Tommy Stinson: "There's Talk Of Doing A United States Tour."

seely

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

That's what happens when you don't promote your own album. People aren't aware of it.

With all due respect, what are you talking about? The majority of the States market has never heard “Shackler's Revenge”, “If The World”, “Prostitute”, “This I Love”, “Catcher In The Rye”, “Scraped” or “Sorry” in a live capacity. They're aware of the material, it's just they haven't been fortunate enough to hear it live as of yet.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The audience is tiered of CD :(

The majority of the States market has never heard “Shackler's Revenge”, “If The World”, “Prostitute”, “This I Love”, “Catcher In The Rye”, “Scraped” or “Sorry” in a live capacity. In other words, only of half of “Chinese Democracy” has been played in the U.S.

LOL@This new argument as to why CD did catch on in the states.

You're trying to hard.

The majority of the States market has never heard “Shackler's Revenge”, “If The World”, “Prostitute”, “This I Love”, “Catcher In The Rye”, “Scraped” or “Sorry” in a live capacity. In other words, only of half of “Chinese Democracy” has been played in the U.S.

That's what happens when you don't promote your own album. People aren't aware of it.

people knew, they just didn't care.

Edited by SunnyDRE

With all due respect, what are you talking about? The majority of the States market has never heard “Shackler's Revenge”, “If The World”, “Prostitute”, “This I Love”, “Catcher In The Rye”, “Scraped” or “Sorry” in a live capacity. They're aware of the material, it's just they haven't been fortunate enough to hear it live as of yet.

The majority of the States market have never heard anything from the new album. Its a shame that it is that way, but its true...

You're trying to hard.

And promotion would have made some care much more. If they wanted to/if Axl wasn't fat/if there wasn't an anti-GNR conspiracy going on, they could have made the CD release a truly monumental event with the main campaign theme being that it's the legendary band's first album in 15 years. That would have sparked interest.

Shackler's should have been a single.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

It's not a theory to explain Chinese Democracy's lack of mainstream success. I'm simply legitimizing another States tour behind Chinese Democracy (considering only half of the songs have been played there (Sturgis aside)).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

You're trying to hard.

People didn't care about Slash either. Only sold 60,000 copies the first week and has barely done anything since then.

And promotion would have made some care much more. If they wanted to/if Axl wasn't fat/if there wasn't an anti-GNR conspiracy going on, they could have made the CD release a truly monumental event with the main campaign theme being that it's the legendary band's first album in 15 years. That would have sparked interest.

No, no, no, no, no. There were no songs on the album. There is no anti-GNR conspiracy. A lot of people just don't like new GN'R or their music in the States. I remembers asking friends when the Piazza leaks came out on the radio because I never heard them, and my friends thought the music sucked. Around the release of CD, co-workers people around the office heard about it because it was on the internet but no one liked it or didn't know much about it and asked me instead if I liked it. I remember people specifically said AFD was their only good album. That's the sad truth.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The majority of the States market have never heard anything from the new album. Its a shame that it is that way, but its true...

What research are you basing that claim on? Can you post those figures just so we can all concur?

No, no, no, no, no. There were no songs on the album. There is no anti-GNR conspiracy. A lot of people just don't like new GN'R or their music in the States. I remembers asking friends when the Piazza leaks came out on the radio because I never heard them, and my friends thought the music sucked. Around the release of CD, co-workers people around the office heard about it because it was on the internet but no one liked it or didn't know much about it and asked me instead if I liked it. I remember people specifically said AFD was their only good album. That's the sad truth.

Then you have dumb friends, BBA. Which really isn't shocking. Afterall, you think Madison was a good moderator who didn't censor people at all.

You're trying to hard.

People didn't care about Slash either. Only sold 60,000 copies the first week and has barely done anything since then.

I don't like slash's record.

Edited by SunnyDRE

There was no way for CD to ever be super-successful with the massive amount of negativity that cloud people's view on it (which is reasonable), but I know that if more people who weren't 35 years old were exposed to Better and Shackler's Revenge, be that through a music video or just general promotion, then the release would have been less of a "joke". Quotations around the word joke because when you think of it as just a regular album that didn't come from the superstar band that killed it in the 80s and 90s, it was successful.

There was no way for CD to ever be super-successful with the massive amount of negativity that cloud people's view on it (which is reasonable), but I know that if more people who weren't 35 years old were exposed to Better and Shackler's Revenge, be that through a music video or just general promotion, then the release would have been less of a "joke". Quotations around the word joke because when you think of it as just a regular album that didn't come from the superstar band that killed it in the 80s and 90s, it was successful.

Look dude, stop being agist here. My friends weren't even 30. I was 19 when those leaks came out. You're just being delusional and dismissive. I'm surprised you didn't just post a 4chan pic instead of writing actual words.

Axl only came out to say that CD should not have had high expectations after it was released. He had 10 years to tell the world that it wasn't going to be fireworks. I really think his sentiments in the chat were just a convenient way for the world to rationalize CD's lackluster success.

The lack of music video for Shackler's revenge would never have prevented it from being played on the radio. Who watches music videos anymore anyway? Half the songs I hear on the radio I've never seen the video for. You can go listen to SR all you want, I don't know anyone other than a few esoteric-interested fans of the boards that expressly state they love the song. If GN'R tour the U.S., most of the people buying tickets are looking to hear the classics and not to hear Shackler's Revenge. The songs on CD don't live up to the GN'R name.

Look dude, stop being agist here. My friends weren't even 30. I was 19 when those leaks came out. You're just being delusional and dismissive. I'm surprised you didn't just post a 4chan pic instead of writing actual words.

Axl only came out to say that CD should not have had high expectations after it was released. He had 10 years to tell the world that it wasn't going to be fireworks. I really think his sentiments in the chat were just a convenient way for the world to rationalize CD's lackluster success.

The lack of music video for Shackler's revenge would never have prevented it from being played on the radio. Who watches music videos anymore anyway? Half the songs I hear on the radio I've never seen the video for. You can go listen to SR all you want, I don't know anyone other than a few esoteric-interested fans of the boards that expressly state they love the song. If GN'R tour the U.S., most of the people buying tickets are looking to hear the classics and not to hear Shackler's Revenge. The songs on CD don't live up to the GN'R name.

For the most part I use the age thing to cover an entire mindset more than the actual age. That is the biased, negative mindset that has been planted into so many people's minds because of the old band's success and the new band's faults (non-musical faults, that is).

I only keep coming back to Shacklers because I know it'd be a better single than the title track. A great catchy chorus and it's accessible yet crazy enough to stick in people's minds. Who watches music videos anyway? Yeah, maybe their popularity has dropped due to MTV not showing them as much anymore, but Youtube makes up for that.

@bold: I'm almost sure he said something like "Alot of people won't like it, we're doing something different here. But you'll probably like a song or two on there." before it came out.

For the most part I use the age thing to cover an entire mindset more than the actual age. That is the biased, negative mindset that has been planted into so many people's minds because of the old band's success and the new band's faults (non-musical faults, that is).

I only keep coming back to Shacklers because I know it'd be a better single than the title track. A great catchy chorus and it's accessible yet crazy enough to stick in people's minds. Who watches music videos anyway? Yeah, maybe their popularity has dropped due to MTV not showing them as much anymore, but Youtube makes up for that.

@bold: I'm almost sure he said something like "Alot of people won't like it, we're doing something different here. But you'll probably like a song or two on there." before it came out.

You can't really make up excuses for why you bring up people's ages in your post. You are insulting people intelligences. No one is brainwashed into not liking Chinese Democracy. They don't like the music. A negative mindset has been planted? You go out of your way to find little facets to make up your make believe world where a "conspiracy" (your actual word) befell GN'R. You should start a movement like the reptilians. Reunionists somehow made CD fail. LOL. Just accept it for what it is stop trying to handicap a artist that should stand on it's own.

Axl! Beware the "Reunionati"

SR is tolerable but I wouldn't listen to the repetitive song again. I tried to listen to it again just now to remember why I didn't like it. Yep. Still don't like it.

You can't really make up excuses for why you bring up people's ages in your post. You are insulting people intelligences. No one is brainwashed into not liking Chinese Democracy. They don't like the music. A negative mindset has been planted? You go out of your way to find little facets to make up your make believe world where a "conspiracy" (your actual word) befell GN'R. You should start a movement like the reptilians. Reunionists somehow made CD fail. LOL. Just accept it for what it is stop trying to handicap a artist that should stand on it's own.

Axl! Beware the "Reunionati"

SR is tolerable but I wouldn't listen to the repetitive song again. I tried to listen to it again just now to remember why I didn't like it. Yep. Still don't like it.

I don't honestly believe that every 35 year old will dislike CD.

You completely misunderstood me. I said "If they wanted to/If Axl wasn't fat/if there wasn't an anti-GNR conspiracy". I was listing the proposed reasons (the axlfat thing just represents axl being an asshole in general) as to why there wasn't much promotion. But of course, you only chose the third thing in that list and used it against me. The word "planted" wasn't used like it is in Inception. People just have an immediate bias towards any action of New GNR whatsoever now. You can't deny it.

Axl does a sit-in protest and refuses to leave the stage? FUCKING PUSSY! Had that happened 20 years ago, everyone wouldve been screaming "FUCKIN ROCK N ROLL"

It wouldn't have saved CD. Nothing could have besides a reunion. But if you honestly believe that with proper promotion and an earlier release that it wouldn't have been much more successful, then you are just an angry, bitter person who would literally cheer if Axl died.

But nah. CD sucks cock. Was destined to fail the whole time. And it didn't sell 5million like the sources have said. In fact, it didn't even pop one million.

You completely misunderstood me. I said "If they wanted to/If Axl wasn't fat/if there wasn't an anti-GNR conspiracy". I was listing the proposed reasons (the axlfat thing just represents axl being an asshole in general) as to why there wasn't much promotion. But of course, you only chose the third thing in that list and used it against me. The word "planted" wasn't used like it is in Inception. People just have an immediate bias towards any action of New GNR whatsoever now. You can't deny it.

Axl does a sit-in protest and refuses to leave the stage? FUCKING PUSSY! Had that happened 20 years ago, everyone wouldve been screaming "FUCKIN ROCK N ROLL"

It wouldn't have saved CD. Nothing could have besides a reunion. But if you honestly believe that with proper promotion and an earlier release that it wouldn't have been much more successful, then you are just an angry, bitter person who would literally cheer if Axl died.

But nah. CD sucks cock. Was destined to fail the whole time. And it didn't sell 5million like the sources have said. In fact, it didn't even pop one million.

There was no misunderstanding. The quote is there. Why would you clump "facts" to you arguments if they weren't true? I've never seen inception so I can't comment. Everyone has a bias. People have brains. If they don't like CD it's not because of a conspiracy. Quick trying to rearrange your argument to avoid criticism. Conspiracy is your explanation. People like new bands that change members all the time if the new version is worthwhile. There's nothing in the water. There no delusional consciousness plaguing society. People may have reservations and may want a reunion but most people just don't care anymore. There's no one to blame. No one except the music. No emperor in the background is getting the crowd to jeer at CD.

892cap012.jpg

LOL @ your sarcasm of last resort. You don't really have anything convincing to say. Sour grapes. If they come to tour the U.S. I might go see them, I haven't decided. I'd only go see them for the idea that it might be the last round ever.

BEWARE the REUNIONATI

There was no misunderstanding. The quote is there. Why would you clump "facts" to you arguments if they weren't true? I've never seen inception so I can't comment. Everyone has a bias. People have brains. If they don't like CD it's not because of a conspiracy. Quick trying to rearrange your argument to avoid criticism. Conspiracy is your explanation. People like new bands that change members all the time if the new version is worthwhile. There's nothing in the water. There no delusional consciousness plaguing society. People may have reservations and may want a reunion but most people just don't care anymore. There's no one to blame. No one except the music. No emperor in the background is getting the crowd to jeer at CD.

892cap012.jpg

LOL @ your sarcasm of last resort. You don't really have anything convincing to say. Sour grapes. If they come to tour the U.S. I might go see them, I haven't decided. I'd only go see them for the idea that it might be the last round ever.

Uhh...Well. What do I say here. I can't talk with someone who is telling ME what I mean when I say something. That's impossible.

It's not a theory to explain “Chinese Democracy's” lack of mainstream success. I'm simply legitimizing another States tour behind “Chinese Democracy” (considering only half of the songs have been played there (Sturgis aside)).

legitimize it for who, fans or the band?

playing 1 or 2 songs from an album over 2 years old on the third US Chinese Democracy tour wont sell extra tickets

n it comes off looking nothing more than a cash grab for Axl

the album didnt sell here, was never heard on the radio, last thing Americans want are more songs played at a show from an album they didnt like or support

You're trying to hard.

If anything, that's the bigger shock because the song with Fergie should've been a hit. A lot of people were just surprised Slash showed up with the Black Eyed Peas and did a GNR song. But lo and behold, GNR sales bumped up from it. But 60K copies is nothing to sneeze at these days.

Older established artists don't sell a lot of new music, even if they put something great out. Slash tried the Carlos Santana guest singer thing and it did okay, but nothing that flew off shelves or onto ipods.

GNR went the exclusive distribution route instead of selling it in all the stores.. like I've said, go to Best Buy and they just have a couple of shelves of music. Best Buy's deal with The Police reunion also involved first dibs on tickets. If GNR are still in the deal with Best Buy, then Best Buy credit card holders might have first crack at tickets. The only reason to buy physical product is because an older audience prefers getting their music that way vs the internet.. the country music fanbase still goes to stores, classic rock fans will go to the stores, but most people who listen to pop music are going online or waiting for the next Now compilation to come out.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

legitimize it for who, fans or the band?

The U.S has not had a full blown tour from this incarnation of Guns N' Roses. Nor has half of Chinese Democracy been played in the United States. Those are just two legitimate reasons why Guns N' Roses should conclude Chinese Democracy with a leg in the States.

Hopefully it will substantially increase the cash at Axl's disposal for a new record (in terms of it mixing, re-recordings etc.) as well.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

They won't make it as big as Axl think's if they don't release new music.

Touring behind a album for the last ten years that was released two years ago isn't a good idea. Even the re-luanch would be looked upon as Axl being "to lazy or stubborn to release new music, so he released the same album again." Even if there is new album cover and booklet, it's the music that matter's. People reviewed the music, not the cover or misprinted lyrics. People will also just download the new rumored track Blood in the Water. Hell, I'll probably do that. Remixed tracks and a video will all be on Youtube and torrent websites. People won't pay money for the same album with a few extra tracks and a video when it'll be on Youtube a day after. I like the idea of the reluanch, but it'll be a waste.

They should release a new album with new or old material, or alteast play new song's during the tour. They should promote a new album, not an old one.