Why all the nostalgia for Robin now?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original video you had up of that song was absolutely awful. If that was the original recording, I'd be embarrassed, his bends were out of key and his tone was awful.

In the video you have up now its much better, but still, its some pretty generic guitar playing. He just doesn't do anything for me. He fits in gn'r well, but Robin was good for Guns because he added to mystique.

The original video was a cover version by someone which is why I replaced it.

my mistake

As far as live, Ashba is oh so much better.....I cannot stand Robin live, he fucks up way too much.

In studio, im not too sure, I havent heard Ashba yet.

But post 1996, the best thing to happen to Guns was Bumble....

No if, ands, or Buckets about it.

Edited by Cdlove

Come on, DJ is not bad at all! He connects extremely well with the audience, he's a great showman. He plays good guitar.

That being said, Robin is all over CD. So it's only fair people are nostalgic about it, I'm very happy that he gets the credit he deserves. But that shouldn't be a reason to piss on Ashba, I'm looking forward to see what he can do with GNR in the studio.

Edited by D..

pre 2008 all people had were bootleg / live videos to judge him, where he routinely (consensus says) fucked up slashs solos. insert hate.

2006 he stops dressing like an emo, 2008 CD comes out, we see robin in his own element, doing his own thing. insert appreciation.

it was just a much different look than we had 2002-2006.

i think the outro solo on better was better than anything on slash. i also think 06+ robin is better than 06+ slash(cd > libertad/slash). just my opinion but, point is, in these years we've seen robin a.lose the goth gimmick and b.do something other than butcher the SCOM solo. we've, or at least i've, also learned that the slash>robin mentality isnt exactly accurate, as these last 5 years have shown, robin can hold his own with the slashman. then robin+bucket, not even close.

you can say the same for buckethead. bucket was largely seen as an embarrassment. madison always downplayed his role in guns n roses until the chinese democracy booklet leaked and it become obvious the big B was all over it. a few weeks later the album drops and people finally hear what bucket brought to the table. deliciousness. when his image, his character, his personality is seen in the context of his talent, his sound... it just adds some crucial perspective to the entire package that is buckethead.

Edited by Jackie Moon

So much ridiculous arguments here that's not even funny. I won't be pointing out how many fuck ups DJ did even when he's always playing the safe route of cliche licks (he has like two signature licks). Hell, his Beautiful Creatures work is something I just can't remember - his solos are like timewarps, you suddenly realises the song is still going on.

And the Indigo guy trolling Robin because he changed his outfit when all we have now is a copycat of a previous member is just outrageous. Stay away from the drugs, kid.

For all his flaws, I'll take Ashba any day. Oh, come on! anyone's bestter than Finck!

He was an alright rhythm player I guess (+ the opening riff for CD is his only shining moment imo), but Axl's obsession with giving him solos brought New GNR down big time.

Ashba, musically, is just there I guess. Other than Ballad of Death he hasn't impressed me (but to be fair it's been his only original thing so far, so there's room for optimism). Saw them twice this year, BBF owned him big time, in every respect, including image. He doesn't try to be cool, genuinely enjoys playing, is damn good, and that's what makes him cool in my book.

But seriously: Finck? I haven't noticed this new love for him you're speaking of, I was surprised when I read the topic title. I thought people were mostly ok with Ashba.

Just fire all guitarists and bring back Buckethead!

The problem with Bucket is that while he's a great guitarist, he is overly technical, to the point that even his melodic solos feel technical and calculated, planned out. Even his Electric Tears stuff...It's pretty yes, but it doesn't feel natural. It just feel like it just came out of his head, it feels like it was carefully planned out.

He never just dives in and finds the monkey.

HAHAHAHAHA WTFFFF. Sorry but you tried a bit too hard to say something intelligent and it backfired big time. His melodic solos feel technical.... hmmmm let me think about that for a second. OH NO!!! SHIT!! BUCKET IS A TECHNICAL GUITARIST!!! STOP THE PRESS!! Please tell us how his solos feel technical and "calculated"? What makes his solos different to say Jimmy Page? How is it not natural? Is it not notes being emitted from a guitar? How do you know if his solos were carefully planned out or if they were just improvised? Did you ask him?

As far as live, Ashba is oh so much better.....I cannot stand Robin live, he fucks up way too much.

In studio, im not too sure, I havent heard Ashba yet.

But post 1996, the best thing to happen to Guns was Bumble....

No if, ands, or Buckets about it.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH! That was funnyyyyyy, thanks for the barrel of laughs.

i used to play just like that when i was 14 years old in my first band! Wow...shortly after that they fellas got a new guitarist and moved me to vocals...i wonder why they did that??? i could have been in NIN and Guns and Roses playing like that!

Hint: it's supposed to sound fucked up.

I couldn't imagine another solo on Ruiner. The album version pales in comparison

Edited by Jyrgen

conclusion:

Robin Finck: Nice guitar player, but live sucks. He did interesting things on Chinese Democracy though.

DJ Asbha: a few live shows( japan) and anyone reminded Robin Finck, anyone missed Finck. He connected very well with people through the toru, he's very carsimatic. (and his girlfriend is the sexiest girl I've seen lately.)

Slash: funcking legend, different categorie.

Edited by sergiodefenders

I see people bashing DJ and comparing him negatively to Robin, Robin of all people!

It's kind of amazing for me to see Robin being praised and looked back sentimentally now when while he was in the band he was unceasingly (but righteously, IMO) bashed here for 'ruining' the old songs and for his meandering, amateurish solos. Even his 'shining moment' on CD, This I Love's solo, is kind of poor and is for me the worst part of the song because as a solo it doesn't uplift or awe, it just feels like an anticlimax--It goes nowhere as a solo.

I don't get the dissatification with DJ around here. The guy is a melodic player and has the classic rock sound and style. He may not be technically gifted like Bumble or Bucket, but he's got a melodic flow to his playing and his style is very much in the Classic Guns mold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgi6tzrTBCU&feature=related

Give me one solo that Robin ever did that matches up to just this one solo by DJ. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about DJ myself until I heard Ballad of Death, but hearing it has convinced me he's the best thing to happen to Guns post 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEU_MnZdHg

It all comes down to wanting what you cant have and not knowing what you had until its gone. This and personal taste.

I've seen both Robin and DJ perform with Guns in person and I prefer Robin. He came across like a true artist all ups and downs of that included. DJ came across like an actor and he lost me with his stupid hand behind the ear pose and lighting a cig right before his solo just so the camera could catch it parking in the guitar tuners while he played his generic minor pentatonic blues scale stuff. To me that shit in Guns at this point comes across like pure sarcasm towards the band and their audience.

Robin may dance around like an idiot but he was his ever progressing self - no top hat, no cigs, no Slash poses and at least trying to come up with original guitar sounds and ideas. The above performance from Robin is not as nice and clean as what DJ comes up with and it has a lot of mistakes too, but its unique and on the edge and that's just why it goes right down my spine and IMO fits a band like Guns much better than the rather calculated tone and appereance of DJ.

I see people bashing DJ and comparing him negatively to Robin, Robin of all people!

It's kind of amazing for me to see Robin being praised and looked back sentimentally now when while he was in the band he was unceasingly (but righteously, IMO) bashed here for 'ruining' the old songs and for his meandering, amateurish solos. Even his 'shining moment' on CD, This I Love's solo, is kind of poor and is for me the worst part of the song because as a solo it doesn't uplift or awe, it just feels like an anticlimax--It goes nowhere as a solo.

I don't get the dissatification with DJ around here. The guy is a melodic player and has the classic rock sound and style. He may not be technically gifted like Bumble or Bucket, but he's got a melodic flow to his playing and his style is very much in the Classic Guns mold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgi6tzrTBCU&feature=related

Give me one solo that Robin ever did that matches up to just this one solo by DJ. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about DJ myself until I heard Ballad of Death, but hearing it has convinced me he's the best thing to happen to Guns post 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEU_MnZdHg

It all comes down to wanting what you cant have and not knowing what you had until its gone. This and personal taste.

I've seen both Robin and DJ perform with Guns in person and I prefer Robin. He came across like a true artist all ups and downs of that included. DJ came across like an actor and he lost me with his stupid hand behind the ear pose and lighting a cig right before his solo just so the camera could catch it parking in the guitar tuners while he played his generic minor pentatonic blues scale stuff. To me that shit in Guns at this point comes across like pure sarcasm towards the band and their audience.

Robin may dance around like an idiot but he was his ever progressing self - no top hat, no cigs, no Slash poses and at least trying to come up with original guitar sounds and ideas. The above performance from Robin is not as nice and clean as what DJ comes up with and it has a lot of mistakes too, but its unique and on the edge and that's just why it goes right down my spine and IMO fits a band like Guns much better than the rather calculated tone and appereance of DJ.

Couldn't have said it any better. It's hard to describe but what Robin did always "moved me" so to speak. That solo from NJ is a great example. I have a blu ray bootleg from California in 06 where he does an even better blues solo spot. It's amazing. It's one of those things that explains in the best way possible why I like him so much. But it's kinda like "if you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't". And I'm not even remotely saying that those who "get it" might be better than others in some way. Those who "don't get it" would probably think I'm bat crap insane for "getting it".

+1

I've seen Gnr in 06 and in 10... And I agree with you in 101%. Ashba is pretty good guitarist and performer but someone in the middle of the show I was a lil bit bored with his all behaviour, it was just too much, he looks like rather be on the scene to impress some chicks than play music.

And Robin, I saw him in GNR and NIN and in booth bands he was awesome... His only problem is that he has own style (in playing guitar and behave) and somebody don't get it. And for me Robin is in some kind similiary to Hendrix.

BTW. Robin is just nice guy and was very happy when he signed my Chinese Democracy Cd ;)

Edited by loko

Dj bothers me. his antics on stage are annoying like that "putting his hand behind his ears so people roar" his look his "I'm the Shit" stage persona. he tries too hard. his fuckups are sometimes more annoying than robin. And the changes he does to many solos are really boring and generic. I heard some of the stuff he wrote in other bands and it's boring, generic, poppy mainstream seeking hard rock. i don't really like his tone usually too, and ballad of death is overrated, but nice.

he isn't really that bad but he is annoying

Robin was an artist. I even really enjoy a lot of the changes he did to the old material. it was original. the stuff he wrote was great. i was a fan of him ever since i first saw a crappy bootleg of show in '06 where they didn't even show new songs. he pretty much always did a really great SCOM solo too.yes he fucked up often (Slash did too) and was sloppy, but he was great, a great addition to the band. he did original guitar sounds and ideas as said

i really agree with this Indigo Child posted:

"He came across like a true artist all ups and downs of that included. DJ came across like an actor and he lost me with his stupid hand behind the ear pose and lighting a cig right before his solo just so the camera could catch it parking in the guitar tuners while he played his generic minor pentatonic blues scale stuff. To me that shit in Guns at this point comes across like pure sarcasm towards the band and their audience."

and that robin solo was amazing,a blend of blues, hard rock, modern stuff and his unique style and feel

plus the intro to CD sounds really weak when played by ashba live

I don't bash DJ, he is an awesome guitar player, I love Ballad of death....

but Robin has been in the band for like 10 years, he has much more identification with what all we had known as NuGNR, he is the man who composed Better, he was Axl's first choice, I love NIN, and he was the only guy who made me forget about Slash and reuniun.

Well, for me there are a lot of reasons..... but it's only my sentiments.

There's vagina all over this thread and you want to continue talking about Robin?

continue? Not, it was mt 1st post on this thread.

Dj bothers me. his antics on stage are annoying like that "putting his hand behind his ears so people roar" his look his "I'm the Shit" stage persona. he tries too hard. his fuckups are sometimes more annoying than robin. And the changes he does to many solos are really boring and generic. I heard some of the stuff he wrote in other bands and it's boring, generic, poppy mainstream seeking hard rock. i don't really like his tone usually too, and ballad of death is overrated, but nice.

he isn't really that bad but he is annoying

Robin was an artist. I even really enjoy a lot of the changes he did to the old material. it was original. the stuff he wrote was great. i was a fan of him ever since i first saw a crappy bootleg of show in '06 where they didn't even show new songs. he pretty much always did a really great SCOM solo too.yes he fucked up often (Slash did too) and was sloppy, but he was great, a great addition to the band. he did original guitar sounds and ideas as said

i really agree with this Indigo Child posted:

"He came across like a true artist all ups and downs of that included. DJ came across like an actor and he lost me with his stupid hand behind the ear pose and lighting a cig right before his solo just so the camera could catch it parking in the guitar tuners while he played his generic minor pentatonic blues scale stuff. To me that shit in Guns at this point comes across like pure sarcasm towards the band and their audience."

and that robin solo was amazing,a blend of blues, hard rock, modern stuff and his unique style and feel

plus the intro to CD sounds really weak when played by ashba live

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exactly, in the end Robin had to go do his own thing. He had no business or place in Axl's band.

Even if Axl had taken Matt's suggestion in 1997 and had Robin come on rhythm alongside Slash, he still wouldn't have fit or have been worthy of being in Guns, imo.