJAKE

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I know this is a Rock forum so I have to expect users to just say "FUCK THAT!" to everything that is pop, but come on.

etc

They didn't prevent them using their songs, they just didn't agree to it.

same difference.

Not really. If they use their songs without their approval than they would sued.

It's not like they announced a gnr episode and Axl had to hire a team of lawyers to stop them...

are you drunk?

I don't think a lot of young girls go to Guns shows. Maybe they did in '91-'93, but even those are all in their mid 30's now.

Edited by Bards

I wish she'd leave the pop behind and stop trying to be relevant, she needs to go do real music because she's got a voice capable of doing anything without hiding behind auto-tune or meat dress gimmicks unlike all her peers...

Didn't Christina say she was an Axl fan back in the day?! She's a real talent sadly wasted on that Bionic pop. Her movie Buelesque realy shows off her voice well tho so hopefully she'll get back to that. What a unique voice tho-it's very rockish at times which is prob why Axl likes her. That's a duet I'd like to hear. Axl please make it happen!

I agree with you on this one.

I don't see the big deal? It's free exposure. They'll probably get paid for it + more people will buy albums, become fans, maybe go to see some GN'R or Slash concerts. I understand Slash for not liking the show, because I don't like it either, but it's still free advertisement.

Because the Glee versions are the ones that become popular, rather than the originals.

The amount of time's I've been up town in a Club and heard Glee - Don't stop believin' rather than Journey is horrendous.

On another note, would be kwl and funny if this was the event leading to Axl and Slash repairing their friendship.

Slash: Yo Axl, Can you believe Glee even asked?

Axl: Hah yeah..funny shit. You rejected...maybe you're not a cancer after all.

*Bum love ensues*