GUNS N' ROSES HEADLINE ROCK IN RIO 4!!!

Mal'Akh

if you cant like nighttrain, street of dreams, and this i love from that show, then i guess no one is gonna have an answer for you. amd estranged was awesome.

con: the bitch ass fans that wined and moaned for the next 24 hours cuz axl didnt play a new song. in a night full of technical problems and given the history of this band and leaks, why would you potentially play your new single and make it sound like shit to everyone on youtube forever.

I can guarantee that is NOT the big reason as to why the majority of fans are complaining

im not a music expert, but for at least half the setlist he was good, and sometimes great. so some shit happened. get the fuck over it. if you go into his weight next, hes the same build he was to finish the last tour. and he did pretty fucking well way way way way back then.

now there's a ringing endorsement.

im not a music expert, but for at least half the setlist he was good, and sometimes great. so some shit happened. get the fuck over it. if you go into his weight next, hes the same build he was to finish the last tour. and he did pretty fucking well way way way way back then.

I am just pointing out that the majority of people are complaining about Axl's unprepared demeanor, and sub par vocal performances throughout the show, not the fact that new songs were not played. Sure some people may complain about the set itself but that is not the main focus

I never mentioned weight at all. And cool, you think half the setlist was good. Obviously many, many people think otherwise and people have the right to vocalize their displeasure regarding what went down that night

have fun being a hater. i enjoyed the shit out of free show on youtube like a nerd. it ended poorly, but i just watched nighttrain, blues, kohd, and til, and it was pretty awesome and i wanted to come in here and talk shit. cuz if he sang like that in 2002 we would have been as happy as pigs in shit. if this is off night, im going to at least 4 US shows.

have fun being a hater. i enjoyed the shit out of free show on youtube like a nerd. it ended poorly, but i just watched nighttrain, blues, kohd, and til, and it was pretty awesome and i wanted to come in here and talk shit. cuz if he sang like that in 2002 we would have been as happy as pigs in shit. if this is off night, im going to at least 4 US shows.

awesome, brah. have fun poundin' beers, and i hope you get some pussy.

awesome, brah. have fun poundin' beers, and i hope you get some pussy.

well the first part i can 100 percent guarantee, but the im not counting on the second part.

Edited by suckerpunched03

That ITW 2012 has not made a thread about Axl's fucking yellow rain coat. Shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt. Iam being sarcastic. Reading his threads is like getting raped by the razor dildo in the Seven.

Edited by U2byU2

I didn't even realized he messed up on Chinese Democracy either until I just watched. Very weird, it's like his mind had absolutely no idea what verses of the songs were coming up and he just automatically started singing random points in the song.

it's almost like he didn't rehearse.

You need to rehearse LYRICS to songs that you just spent over a year singing on pretty much a nightly basis?

Just? Really? But the answer is apparently yes, if you fuck up November Rain, This I Love, CD and what else.. Yeah you really need to rehearse.

Look at 5:05-5:07. It looks like Axl sees someone in the audience and becomes supprised by it and then he plays in the wrong key.

Haven't looked at this specific time you mentioned, but watching this mess unfold live it looked to me like he made a little mistake (we all human after all) couldn't handle it and looked for his teleprompter of lyrics which put him off more, and rest is history.

You can hear some of the band try to switch and work for him and adapt to his mistakes and it all becomes a complete mess. Quite frankly if he rehearsed with them, or even jammed with these guys, both them and more importantly he, would be able to cover up each others mistakes and what not.

Sounds cheesey but its true, the more you jam with your band, the more you know them musically.

Axl was the single let down point, everyone worked and delivered.

Why do people have to insult those that have a different opinion than they do?

Pros

The band. I thought they were awesome. I was most impressed with DJ.

Estranged. This I Love. Heavens Door. Axl and company were on it.

Negatives

Axl being out of breath during the first song. And not having any wind for most of the show. I was just watching some 2010 videos and Axl was killing it. He was tearing up nightrain and rocketqueen. Last night, he couldn't catch his breath.

I didn't mind the screw ups as much as I minded him not saying something. An apology and a smile wild have done a tremendous amount of damage control.

Bringing beta on stage. I don't think she is helping Axl release music.

The biggest disappointment for me was no new music. CD was awesome. But one album in the last decade. It's ok to release more new music.

you guys blow EVERYTHING about GN'R out of proportion. No wonder Axl never communicates with the fans because anything he says, you guys will dissect the shit out of it and turn it into something he never even said.

then don't be a rockstar. Have no one care about your band and have you be unable to make a living at what you love. have a thin skin and cry at any backlash and criticism.

Ok. It's Sunday night in Rio. It's pouring rain, cold, and System of a Down plays way later than expected. And these crazy Brazilians aren't going to go home no matter the weather or time.

So you're Axl. Although it would make sense to cancel the show for practical and safety reasons, you have an incoming tour and a reputation to protect. You didn't play nice most of the last tour just to throw it all away. Plus, you don't want to let some of your most devoted fans down.

So you decide to play, but you are so disappointed that aren't going to be able to do all the great things you had planned. So all the hopes you had for the show are in the toilet. You wanted to play Oh My God, Estranged, new songs, and really deliver to the fans. But when the rain is hammering the stage, and you can't let loose and give your typical performance, you just decide to make it through the show with minimum casualties.

Maybe that's what happened.

in general thats true but the actual breakdown point was when he forgot the lyrics of NR and he looked up to his screen with the lyrics and he couldnt see it because it was covered against the rain. thats when he gave up. I saw this and felt like teleporting there and whispering the lyrics to his ear but I couldnt.

He rarely looks to his screen. It was only this time when he needed them and they were covered up

so f* this sh!t

here I captured that moment when the remainin 50% of his patience suddenly went to 0

2mcxh11.jpg

Edited by SL138

I read once that he can't hear the band or music sometimes so the TelePrompTer or whatever helps. mo source sorry I remember illusion era.

basically it was lashing down with rain and it was just impossible.

Festivals are weird anyway. once they get on the road in the US they'll be kicking ass again. the fear for the show, you all get ready cos here I come.

I saw it live on YouTube. Absolutely horrendous performance. Welcome to the Jungle was botched by the guitarist trying to wear that STUPID mask, repeatedly. For God Sakes, you're not in Slipknot! The old guns would have NEVER had screwed up THAT bad...well, not to my knowledge. Well, they wouldn't now because I think most of them are clean (although Steven Adler is still questionable). When he (Axl) tried to "sing" the high parts sounded horrible. When he screamed the highs, he was on, and his lows were on. Everyone is raving on how good Estranged sounded. I thought it was horrible towards the end.

Really, it looked like a half-assed performance on the part of the entire band.

What was up with all of the lame unoriginal jams? Baba 'O Riley? The Pink Panther? U2? Then Axl says "I tawt I taw a puddy tat". I might expect that from a 15 year old in his high school no named band trying to look cool and impress his friends, but not Axl. That was just lame.

I joined this forum because I wanted to take part in the discussion of this concert. I was hoping at least Axl would have sounded good because I was NEVER a supporter, and still am not of the new band or Chinese Democracy, but I still enjoy hearing Axl sing the classics. I don't know what happened. I wish I had answers. Maybe it was the weather, causing technical difficulties and well, I don't know how I'd perform in that kind of weather, either. Maybe it was his age, because he IS 49, nearly 50. Maybe it was lack of preparation. I heard he botched lyrics. From the start, it looked like Axl was totally on board with wanting to give a great show. I was actually shocked to hear him say such caring words of "I don't want anyone getting hurt" and whatever else he said because of the rainy conditions. I wouldn't expect that from someone like him.

I'll give Axl another shot before I totally write him off, but meanwhile I'm looking to see what happens in 2012. If you didn't know, Guns n' Roses was put on the ballot for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2012. If GnR is inducted, I'm curious to see what happens as a result.

Oh, and who caught the misspelling of "Chinese Democracy" on YouTube when displaying the song title? I think it was something like "Chinese Demoracy" or something like that. Not the band's fault, obviously but just kinda embarrassing.

Seriously, the rain was overwhelming. I think we need to take that factor more seriously. The stage was a giant puddle. All those guys were soaking wet. And the rain was cold. And that can be a very distracting thing. It can be quite miserable when you're stuck doing something in the rain. When I was in the Army, and we trained in the rain, we were some of those most miserable people on the planet, and when I think about Rio I can see some similarities for sure.

Axl is an all or nothing kind of guy. And if they had this amazing set list and concert planned, and then realized that it was going to be a miserable event, I could understand him playing it safe by not wrecking his voice and not wanting to play new songs or adventurous CD songs etc when the conditions are shitty. In fact, we should give them all credit, because all of them actually risked getting ELECTROCUTED just to play for us.

They probably thought by at least throwing Estranged in there, it would help please us demanding fans somewhat, or just enough to avert all out disaster and criticism.

I mean, if they played Oh My God at sound check, that tells me they planned on doing some crazy, surprising, fan pleasing shit at Rio!!!! Why would they rehearse a song that's over 10 years old which hasn't been played since the last Rio? They'd do it to purely surprise and please the fans. A lot of people love that song and talk about it on forums.

And even if they didn't play and completely new songs, but threw in Oh My God, Estranged, a few other rare CD songs, and maybe a couple of inspiring rants, we all would have been pretty happy and thankful for those efforts.

Maybe when it became clear sometime that night, that the weather was going to fucked their plans, and that System of a Down was playing too late, only making the weather situation worse, Axl and the band started having some drinks or whatever. Combining all of these issues sounds like a very possible reason for what happened.