Has anybody else given up on the notion of New GNR ever being a normal band?

ITW 2012

Has anybody else given up on the notion of New GNR ever being a normal band? The kind that writes, records, releases and tours with the same lineup. I just want the rest of the CD trilogy and another tour. I'm reading all these comments about how the current touring incarnation needs to start fresh, with a brand new album written by them, and I'm thinking, really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32TTmd7HjQ

They're not a normal band.

I would genuinely be grateful if you could you please explain to me in simple terms why they are not a normal band.

Normal bands generally release music semi-constantly, keep fans updated and are usually on a equal standing. NuGnR is none of that.

It's my opinion really, but I think a lot of people would agree that they're not a "normal" band.

Honestly, Id be a little surprised if another album ever came out.

Yeah I think CD might have been a forced release, and even after a decade Axl was not happy with the results. I don't think a new album will be coming anytime soon, especially now that there's not the same pressure. I think it might come out eventually, but I think the most we can hope for at this point are some leaks.

I would genuinely be grateful if you could you please explain to me in simple terms why they are not a normal band.

Normal bands generally release music semi-constantly, keep fans updated and are usually on a equal standing. NuGnR is none of that.

It's my opinion really, but I think a lot of people would agree that they're not a "normal" band.

Thank you, I completely agree.

I wouldn't have minded if they kept the 02 lineup together for some albums and tours, but that wasn't in the cards. At this point though, Axl is almost 50, and I really don't expect more than the rest of the CD songs and another tour.

Honestly, Id be a little surprised if another album ever came out.

Yeah I think CD might have been a forced release, and even after a decade Axl was not happy with the results. I don't think a new album will be coming anytime soon, especially now that there's not the same pressure. I think it might come out eventually, but I think the most we can hope for at this point are some leaks.

I agree with you. I think that if Axl hadn't been forced to release CD when he did (for whatever reason),

then we'd still be waiting for it

Normal bands don't have lawyers and housekeeper acting as a gestapo sending cease and desist letters to their fan forums (as well as censoring) because they don't like the things they are discussing (which were in no way illegal).

Normal bands typically focus on attracting (rather than repelling) fans. Clearly not what goes on with GNR.

I just can't believe anybody thinks that this lineup will ever write, record and release an album together. At this point, I think these guys are just around to tour the Chinese Demorcracy albums.... and that's good enough for me.

Axl is not like most of the other musicians ( although quite a few artists have their peculiarities), so things around him, like his band , work in a different way.

Some credible musicians are obviously able to take this for years (like Tommy e.g.), so it cannot be too mad.

I would like to hear the remainig "old" stuff, I would enjoy having one album from the current line-up within the next 2 or 3 years and I don´t consider this impossible.

But if nothing like this happens it would be kind of sad but that´s the way is. As I don´t pay Axl for being "normal" or anything at all he owes me nothing.

Finally, I have sympathy for the headstrong.

Edited by amareh

The way I feel about it is this: It's out of my control. It's not my band. I'm not in the band. axl and the band are going to do what they're going to do. If new music comes out, VERY cool. We all want that. If not, well, we just have to deal with it.

The way I feel about it is this: It's out of my control. It's not my band. I'm not in the band. Axl is going to do what he's going to do. If new music comes out, VERY cool. We all want that. If not, well, we just have to deal with it.

I fixed that for you. The "band" (outside of Axl) has about as much say in what GNR does as you, me or anyone else on this board.

Sadly Axl's history has created a situation in which no new material will most likely ever be recorded unless he plans on paying for the whole thing himself as no company in their right mind would give him one nickle to record music after the CD fiasco.

At this point giving him money to start something from scratch represents a too big a risk, too little reward scenario.

I do think we will get some of the old CD sessions stuff released at some point as that is close enough to being done (supposedly) that it wouldn't be a huge financial commitment to finish it out.

in a way because although starting fresh sounds good it would meaning starting all over again a writing process that could take years when there's songs that could be ready to go and are part of a vision. trilogy til i D.I.E.